Newbie Edge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Newbie Edge

Well this is my first actual and legit fishtank and I went with the Fluval Edge 6 gallon for both its size and styling as many others have gone.

I've always loved fishtanks and wanted to get another one so I finally bit the bullet and jumped on it when I came across the Edge.

I decided to go with a planted tank and am trying to do most things by the book.

I made the table from oak wood, another project that needed to be done until I could start the tank up and was pretty happy with the results.

Day 1
This is where I didn't follow any of the typical rules. I want the substrate to be pretty flat and natural, and I also went with a white sand to help with the Fluval Edge's underpowered lighting.

I centered the dwarf hairgrass beneath the light and will see how it grows and spreads with the given conditions. I also planted some narrow leaf java fern in the corners with two stems left over near the filter. My Eheim 50W Heater just arrived but am not sure when that will be installed because I don't have a siphon yet. Might try to scoop water out and install it, unsure as of yet. The water temperature is probably 60s-low 70s.

I'm also trying the supplied Nutrafin Cycle to see how effective it is at cycling the tank. Tested the water a couple hours after I initially set it up and it appeared to be ph 7.8, Ammonia .50 ppm, 0 Nitrates, 0 Nitrites with the first dosing of Nutrafin Cycle. I'll add another 7.5ml tonight and the rest of the container (7.5ml) tomorrow night.

There is no hardscape because honestly people charge way too much for wood and rocks and I can't justify their costs. I live in FL so I'll probably scour the beaches and rivers for my own but until then I'll just keep the tank with the plants and see how they grow before adding fish.

I did add some Seachem Flourish and I'll probably dose it once a week. Barely adding any because it's only 6 gallons so it's like the first thread on the cap. Also keeping it lowtech so no lighting upgrades or Co2.

Last edited by Menace; 02-04-2014 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Fixing stuff.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

You might want to add Co2 for the dhg to flourish. I have just noticed even with low tech tanks besides the exception of moss, plants love the Co2. good luck!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a small tank, I don't want to clutter it with equipment to be honest. I want to keep things pretty clean. I just installed the Eheim 50W heater and that thing is pretty large. It disturbed a lot of the DHG and made quite a mess trying to move those suction cups around.

I saw a 50W Tetra heater that was a really good size but all the reviews said the Eheim was the most reliable so I went with that instead.

Honestly as long as the plants survive and don't wilt away I'll be happy. It doesn't necessarily have to have a nice lush carpet. Just experimenting.

Last edited by Menace; 01-21-2014 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Editing
Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a side note. Will the plants fair better with the cooler temperatures or should I turn on the heater?

Last edited by Menace; 01-21-2014 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Editing
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 2

The DHG was pretty close to the back of the tank and I guess I didn't know how big the EHEIM 50W Heater was going to be.

Anyway this is my first planted tank and so far no change to the plants. The DHG was really nice looking from the store (Petsmart, Topfin) and the Java Fern was nice as well. I'm going to do 8 hours of light and see how well that works.

Edit
pH 7.4
Ammonia .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I tested the water prior to adding the 2nd dosing of Nutrafin Cycle. Nothing appears to have changed except the pH went from 7.8 to 7.4.

Last edited by Menace; 01-21-2014 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Test Parameters added.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 3

All the plants appear to be doing really well. I keep disturbing the DHG so some pieces have become dislodged and floated to the top of the tank. In the picture the DHG looks like it is yellowing but in person it is still very green. No signs of growth but at the same time no signs of melting either. I purchased some Seachem Flourish Excel but am undecided when I should introduce it to the tank. Should I wait until the plants appear to be in trouble or should I introduce it right away and hope they take a liking to it?

Currently I only have enough for 2 things to run at once on my outlet, so I turn the heater on when the light gets turned off. If this is ill advised please let me know. Tomorrow I should be getting my outlet panel that makes my 2 outlet into a 6 outlet.

Today I straightened the heater because it was bothering me and I added some more water as it became low from me moving things around and testing water. This resulted in the waterflow burrowing the center of the sand which moves a little too easily.

I don't plan on testing the water tonight but I'll add the final dosing of Nutrafin cycle and test tomorrow night to see if it is ready for livestock or if the Nutrafin cycle didn't work. I know someone who has a small piece of driftwood, just a matter of getting it from them and I'll wait to add livestock anyway until I have more hardscape items. Until then just waiting to see if these plants will thrive has been enjoyable.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice! I love the white sand. I wanted to go that route but I was afraid it would be too hard to keep clean, so I went with black fluorite instead. I love the look of my Edge tank, but yeah, they're no fun to do work in.

I'd get a power strip rather than a 6-outlet panel. That gives you surge protection and the ability to turn everything tank-related off with one press of the switch. I assume you have a timer for your light? Or are you hand-timing the photosynthesis light cycle?

Is that the stock 21 LED light for the tank? One thing people do is buy the 42 LED upgrade, Fluval sells it with the 12 gal Edge tank, but you can buy it separately as a "replacement part" and it fits in exactly the same way.

I decided to ditch the light entirely and upgrade everything, and switched to a canister filter. Ultimately I'll get an in-line heater to remove the heater from inside the tank entirely.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Nice! I love the white sand. I wanted to go that route but I was afraid it would be too hard to keep clean, so I went with black fluorite instead. I love the look of my Edge tank, but yeah, they're no fun to do work in.

I'd get a power strip rather than a 6-outlet panel. That gives you surge protection and the ability to turn everything tank-related off with one press of the switch. I assume you have a timer for your light? Or are you hand-timing the photosynthesis light cycle?

Is that the stock 21 LED light for the tank? One thing people do is buy the 42 LED upgrade, Fluval sells it with the 12 gal Edge tank, but you can buy it separately as a "replacement part" and it fits in exactly the same way.

I decided to ditch the light entirely and upgrade everything, and switched to a canister filter. Ultimately I'll get an in-line heater to remove the heater from inside the tank entirely.
The future inhabitants will be shrimp, kuhli loaches, and a couple snails. Hopefully that will keep the sand pretty clean. I also have the foam filter on the inlet tube and probably going to go with purigen packs once my carbon filter has ceased to work.

I've got some Flourish Excel on the way, got to get some hardscape pieces and still need to find some more plants that I like. I don't want to overload it but keep it pretty simple.

This This
is the outlet extension I'm getting. It'll be one less wire to worry about and has a built in surge protector. Right now I am hand switching the light but may switch to a timer later on.

As far as upgrades and modifications I want to keep things stock more or less. That's majorly why I centered the DHG beneath the light, hopefully that is enough for it to survive.

Last edited by Menace; 01-21-2014 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: .
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
HuntCast
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Take the java fern out of the sand, and tie it to thread to a rock or piece of wood, or you will kill it shortly.
HuntCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntCast View Post
Take the java fern out of the sand, and tie it to thread to a rock or piece of wood, or you will kill it shortly.
Yeah I just read on here that Java fern needed to be grown outside of the substrate. It just seemed like a stem plant.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
MantisX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hi, for a heater I used one of the nano heaters by petsmart. Its a 7.5 watt that I have wedged in the filter between the filter media and the filter housing. So far its working great. It keeps the water between 74-78 degrees. I got the 15 watt version for my wifes 8 gallon and her temp is about the same, maybe a degree higher.

Also, if you inject CO2, theres a post on this site that shows you how to inject it into the filter. Ive done these things and nothing is in the tank but the filter intake.

MantisX
MantisX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks MantisX,

I'm pretty content with the heater currently. From what I read EHEIM makes some good stuff. I just need to get a thermometer and
This This
is the one I'm looking to get. Good price, kind of like that it goes into the substrate and I'll just get some small rocks or something to decorate around it. Put it off in the back corner or something.

As for Co2, because my table is open (although I plan on getting a plant or something to go beneath the table and hide wires) I really don't have much room to add much. It would be nice if the DHG carpets but as long as it doesn't die I'll be happy.

Last edited by Menace; 01-21-2014 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: .
Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Eheim heater is great, one of the best for sure. They're just freaking HUGE!

I just picked up a
Cobalt NeoTherm heater Cobalt NeoTherm heater
for mine, Santa Amazon just dropped it off. I'm curious to see if it's small enough to wedge into the stock HOB filter, thus keeping it out of the tank. I'm not using that HOB anymore since I just switched to a canister, but I'm still curious to see. Ultimately I still hope to build it into some sort of in-line heater to keep it out of the tank entirely, however.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Menace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
The Eheim heater is great, one of the best for sure. They're just freaking HUGE!

I just picked up a Cobalt NeoTherm heater for mine, Santa Amazon just dropped it off. I'm curious to see if it's small enough to wedge into the stock HOB filter, thus keeping it out of the tank. I'm not using that HOB anymore since I just switched to a canister, but I'm still curious to see. Ultimately I still hope to build it into some sort of in-line heater to keep it out of the tank entirely, however.
I saw someone that had an Edge on youtube that uses that filter and it seemed just as big as the EHEIM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
wade0328
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)

Good lookin stuff! Fluval Edge is very sleek looking for sure. Also I am liking the stand you made!

wade0328 is offline   Reply With Quote