PMDD mix? now what?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

PMDD mix? now what?

It was suggested by a few people on here to get some PMDD mix in my tank.

one part of each of the following fertilizers.
potassium nitrate
potassium sulfate
Plantex CSM+B
magnesium sulfate

I also got 500 ML Fertilizer Dispenser.

So now what do I do with it? I guess I should have asked that.

I also got the following
CSM+B NKP Iron Combo Pack

Plantex CSM+B 1/2 pound
Potassium Nitrate KNO3 1 pound
Potassium Sulfate K2SO4 1 Pound
Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 1/2 pound
Iron Chelate 11% 1/4 Pound
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Poor Man's Dosing Drops (PMDD) is an outdated fertilization scheme that limits phosphate, in an attempt to limit algae without also limiting plant growth. It didn't work very well. The recipe you listed is in the style of PMDD, distinguished by the lack of phosphate and addition of magnesium.

It was also the first major scheme to use inexpensive dry ferts. Thus the "Poor Man's" name. So occasionally someone will still call any use of dry ferts PMDD, even if it doesn't follow a PMDD recipe; which is confusing.

It's unlikely you were actually told to use a PMDD recipe. If you were, it's probably bad advice; any remaining utility of PMDD is limited to experimentation and special situations.

Instead, use the dry ferts to dose Estimative Index (EI) as described here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I was going off this post I sent out

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-question.html
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
dundadundun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Poor Man's Dosing Drops (PMDD) is an outdated fertilization scheme that limits phosphate, in an attempt to limit algae without also limiting plant growth. It didn't work very well. The recipe you listed is in the style of PMDD, distinguished by the lack of phosphate and addition of magnesium.

It was also the first major scheme to use inexpensive dry ferts. Thus the "Poor Man's" name. So occasionally someone will still call any use of dry ferts PMDD, even if it doesn't follow a PMDD recipe; which is confusing.

It's unlikely you were actually told to use a PMDD recipe. If you were, it's probably bad advice; any remaining utility of PMDD is limited to experimentation and special situations.

Instead, use the dry ferts to dose Estimative Index (EI) as described here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html
yes, but considering he already has them... and the others in a separate package, he certainly could dose po4 and N on his off days. the extra mg isn't going to hurt anything. just account for it in your dosing by using 75% of your calculations if you're going by volume. of course you could calculate by molecular weight if you wanted to, but it doesn't have to be that specific.
dundadundun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I looked at the link, and it appears they were indeed using PMDD as a generic description for dry ferts, rather than the specific PMDD recipe.

With the nearly comprehensive collection of dry ferts you have, you can dose EI, PMDD, PPS-PRO, MCI; anything you want.

I agree with Dundadundun that a little extra magnesium probably won't hurt, and may help if your tapwater is deficient. I used to dose true PMDD, and when I switched to EI I hybridized the recipes; carrying over some of the extra magnesium and potassium in PMDD to EI. Dosed that way for years. Nowadays most people test GH, and if needed, dose a GH Booster after water changes; which supplies extra magnesium, potassium, and calcium. There's a Pennsylvania ex-native sitting next to me, and she says the water was generally quite hard; so calcium probably isn't necessary.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

PMDD is fine if it's a low/medium tech tank. It's like the seachem fert lines.

There's no point to dosing EI other than a high tech tank with CO2.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
dundadundun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
There's a Pennsylvania ex-native sitting next to me, and she says the water was generally quite hard; so calcium probably isn't necessary.
that's highly dependent on the area and the water plant/supply available. where i sit, they revamped the local plant in 2006 and everything's been so different since it's unbelievable. dgh and dkh <2 at all times. mom's up in the mountains and hers is >15D. other plants up and down stream from me vary widely on the same source water.
dundadundun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I'm have good results with EI dosing, but my tank has just allowed me to start using a full dose, before the addition of a couple of new bulbs in my light fixture the plants were not growing fast enough to warrant a full dose, I think that was an important thing to mention or else you could just be feeding algae.

But with that said I have added 15ml daily of an Fe solution (the same Fe you have 11% DPTA) I added 1 tbsp of Iron Chelate 11% DPTA to 500 ml of water and dose 3 to 6 ml per 50 gallons of tank water, so on my 150 I ended up with 15 ml nightly, but I know folks here that dose double that on a 75 gallon tank, so you need to adjust the levels as needed. My plants colored up with Fe after the first day and I could dose more to bring out the reds in a couple of plants.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
JasonG75
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Here is a great link as well about PMDD

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html
The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
JasonG75 is offline   Reply With Quote