Planted Tank gets an upgrade!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > The Planted Tank Information > Important Update/Announcements

Old 11-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Planted Tank gets an upgrade!

Just a quick forewarning. This weekend expect some downtime. We are upgrading our already beefy server to an even beefier server that will give us plenty of room to grow in the future.

Downtime should be contained to late evenings and early mornings, most of you probably wont' even notice a difference, but just wanted to let you know!

<personal-anecdote>
It astonishes me everyday how popular this website got. Its pretty amazing that is started out as this: http://web.archive.org/web/200208032...antedtank.net/

Now at our peak times we can have over 1,000 people on in a 15 minute window! Astonishing! Cheers to you all!
</personal-anecdote>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

That really is amazing how far this site has come. Great job Kyle! Thanks for the great site!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

Kyle you are seriously amazing.

Ya'll have no clue what a genius he is, and all the little things he does behind the scenes to make this forum so fantastic.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Udenlo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dude seriously amazing what you have done with this site. I'm a computer science minor in college, I don't think I could do half the stuff you have on this forum. Major props to Kyle and everyone else who helps behind the scenes!
Udenlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Nice! TPT is awesome and hands down the best site on the net for planted tanks and such.. Thank you for all the hardwork and thanks for the link to way back machine. Amazing difference
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I don't ever remember it looking like that but I didn't get here till late 2004, but this site immediately changed my tank from fish tank to a planted tank and it has never changed. I also looked for some of the older members I used to chat with and a lot of people have come and gone over the years but regardless this is my Internet home when it comes to anything planted in the aquarium, nice job ever body.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
TheWoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice new pair of shoes

Looking forward to learning as much as I can to make my aquarium what I envisage it to be.

I am inspired by the knowledge and information found on this forum.

Many thanks to everyone who is making themselves available to pass on their accumulated experience.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
cblwry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am fairly new to the Planted Tank but it has helped me immensly and I have learned so much from everyone here. Great Job Kyle!! And thank you for a wonderfully informative site. There is not another one that even comes close.
Sunsun Pimp #46 - HW 302
Always lurking on TPT to learn more!!
cblwry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nice. Congrats on a job well done. The internet in my opinion is one of the best inventions ever. The Planted Tank website/forum is right behind it. :-)
Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

What amazes me Kyle is that during all these years, you very rarely if ever talk about yourself, your own hobby, how you got interested in the hobby or your own experience in the hobby. The site has never been about you. I can remember the early days of Planted tank wondering who you were and how you appeared on the "scene", and years later I still don't know the answers to those questions. Only thing I know about you is that you are a programmer.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Church
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Wow, I remember the site looking like that! I hadn't signed up for an account yet, but I was a regular lurker back then. I was an intern at a recording studio at the time, and when I got stuck at the front desk doing reception it was the only thing that got me through the night. That, and the fact that I was charged with maintaining the aquarium in the waiting room. What a blast from the past... it takes me back to a wonderful time of my life.

Kyle, you truly rock! This site is the best. I have an account at all the other "major" planted aquarium sites but this is the only one I spend my time at.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I have a question - maybe this is the wrong spot - but since the upgrade, all my pics in my threads and tank journals are gone, and I can't upload pics to the site's image hosting. I get a fatal error message. What's up?
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

This connection is much faster for me. Thanks for doing a great job.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

A little person trivia that was interesting, to me any how.

I joined on 12-5-2004 according to the members page.

I am member 2,161 out of 18,679 and found on page 73 out of 623

To tell the truth I was a little surprised there were that many members that came before me but the site was quite busy when I joined and you really didn't have to wait long to get a reply to your question. I also wonder how many active members there are between me and the founder, this just proves there's a lot to do here if your a nerd like me!

Edit, yes definitely a nerd or else I missed my calling as a Statistician,

lauraleellbp has the most posts at 21,362 and Hoppy has second place getting just barely nudged out of first by 8,389, talking about "let your finger do the walking" and she has only been here since 2-2-08, but she's working hard as a Moderator and doesn't even get a peanut so we should all give her a hand.

Between my sign up 12-5-04 and the beginning 7-22-02 (for 4 days there were only 4 members, too funny) there are only 42 or so active member that came before me that I would consider old skool, fishfanatic985 is the oldest paying member but hasn't posted since 09 (so use the auto credit card payment to pay your yearly dues, not) Jart is the oldest paying member that is still posting, when I say oldest I mean "been here the longest", and lots of people will disappear and be back after several years without posting.

These are a list of folks I remember from back the beginning mostly that are still active and have contributed a ton of knowledge to this hobby in this order, KyleT, Pooky125, GDominy, fishfanatic985, Buck no posts since '08, Rex Grigg no posts since '10, Jart, RobertH, GhazanfarGhori, Wasserpest, Gomer, Hubbahubbahehe, UglyGenius, Raul-7, Scorpion, SCMurphy, WolfenXXX, Plantbrain, inkslinger, ValorG, unirdna, jcgd, bHarada, Scolley, AaronT, DarkCobra, & Church, this are the people who love this hobby and have been here all along (sorry if I misspelled,etc.) and there are many more new members that have done a lot here too including some Moderators but the list is too long in the other direction. So I say congratulation to all for making Kyle's idea work so well and thank you.

Last edited by 150EH; 11-06-2011 at 09:36 PM..
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #15
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Wow. The site is super fast now. The pages load almost instantaneously.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.