Calcium and Apple Snails
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
MnMist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Calcium and Apple Snails

I need some advise from Apple Snail lovers and how to supply their need for calcium.

I have limited areas to get supplys from. Pet stores could not tell me what to use for Apple snails. They sell the calcium in liquid form but knew only about salt water tanks. Nothing about fresh water and snails. So I bought the slow-release calcium block for turtles. What should I use?

How much to provide for them without causing problems for Bettas and other fish?

I am feeding them soft vegtables. Would stuff high in calcium provide enough for them?

I have two 20g tanks, one 6.5g tank, one 2g tank.

Appreciate any advice.
MnMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
ashes2ashes
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Foods high in calcium are very good for briggs/myster/apple snails. I feed mine a combination of straight calcium vitamins, tums, and snello (snail jello). The calcium tablets and the tums you can drop straight into the tank and the snails will eat them. The tums can get a little messy, but the snails love them and they are good for them. Snello is made using Knox Gelatin, baby food, powdered or crushed up calcium, and other things if you wish like fish food. I can get you an exact recipe if you need it. I also feed my snails things like blanched zucchini and fresh spinach and green beans. I have personally never used/seen a calcium block for turtles, so I don't know exactly how that works. Maybe someone else who knows more about those could weigh in about it. Good luck with your snails. The calcium is particularly important to the breeding mothers after they lay clutches. It depletes a lot of their calcium and sometimes causes their shells to have bad growth even when supplementing as much as you can.
ashes2ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
MnMist
Algae Grower

Thank you ashes.
I would like the recipe for snello. I got the snails to keep my tank clean. But since then have found them to be great pets too. They even have individual likes. I am starting to feed them better than myself. LOL.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
ashes2ashes
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

This is not my recipe...I copied it straight from something Rachel (Msjinkzd) posted on another forum in a thread about invert food recipes. It is the best one I have found yet though, and my snails love it!

Snail Jello
1 can of baby food (4-6 oz)
1 tsp+ fish food (may be omitted)
Calcium/vitamin supplements (I use 1tsp Jurassi-reptical powder w/out phosphorus)
1 packet (= 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin

You can select any fish food and any flavor of baby food that you like. Try to find baby foods with at least 4% calcium (vegetable medley has a higher %), either fruit or vegetable types are find. This is a good way to feed fish foods that are good for snails but don't sink, like freeze-dried shrimp, or fish foods that have a strong smell when cooked in other recipes. You can mix in much more than a teaspoon of fish food, and including the ingredients of a "snail trail mix" instead of a single fish food would make this snail treat more nutritionally complete.

Instructions

Open the baby food and pour it into a small bowl. Heat the baby food in the microwave for 60 seconds (caution, it will be very hot).

Stir in the unflavored gelatin (add it slowly to avoid unsightly clumps of gelatin; don't use a blender or you risk creating air bubbles that will make it float) crushing any lumps with the back of a spoon.

Add calcium supplements and vitamins if you have/want them. Stir thoroughly.

Pour this mixture into a dish with a flat bottom (tupperware-type containers work well; if you are doubling or tripling this recipe, you might consider a pie pan).* Fold in your fish food(s) if you are adding any.

Refrigerate for several hours, then return and cut into cubes.

One jar of baby food yields a good handful of snail treats. Keep them refrigerated until serving. These sink and hold up pretty well in the tank, but as with any food, large uneaten portions should be removed after the snails have finished. These can be frozen for up to a month.

*You can use an ice cube tray to create big treats for a tank full of snails. No slicing is needed in this case.
ashes2ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
MnMist
Algae Grower

Thanks for the recipe. Will give it a try.