75G - "Hanzomori" The Forest of Hanzo - a minimalist tank - 11.18 update - EGGS!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

75G - "Hanzomori" The Forest of Hanzo - a minimalist tank - 11.18 update - EGGS!!!

After having a successfully planted 56G tank for 9 months now, I've gotten a second tank.

I've been thinking about how to scape/plant it for over a week and haven't firmly decided anything yet. At first, I wanted to make moss trees with the branches, but am leaning towards leaving them bare and just planting a carpet.

substrate: PFS from Leslie's, and some ecco-complete for that black gravel area.

wood: bleached Mitsumata branches that were ~48" as the first photo shows. I've cut most of them in-half. I've been soaking them...not sure how they were bleached, so trying to leech out anything harmful, doing water changes every/other day. you can see how much white crap has leeched out over 36 hrs between Thurs night when I first got them and this morning:

fish: planning on stocking this with some veiled white koi angelfish, maybe a mix with regular koi angelfish. I think I might get a mated pair at the next GCCA fish swap (Dec 4, so I better get this tank up planted and cycled by then).

lighting: going to be low light, inspired by darkoon's tank using the same fixture from homedepot. I'm probably going to suspend my fixture though, whereas darkoon has it sitting on the frame of the tank. either way, I'm probably going to swing by HD again tomorrow (was there today, bought the light) to pick up some black spray paint to give the fixture a matte black finish.

filtration: currently just an eheim 2215. probably going to add a second filter. trying to convince myself into getting another G6....though really, I should probably swap filters with the G6 from my 56G and leave it at that.

CO2: trying to avoid it all together for this tank...but I do have a regulator setup that's not being used for the 56G for some months now.

plants: still TBD. based on my lighting and no CO2, anyone got suggestions for a carpet? is there a plant to make a red carpet with?

UPDATE HOTLINKS
11.6 update

11.18 update, eggs!

75G - "Hanzomori"
56G - "Rise of the Agassizi"

Last edited by zenche; 11-18-2011 at 02:58 PM..
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
haddaj04
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Can't wait to see this tank take shape
haddaj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
green_valley
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

WHooooaaaaaaaa.............that would be a nice idea. I can't wait for more progress.

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
green_valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
ANBU
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

wow nice, im am staying tune for this thread...
ANBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Looking good!!
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

Sub'd. Cant wait to see the progress
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I didn't know who Hanzomori is or what the forest of Hanzo is so I googled it and this thread is number 1 and 2! Subscribed!
Hcancino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Very nice wood, interested to see how this turns out. Good idea on the soaking of the wood.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I kinda dig the way it looks in the first set of pictures.

And my Japanese has never been much good, but shouldn't it be Hanzo no Mori rather than Hanzomori?
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks everyone!

I'm also thinking of ordering some black acrylic wall designs of birch trees to put on the white walls.

leviathan, yes, technically it would be Hanzo no mori but I like the way hanzomori sounds better, rolls of the tongue better.

I wish i had taken a picture once I had cut the branches in half before I started soaking them. doh. but it looks better than how a cropped version of the first photo would look, since I have more "tops" now to use. and while I liked the tall look from the first photo a lot, it would creating a lighting nightmare

going to post a separate thread in GT asking for carpet suggestions.

75G - "Hanzomori"
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (47/100%)

Interesting idea and design. Love the wood pieces.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

spent a lot of time today on the light fixture...had to go to the hardware store again to pick up black spray paint (fyi, it's illegal in the city of chicago...homedepot doesn't carry it, but for some reason Ace has some in a backroom) and ceiling hangers.

didn't get one of the anchors right in the ceiling, but it'll do. spent a few hours coating/drying the light fixture and just hung it up 30 mins ago. timer arrives tomorrow to finish the lighting setup.

now that i've soaked the wood for 72 hrs, it looks much less 'white' now compared to the dry branches i still have. almost like it was kinda dyed instead of bleached. would suggest just going with the 'natural' finish for anyone who's interested in using decorative Mitsumata branches.

anyhoo, here's the tank exactly as it looks right now. during my trim of my 56G today, trimmed out several stems of red tiger lotus...decided to plop them in here for looks. Red + white looks really nice together....is there such a thing as a red carpet plant?

75G - "Hanzomori"
Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #13
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #14
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love the idea, can't wait to see it progress. I think a large school of angel fish in this would look amazing.

Or have you thought about some larger fish to protect your tank? I think an Oscar would be awesome. 75 gallon would be great for a big ol' black male oscar to protect your forest! Or even a white one I've never owned one myself but when I go to my LFS I find myself staring at them the longest because they seem to be the smartest aquarium fish and you can really tell they're thinking about things.

fusiongt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
fuzz_16
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

love this, but as hubby pointed out...the wire in the back is annoying and draws attention. thought about a background? spray paint cardboard or something?

oscars would knock everything down and ruin the plants. lol

i think some koi angels would look beautiful, or even black and white ones for contrast

why not do DHG framing the black sand and rocks toward the back and have it kinda grow out along the back of the tank to give it depth..or dwarf chain and the little bulbs it would send up be a nice effect.

do crypts in the back maybe? to get the red color but still be not super tall. maaay get long stems due to being low light though... -.- i do love the lily leaves in there though, it looks really good against the bleached wood

other than mosses idk a carpet plant that would grow in low light though
fuzz_16 is offline   Reply With Quote