Nano for Cherrys or Tangerine Tigers - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I placed my order with Amazon today but hat to omit the heater, extra filter pads, and foam intake as it added an extra $15 in shipping and I would rather give the dough to my LFS if I'm going to over pay so they will still be there when I need them.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Well I found the Betta Stik heater at my LFS for $7 and my Amazon order came in and of couse the Stratum is fine, the little Fluval thermometer is great and very small, but the light is sub par and may need to be returned. It only has 2 watts of lighting power over all so this would be more like an experiment to see how low you can go and still grow something, plus the shrimp light to sustain life, I think. Anyway I couldn't find any good info on the light other than it wa 10 inches long but that's overall the actual head area of diodes is 3 inches by 1.5 inches.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

I say ditch the stick-on thermometer, as it won't give you accurate readings you're looking for. Get one of the Fluval Ebi/Flora thermometers for $1-$2 - they're perfect and nearly disappear in my 2.5gal tanks.

When it comes to filtration - if you're using Red Sea Nanos - just get whatever cheap filter foam you can find at the LFS or one of the online retailers and cut it down to size. Don't spend more than a couple bucks and you'll have enough to last for years and years. (I also run ceramic media in mine)

Black pantyhose will also do the trick for covering the intake and won't take up any valuable space in the tank. Stretch it really, really tight over the strainer and tie a rubber band around it.

Glad to see other folks doing small tanks like this!
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the reply, I wanted some feedback. On the thermometer I use one similar in my big tank but in this nano I want nothing, no drop checkers or big foam, so it I know my temp is between 75 to 77 that will be good enough and I can put it on the far side of the tank where it's not visible.

I was thinking of a little bio media in the filter and if I do ladies stockings I will most likely spray paint the intake flat black first and use a black wire tie to attach it. I have a ton of filter floss that might work but the pads are so cheap and it might be wise to have a little carbon for clean water.

I'm really excited about this tank and I want the shrimp to shine and all equipment to disappear or not be seen at all.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

For RCS the little stick on thermometers are perfect. You won't need a super accurate temperature anyways so what you have would work fine.

I'm not very familiar with the Red Sea Nano filters but you don't want to attach the pantyhose so it's a hassle to get off. When I used to have only a pantyhose over the intake of my whisper filter, it would clog up maybe every three days? Now I have a sponge inside the pantyhose to increase the entire area and that doesn't clog ever. It also allows a second place for beneficial bacteria to grow, but I see you already have a sponge filter so that would be up to you :]
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

yeah, that sponge filter should be plenty for filtration, you could leave the red sea empty and it just be a powerhead and oxygenator... if you wanted, you could put biomedia or carbon in the filter, but just another thing to clean when the sponges are made to do the job. I have the red sea filter and so far it has worked great, did have an issue just 2 days ago where sand finally stopped the impeller... all good again now though, I have already replaced the in filter sponge after 6 months, because it got too clogged, even with rinsing every week in tank water. Thats why I suggested leaving it empty...
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #22
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

When it comes to that tank, keep in mind that putting a sponge inside it is going to take a ton of room. I'm a fan of just running sponge pieces inside the Red Sea. Works really, really well for me and I use broken pieces of Fluval ceramic and/or the AquaClear ceramic pellets behind the sponge.

These little filters are actually roomy enough that you could put a bit of purigen in some pantyhose or a media bag if you ever needed.

And about the stick-on thermometers. They're even less accurate with tiny tanks and are more prone to ambient room temperature. If you end up using a Hydor mini heater, you'll need a super-accurate thermometer to make sure you aren't cooking your shrimp. It's worth the $1 investment in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #23
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I keep the house pretty cool in the winter with 70 degree while we are awake and 68 while we sleep so I'll use the Betta Stik which is preprogrammed and to what temp I don't know but Betta's like it hot, from 77 to 83 so this would be too hot for shrimp and moss. So the heater is rated for tanks up to 2.5 gallon and is supposed to be on 24/7 but I put it on a timer and have it on for an hour and off for 3 or what ever gets the job done so the tank stays at 75 degrees.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #24
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Marina/Hagen and Marineland both make small heaters that are a constant 77/78. That's what I had to upgrade my tanks to. About $12 a pop online or about $20 at your LFS, usually.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I keep the house pretty cool in the winter with 70 degree while we are awake and 68 while we sleep so I'll use the Betta Stik which is preprogrammed and to what temp I don't know but Betta's like it hot, from 77 to 83 so this would be too hot for shrimp and moss. So the heater is rated for tanks up to 2.5 gallon and is supposed to be on 24/7 but I put it on a timer and have it on for an hour and off for 3 or what ever gets the job done so the tank stays at 75 degrees.
My apartment stays at ~70 degrees all the time (people above and below me seem to blast heat so my heat hasn't even turn on once ). I find if you have a lid to your tank, my tank water stays at ~74. Fluctuates to 72 at night and 76 if the sun shines on the windows. But haven't had to use a heater.

RCS can survive in lower temperatures, as long as its ALWAYS that low. They'll do fine if your temperature is 70 during the day and 68 at night.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
Naekuh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Both shrimpnmoss and mordalphus have shrimp tanks set up along the lines of what you are suggesting (using UGF that are pipes or tubes and which are powered by external canister filters).
morph just made one ... im following it.. and i see why they do that..
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...how-sorta.html

im actually going to copy his route in my next tank.

So if your starting a new tank, i would go with this route, as its what most of our shirmp guru's uses and works.
Naekuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

When running an under-gravel filter, keep in mind that you may have to tear your tank down if you run into major clogs or problems. That's not always conducive to keeping a planted tank or aquascape that you wish to maintain for a long period of time.

And in a small tank like a 2.5gal setup, it's not as easy to do without taking up valuable tank real estate. It's why most people use small HOBs or small canisters on little tanks.

Lots of shrimp folks here on the forum (and elsewhere) swear my sponge filters in shrimp-only tanks. Cost effective, easy to clean, quiet, shrimp-safe. But that's usually just in tanks larger than a 2.5gal.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

If the tank were a little larger I have a 2215 I could use with the UGF but it would be to much for the RedSea nano filter.

I am waiting for some Fissidens from Chad and a couple of other mosses which will be perfect for this tank, I also have some small pieces of driftwood that broke off a larger piece during shipping. The light I ordered came in and I hope it's enough to make moss grow it's really under powered and may have to be replaced with only 2 watts of output.

Thanks to all for all the heating info too.

What should I do to cycle this tank prior to adding any shrimp, I've read the Stratum doesn't get an ammonia spike like other substrates but I could use some help in this area.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
If the tank were a little larger I have a 2215 I could use with the UGF but it would be to much for the RedSea nano filter.

I am waiting for some Fissidens from Chad and a couple of other mosses which will be perfect for this tank, I also have some small pieces of driftwood that broke off a larger piece during shipping. The light I ordered came in and I hope it's enough to make moss grow it's really under powered and may have to be replaced with only 2 watts of output.

Thanks to all for all the heating info too.

What should I do to cycle this tank prior to adding any shrimp, I've read the Stratum doesn't get an ammonia spike like other substrates but I could use some help in this area.
Did you get Chad's moss starter pack? I got one a while ago and loved it. So many mosses.

A little filter media from the big tank maybe? Do you have the clay things in your filter on that one? If so, you can toss a couple of those in the filter on this one for a week or so.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #30
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Shrimp have very low bioload so as long as you squeeze out a filter from an established tank that will be all the beneficial bacteria you need. Cut down on the feedings for the first week and you should be fine.

I know my flourite black didn't change my water parameters at all (except made my water extremely cloudly). No experience with fluvial stratum though.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank