Planning on getting back in the game
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
wintermute
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planning on getting back in the game

I've been out of the hobby for about 5 years and looking to get back in. Looking to do a nano (5 gallon) tank. I have a traditional 5-gal glass tank lying around, but I my better half would be alot happier if I went with an all-in-one type system that doesn't have filters and hoses hanging anywhere. I've read a lot of good things about the Fluval Spec V and the prices seems pretty reasonable. Is the stock lighting adequate for a low light/low tech system (wattage and temp/color)? And is there any way to automate the daylight/nightlight changes?
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

The daylight/nightlight changes are controlled by a hard switch on the light itself. There is no way to automate it to switch back and forth as far as I know.

I have it switched to daylight and have a timer hooked up to it. Just no blue lights.

I just got my Spec V so I cannot comment on plant growth with the stock light. There is a thread in this subforum that is about the spec V. Some people have grown a lot of low light plants with the stock light.

The post on the top of this page uses stock light only. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=197376&page=8

Seems like if you want a little more oomph out of your light a lot of people in the spec v thread seem to like finnex lights.

Hope this helps.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

If you don't like exposed hardware, just get some lily pipes, and store your filter and CO2 tank underneath the aquarium. I would change out the light if you plan on growing med/high light plants.

You could, open up the light and install your own system to automate the daylight/nightlight. In general the blue lights are unnecessary. I turn mine on manually, when I feel like it. :P

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the Spec V but I was using mine as a quarantine with just some hornwort and a Marineland 18" doublebright on top so I can't comment on the stock light. The doublebright grew hornwort like a SOB, I was scooping big handfuls of the stuff out weekly which was great since I tossed it in the sump of my 90 gallon.
I'm no great judge of light intensity but I'd say that the doublebright put it into at least medium light, probably not high light though.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
wintermute
Algae Grower

Thanks all. I'm trying to keep this a KISS, KICS (Keep it Cheap, Stupid) tank. Low Light, Low Tech, no CO2 (although I may does with Flourish Excel, if warranted). I'm completely happy with java fern, crypts, and the like. Some bog wood, a couple of tetras, rasboras, or WCMs, and some shrimp. Although a "lawn" might be nice, I don't think it's in the cards, and I definitely don't have the time for an ADA type setup.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Try DHG for a lawn. Grows slow but steady in low tech.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

The Spec V looks really nice if you like the aluminum edges. I am not fond of them on the smaller Spec but like them just fine on the 5. I didn't know about the moon light issue but that wouldn't bug me as I have one on one of my tanks and don't really like it anyway.

You have other options from Eheim and Aqueon but they both are cubes.

Another thing is their are some very decently priced rimless tanks out now. Mr. Aqua was the first but I just saw some Aquatop ones at my LFS and they looked better, had high clarity glass, and were not very expensive at all. That gives you room to customize to your liking. That would be my choice. I bought my curved glass rimless for about the same as a high clarity Aquatop. You can do cheap/effective lighting with hanging/clamp on CFL lighting really easily on a tank that small.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
wintermute
Algae Grower

I ordered the Spec V (25% off sale on Petco's website). I'm thinking of setting this up with just several a. nana on a large piece of driftwood, gravel and river rocks as substrate, and if it looks too barren (which I hope it won't), maybe a java moss wall (if it doesn't use up too much space). I'll likely stock it with a small school of chili or maculata rasboras and some shrimp (yes, this is alot different than what I posted about a week ago). I appreciate the ADA/Amano/iwagumi aquascapes, but I want this to look like a little "life sized" chunk of a larger biotope, not a miniaturized world.

What type of fertilizing/dosing will I need to keep these plants going since I will not be using eco-complete/aquasoil/fluval stratum?