Feng Shui and its role in aquarium planning
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you believe in or practice aquarium Feng Shui?
I believe in Feng Shui and use it in aquarium placement and design. 3 12.00%
I believe in Feng Shui, but I don't follow it's rules in aquarium placement or design. 5 20.00%
I don't believe in Feng Shui, but I follow it's rules in aquarium placement anyway. 0 0%
Are you kidding? I have 10 aquariums in my bedroom!!! 17 68.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Feng Shui and its role in aquarium planning

Hi, I don't think this topic has been covered previously, but I wanted to ask other members of the forum if you use Feng Shui in planning the placement and design of your aquarium. In Asian cultures where the aquarium hobby is taken more seriously, Feng Shui culture is a big part of the reason why people want to have an aquarium in their home. It is believed that an aquarium, when properly placed, can bring wealth and prosperity to the home. This is also why in Asian countries, most banks and restaurants have aquariums in them.

Personally, I'm not sure if I believe in Feng Shui or not. A lot of it is silly superstition to me, but my wife is from Taiwan and she believes very strongly in it. I respect her wishes and don't have an aquarium in the kitchen or bedroom, but I was wondering if other people feel the same? I think a lot of people have aquariums in their bedroom.

I'm including some information from the About page on Aquarium Feng Shui for you to read more. What do you think of Feng Shui and it's role in aquarium planning?

http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshu...s_aquarium.htm

Quote:
Feng shui aquariums are a beautiful and potent feng shui cure to attract the energy of wealth and abundance. Placed right, and taken care of wisely, they will amplify the energy in any home or office and attract more wealth Chi.

Aquariums are auspicious because they bring a harmonious combination of several wealth attracting feng shui factors, as well as a perfect balance of all 5 feng shui elements:
  1. Feng Shui Water element (the water in the aquarium)
  2. Feng Shui Wood element (the plants in the aquarium)
  3. Feng Shui Metal element (in the aquarium structure)
  4. Feng Shui Earth element (the small rocks and gravel at the bottom of the aquarium)
  5. Feng Shui Fire element ( red, orange and gold yellow colors of the fish, as well as the aquarium lighting.)
The best area to place your feng shui aquarium is in the Southeast (the feng shui Wealth and Abundance area) followed by North (Career) or East (Health and Family.)

Never place an aquarium in your bedroom, or in your kitchen, as this brings unwanted feng shui energies to these two areas. In other words, an aquarium is bad feng shui for your bedroom and your kitchen.

The most famous feng shui wealth fish is the arrowana, or dragon fish, and the purest arrowanas are known to command quite high fees. However, the koi, or gold fish, are just as effective, as well as a pleasure to look at. Go for 8 or 9 fish, one of them being black.

Be sure the shape of the aquarium works with the feng shui element of the area you are placing it. For example:

If you place your aquarium in the Southeast, which is governed by the Wood element, you can go for a square (Earth feng shui element shape) or rectangular (Wood feng shui element shape.) If you like the round shape more (Metal feng shui element shape), choose one of a smaller size because Metal element shape might be too strong for the Wood element of the Southeast. For a feng shui aquarium in the North area of your space, best to go for a round (Metal feng shui element) shape.

As with any feng shui cure, keep it fresh, keep it beautiful, send it good energy/good thoughts and do not forget to take good care of it! Your feng shui aquarium will only work effectively as a potent feng shui wealth cure if the water is clean and oxygenated, the fish are happy and healthy, the plants are vibrant green and the lighting is good.

Spending some time with your aquarium, enjoying it and taking good care of it, as well as being clear of its feng shui role will strengthen its energy as a feng shui wealth cure.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Ask your wife about placement in the North West of House(living rm) rectangle.

Basically the only place that works for a display tank.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Jadelin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

This is an interesting concept. However, they suggest arrowanas, koi, and goldfish, and then say have 8-9 fish, one black. Obviously if you're following this you couldn't have a tank in your bedroom or kitchen, because you need like a 2000 gallon one!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm willing to bet that the writer of this article knows more about feng shui than they do about aquariums.

Personally, when it comes to placing an aquarium in my house I worry more about supporting the weight of it, avoiding direct sunlight, and maintaining stable ambient room temperature.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadelin View Post
This is an interesting concept. However, they suggest arrowanas, koi, and goldfish, and then say have 8-9 fish, one black. Obviously if you're following this you couldn't have a tank in your bedroom or kitchen, because you need like a 2000 gallon one!
It doesn't necessarily have to be goldfish. Gold colored fish are prized because their color represents wealth, as well as the fire element. You could just as easily have 8 ember tetras and 1 black neon and it would have the same feng shui energy.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

Do pearl gourami count as gold and rasbora as red? Of course I have no idea if in East or West side my tank is on.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Feng Shui uses symbolisms, like goldfish = gold or colors like gold can be used too.

However there is more to Feng Shui that just placements of things. It also has to take into account your individual readings if you are going to do Feng Shui right where an aquarium may not even be in your home.

Feng Shui isn't a superstition it is about creating an environment so the energy can flow better. Like if you lived in a clutter house vs a clean house, which one will you feel better in?
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Ok I don't have 10 tanks in my room but I do have 2 and one is right next to my bed on the night stand. I love watching my fish before I get out of bed.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
Feng Shui uses symbolisms, like goldfish = gold or colors like gold can be used too.

However there is more to Feng Shui that just placements of things. It also has to take into account your individual readings if you are going to do Feng Shui right where an aquarium may not even be in your home.

Feng Shui isn't a superstition it is about creating an environment so the energy can flow better. Like if you lived in a clutter house vs a clean house, which one will you feel better in?
Of course living in a clean house helps us feel much better than living in a cluttered house. I would like to know if you have any tips to help us practice better Feng Shui, especially with our aquariums.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I have 5 tanks in my bedroom, 2 in the living room, and I am about to set-up a tissue culture rack with a couple hundred jars....in my room. I wish our house could follow feng shui, but alas, its too dirty here (three dogs, three cats + 25 goats +5 sheep + 20 chickens + turkeys) its just too hard to keep everything clean.

I did notice that the biOrb is 'feng shui compatible' or something like that.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Believe in them only if you have studied it. Otherwise, you really don't know what you are talking about. In the worst case, you don't take care of the fish anymore other than for the sake of Feng Shui.
tetra73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
wootlaws
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just got yelled at by my dad last night for keeping two FISH tanks. I initially had 1 in the living room and setup another 1 in my bedroom. Apparently it is not OK to have 1 in your bedroom or kitchen so the one in the bedroom went outdoors. Learning from the forums led me to balancing the planted tanks with natural ferts such as fish to provide for the plants. This led to a big argument with the dad. Now I'm pissed because people that don't understand how planted aquariums work will think it's bad feng shui and he is pissed that I'm not obeying feng shui and if anything bad happens to the family it's my fault. Both tanks were given to me by friends who moved on so it's not like I went out and bought them. Major /FML /rant
wootlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm a pretty secular and skeptical person, so I don't really give much thought to the energy or luck or what not portions.

On the other side, some of the snippets I've read of Feng Shui seems to work towards providing an aesthetically pleasing layout/arrangement.

meh
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
garothmaan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I sleep right below my aquarium,I mean, just above my head. Its a planted tank and it has just guppies. Well its not a bed room though, but its just 1 room. I have a goldfish tank in south west corner of my room. So?

Garothmaan = heaven
garothmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I agree that the harmonious placement of an attractive aquarium is good for one's inner peace and that can influence one's success in other life ventures, but having corners of the room that are better enhancers of "luck" and so on is a bit much for me.

I admit to being the sort of person who does better with the more visible and tangible aspects of our existence, so if someone out there wants to follow certain rules or pray to Mother Moon, go for it.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feng shui