Nano for Cherrys or Tangerine Tigers - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #151
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

that's possible Cable or I didn't wait long enough but I think I might do a small water change tonight, I think there is something wrong. I added bio media and filter mulm from my 2217 but it may not been enough, but they are not very active.

150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #152
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
that's possible Cable or I didn't wait long enough but I think I might do a small water change tonight, I think there is something wrong. I added bio media and filter mulm from my 2217 but it may not been enough, but they are not very active.
A water change may not be a bad idea. You really need a way to watch ammonia though. It can appear even when the other stuff has not come up yet.

I would suggest a 10 - 20% water change. Not too much more than that. You want to try to let it cycle, but at the same time, clean the water a bit. (Why am I telling you all this? I am sure you know already.)

On another note, that tank looks great. The only thing I would suggest is to keep the stem plants on one side, and leave the other side to the crypts. Or gather them around the filter intake and heater to hide it. Maybe put the crypts on the other side?
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #153
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Cable it's been since 2004 for my last cycled tank so fire away.

I just did a 5% water change into a 16 ounce cup, I had a filter I won for a larger HOB and it also had carbon in it, so I cut it to fit and slid it in behind my sponge. Right away they got more active and were swiming to the new water as it entered, that's pretty common my fish do the same. A little fresh water and carbon can't hurt or we will see in the morning.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing on the plants but for now I'm just chucking in extra stuff.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #154
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

That definately helped, they are way more active so something was bothering them, I've got one more dead one too but that's what got me moving I saw it having a fit like a little spring, 16 now.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #155
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Cable it's been since 2004 for my last cycled tank so fire away.

I just did a 5% water change into a 16 ounce cup, I had a filter I won for a larger HOB and it also had carbon in it, so I cut it to fit and slid it in behind my sponge. Right away they got more active and were swiming to the new water as it entered, that's pretty common my fish do the same. A little fresh water and carbon can't hurt or we will see in the morning.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing on the plants but for now I'm just chucking in extra stuff.
The carbon will help a bit. I would also suggest some purigen or whatever it is that takes the ammonia out of the water. Maybe running a bit of that will help. They probably also thought you were adding food to the tank as well. But they could have been going towards the cleaner water, no way to really tell.

Don't wait too long to scape it, or you will be ticking off the shrimp again.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #156
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

The Carbon should do the same thing as Purgen, I fed them earlier and I did see one or 2 eat but they didn't come running, after a couple hours I remove the food or the main part a couple of crumbs do remain but not much. I'm going to keep a closer eye on them but those couple measures should help.

I think I'll take all the stems from the right and move them over in front of the filter to hide every thing and move the Crypt to the right, I'll add more S. porto velho up front but I might have to wait for a club meeting.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #157
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Toss in floaters temporarily.

Seems to help.

I wouldn't worry too much unless something is really wrong with your water.

Obviously you don't want any losses but I have noticed that if the water is a little bit bad it will just sort of thin the herd - there seems to be a big difference between the hardiest of the shrimp and the weakest. You get a few deaths and think "oh no, they are all going to die" but they usually don't.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #158
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The Carbon should do the same thing as Purgen, I fed them earlier and I did see one or 2 eat but they didn't come running, after a couple hours I remove the food or the main part a couple of crumbs do remain but not much. I'm going to keep a closer eye on them but those couple measures should help.

I think I'll take all the stems from the right and move them over in front of the filter to hide every thing and move the Crypt to the right, I'll add more S. porto velho up front but I might have to wait for a club meeting.
I think it will look much better that way. And hiding all the equipment will add to the minimalistic look you are going for equipment wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Toss in floaters temporarily.

Seems to help.

I wouldn't worry too much unless something is really wrong with your water.

Obviously you don't want any losses but I have noticed that if the water is a little bit bad it will just sort of thin the herd - there seems to be a big difference between the hardiest of the shrimp and the weakest. You get a few deaths and think "oh no, they are all going to die" but they usually don't.
+1 on the floaters if you have any. And helping Darwin along may not be bad in the long run. Sounds terrible, I know, but it may help to have the more hardy ones survive and breed as opposed to the "princesses" reproducing.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #159
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Have you fed the shrimp anything after introducing them? The filter mulm should have been enough for only 20 RCS, though, this is 2.5g we're talking about. Mini cycle seems possible but it seems a lot of the shrimp died after molting?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #160
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah I put food in every day, Hikari Algae wafers pieces and after a couple hours I remove anything uneaten, today a couple ate but most are on the filter foam, plants, and driftwood just cleaning house, the Cherry's in my community tank never eat.

They haven't wanted food really and I asked the seller what he fed and it was Hikari Algae wafers, so...

They seem a lot better after the little water change and Carbon, they are more active. I'll play it buy ear but I'll do more water changes if needed and I have more carbon too. I'm not freak'n out or anything but just making sure I'm doing all I can to help them survive and I think they will, BTW 16 is still kick'n but won't make it.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #161
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yeah I put food in every day, Hikari Algae wafers pieces and after a couple hours I remove anything uneaten, today a couple ate but most are on the filter foam, plants, and driftwood just cleaning house, the Cherry's in my community tank never eat.
There must be some stuff that came over from the other tank then. Once that is gone, they will go after the wafer.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #162
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

They haven't wanted food really and I asked the seller what he fed and it was Hikari Algae wafers, so...

They seem a lot better after the little water change and Carbon, they are more active. I'll play it buy ear but I'll do more water changes if needed and I have more carbon too. I'm not freak'n out or anything but just making sure I'm doing all I can to help them survive and I think they will, BTW 16 is still kick'n but won't make it.
So shrimp alone won't have any bioload. However, once you start feeding them there is an issue where you could cause a mini cycle as the food have nearly as much bioload as a fish. I think that's the issue you had that may have killed off some of your shrimp. RCS can go for at least 3 or 4 days just munching on goodies in your tank. So I would lay off the food during this time and make sure the tank cycles correctly!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #163
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not leaving the food in too long and I use a 50 ml syringe and a piece of CO2 tubing to remove any of the wafer that is un-eaten and softens, so the tank shouldn't be getting much bio load. But I agree there is plenty to eat in the tank, all the plants are form an established tank and covered with goodies, the intake filter foam, and the DW are all hot spots, and at the same time I like to throw something in to gauge there health and today was the fisrt time a couple ate and the first one came right away so that is a good sign.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #164
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Hm... from the symptoms you discussed it really does sound like a mini cycle though. But you haven't left in the food long either, maybe that little time could have caused enough nitrate to accumulate. Glad they are starting to eat the food. A good way to tell if they are hungry is look at how much poop they have :X! If their insides aren't completely filled it means they are hungry.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #165
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I check nitrites (0) and nitrates daily (1 or 2) but very low, I'll change a little more water tomorrow but the carbon should help too, might just be shrimp that were stressed from the molt/travel, etc.