Difference between Platy and Molly
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency

Difference between Platy and Molly

Please describe what you know of or think the difference/similarities between platy and mollies.

I go first with

1)They are both live bearers
2)They look kind of similar in shape
3)They are constantly having fun and poping babies

now your turn
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Mollies are a little bit bigger, and mollies seem to have more shapes. Other than that, they seem the same.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mollies and platies are very similar. Mollies get bigger. Sexing on Mollies is way easier. Platies, and Swordtails can interbreed among each other. IMO platies are hardier and breed faster.

P.S. Swordtails are better! ;D
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
TheJadeShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Platies tend to have shorter body's rounder bodies. The mollie is a longer sleek fish. Mollies were the fish fish I ever kept back 13 years ago. They are fun fish.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Other then what is mentioned above, platies are soley freshwater fish, while mollies are brackish (but have been adapted to freshwater).
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Java Moss
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mollies will pick at little algaes on decorations.

Platies use the decoration to hide out and boom-chicka-wow-wow.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Java Moss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found mollies far more difficult to keep back when I lived in Florida and my water was liquid rock. My platies thrived whereas I could never keep mollies healthy. I'm not sure if this is typical but I've steered clear of mollies since then.
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Platy and Molly

Hello Wing...

I'll take the comparison a little further. I keep large tanks of Fancy Guppies and have read a little on "Livebearers" in general. All will do well with a little standard aquarium salt in the water. A teaspoon per every five gallons of your water change water is sufficient. I've been using aquarium salt in my Guppy tanks for a number years with good results.

Platys are much hardier. Mollys aren't as tolerant of mistakes in tank management. They're very picky about water conditions, like water temperature and also diet.

If you keep Platys, you can skip a water change every so often, but you'd better get used to weekly water changes of at least 50 percent with Mollys. Maybe we need to be doing large, weekly water changes anyway. That's what I do.

Mollys are also very senative to cramped tanks. A pair of Mollys are fine in a small 20 G, but if you keep other fish with them, a 50 G minimum is needed.

Can't recall anything else. Hope this info. is helpful.

B
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Wing...

I'll take the comparison a little further. I keep large tanks of Fancy Guppies and have read a little on "Livebearers" in general. All will do well with a little standard aquarium salt in the water. A teaspoon per every five gallons of your water change water is sufficient. I've been using aquarium salt in my Guppy tanks for a number years with good results.

Platys are much hardier. Mollys aren't as tolerant of mistakes in tank management. They're very picky about water conditions, like water temperature and also diet.

If you keep Platys, you can skip a water change every so often, but you'd better get used to weekly water changes of at least 50 percent with Mollys. Maybe we need to be doing large, weekly water changes anyway. That's what I do.

Mollys are also very senative to cramped tanks. A pair of Mollys are fine in a small 20 G, but if you keep other fish with them, a 50 G minimum is needed.

Can't recall anything else. Hope this info. is helpful.

B
Good afternoon, B...

Mollies are actually quite hardy, in fact they are one of few aquarium fish that can easily go from full fresh to full salt. Mollies are probably more hardy than platies simply because they can regulate their internal organs to take in and expel chemicals. 10 pairs in a 20 would be sufficient with a little room for babies to be born. While using aquarium salt is okay, I would not reccomend willy nilly in case of an overdose and the fact that the TDS would fluctuate.

D

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
RandomMan
Planted Tank Obsessed

As someone who has messed around with live bearers for years, I've never had a problem with Mollies being finicky, and certainly never needed 50 gallons to keep more than 2 or had to do water changes every week.

I'm not sure where that is coming from, I've never heard that before, and it certainly doesn't match my experience.

The two things to watch out for with mollies:
1. They don't like high nitrates. A few live plants in the tank help keep Nitrates in check.
2. They like hard water with a high PH.

As long as you are doing those two things, they should be fine. Some species require a little salt in the water (Black mollies tend to have skin issues without salt), some are fine without it.

Note: This is in regard to your "normal" mollies and balloon mollies. I have never kept Sailfin Mollies, which are much larger than "normal" mollies.

I've always had good luck with mollies and platies. Guppies on the other hand have given me issues.
RandomMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
JessDay06
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have had lots of mollies in the past. I even had a few in my reef tank at one time. Never had any trouble with them dying or not breeding. On the other hand, I could never keep platys alive. Until just this year they always died on me. I have seven Mickey Mouse Platys now and they have been alive 6 months or more. That's a record.
JessDay06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #12
CaptainPictusIII
Algae Grower

I have found that mollies are not as timid as some platys. They both breed very easily but for some reason my young platys get pregnant too young sometimes which causes them to get sick after birth. Also I strongly recommend aquarium salt when keeping mollys. The aquarium salt tends to give the fish a better chance of staying healthy. Both are great fish but if I had to pick between a molly or a platy I would pick molly hands down because of there curious nature. Mollys love to peck at sinking algae wafers and it's fun to watch.
CaptainPictusIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Funny how different our experiences are. I was an accidental serial killer of not only the mollies I talked about but guppies also. In heavily planted tanks with liquid rock for water and big water changes each week. Tried the salt trick too.

I finally stopped buying them all out of mercy for the fishies. My house was fishy death row.

Anyway, I've recently fallen in love with livebearers all over again and am putting platies in my 75g. They're so colorful and peaceful. I love them!
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency

I found the babies of the mollies grow faster than the platy by far.
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
TedP
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I find mollies to be pretty hardy as well. Right now, I'm keeping wild sailfin mollies in my 30g planted tank as well as a Rubbermaid tub on the back patio. They breed constantly, the males are relentless.

Fry survive much better in my densely planted (packed with guppy grass and milfoil) outside tub. For most of the summer, I fed lightly once a day and pretty much left the tub alone.

Off topic but if you want hardy, try mosquito fish. Those things bred like crazy in the tub for 2 months with no supplemental feeding. The tub is covered too.
TedP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.