Animal Planet's "Tanked" TV Show
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Old 11-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
AquaLED
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Animal Planet's "Tanked" TV Show

Has anyone watched Tanked on Animal Planet yet?

http://www.tankedtv.com

I've had a look at the show, and boy, does it leave a lot to be desired. I mean, if you want a "Jersey Shore" version of an aquarium (as I've seen someone comment), it's definitely it.

I was hoping to find a realistic type of show about the hobby (kinda like L.A Fish Guys on YouTube) but I was unpleasantly surprised.

As for anything remotely resembling a "planted tank", not even close.

I mean, they make salt water aquariums with the most ridiculous type of decor.

Either way, worth checking out even if just to have a laugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

i LOL when they made that customized freshwater beer keg tank for that one customer. she prolly paid a lot. and in my opinion...it looked horrible.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Iron Chef
Algae Grower

Ha, thought I was the only one who didn't really like that show. Wouldn't want any tank like that let alone pay for one!
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
AquaLED
Algae Grower

I don't know much about reef aquaria and salt water fish, however, all that synthetic reef, plastic, and junk can't be all beneficial, can it?

I know they make artificial reefs out of old ships and what not, however, that's in an ocean where an actual reef can build upon it. But in these show aquariums, I don't think that really happens.

It's just a bunch of gaudy showpieces.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

Back when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's a show about aquariums would have been educational and included practical information about how to keep different kinds of fish and plants and so on. I don't remember any such a show but if there had been one that's how they would have made it.

That kind of knowledge just isn't valued on TV anymore. The only thing the producers of TV shows care to do anymore is program with the lowest common denominators.

Nobody cares about anything anymore.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
iKine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the show is alright, from the entertainment aspect of it. It wasn't made to be an educational show on how to keep livestock or tanks. The show was built for ratings, and for entertaining people with something they haven't seen in the past.

There are a ton of shows out there about different hobbies, jobs, or daily tasks of other people. They have the same premiss and goal of this show, entertainment.
iKine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
doonie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I watched the show and didn't see any fist pumping, I also learned that if you can clear coat it , it can go into a fish tank. That and their taste in fish pretty much sucks, with the money the people are spending you would think they would get some better fish. Seem too much like people have them do tanks for the air time.
doonie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Problem is a boring show talking about dosing and filtration picks isn't going to make ratings. You need deadlines, pressure, conflict for a TV show. Maury would be no fun for TV if every guy turned out to be the dad and accepted responsibility. Big brother wouldn't be fun if everyone got along in the house and made flower hats all season. Kitchen Nightmares wouldn't be fun if the owners did everything Ramsey said and didn't beak back and think they were better than him. Its TV. The only thing you can take from it is that maybe it will inspire someone to start getting into aquariums. These tanks are also for people to have and not maintain very much either. Who wants to spot feed 7 different types of corals different foods and this fish this kind of live food only, and this fish needs 3 feedings a day and stuff. Coral's need to be fragged off and lots of other maintenance like a planted tank. Just like a planted tank, its not for everyone. Lots of people rather have fake plants and not worry about CO2, ferts, big WC's doing EI dosing, mixing their own ferts, powders and chemicals everywhere. Fake plants, fish, done. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
RandomMan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLED View Post
I don't know much about reef aquaria and salt water fish, however, all that synthetic reef, plastic, and junk can't be all beneficial, can it?
They've stated they don't use real corals due to a combination of concerns about how it is procured and maintenance issues. Most customers don't want to maintain a reef system, or pay someone to do it for them.

So instead they stick to easy to care for fish, and fake corals for decoration.
RandomMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I watched maybe half of the first episode and figured I wasn't part of the target audience. That's true of 99% of the stuff on TV though.
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
Fishly
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
I watched maybe half of the first episode and figured I wasn't part of the target audience. That's true of 99% of the stuff on TV though.
+1

Maybe we're not part of the lowest common denominator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn
Problem is a boring show talking about dosing and filtration picks isn't going to make ratings. You need deadlines, pressure, conflict for a TV show.
They could do a show based around an employee in an aquarium shop. Pushy boss + guy who actually cares about fish + annoying coworker + misinformed customers = conflict
Old 11-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Krenshaw22
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
+1

Maybe we're not part of the lowest common denominator?

They could do a show based around an employee in an aquarium shop. Pushy boss + guy who actually cares about fish + annoying coworker + misinformed customers = conflict
+1 I like That. They also need to get la fish Guy a show. His are always interesting
Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

It is what it is. It has created a buzz and greater interest in the hobby in general and that is a good thing. It is no surprise that the main focus is saltwater. With any company that does what they do, salt represents the majority of their business, is what the majority of their customers are interested in, and where they make the most money. They specialize in making and installing humongous tanks for the super rich. That is what makes them unique and why they were given a TV show. The rich don't want a guppy tank! They want something outrageous. Nobody would watch a show about guppies or even planted tanks for that matter! Anything that promotes the hobby is good. Every aquarium product manufacturer is excited about this show because any interest in the hobby generated by this show trickles down to more business for everyone, and in this economy, they all need whatever they can get.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
Alyssa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

I didn't care for it. So I don't watch it.

SAPS | sfbaaps | SAS
My Tank(s) Blog
| TPT Clubs: RAOK Club #7 | Fraternity of Dirt #62 | ADA Club #2 |
Alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #15
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Actually, I don't watch it all that much either, but there is another thing to consider...Animal Planet does NOT do the kind of show you are talking about for ANY type of animal or pet, other than the dog and cat 101 series. They do not do any educational shows on pet care of lizards, snakes, rodents, rabbits, horses, birds or anything, so why would you think this would be any different? I wish they did, but they don't. Cat and dog breed info and dog training is as far as they go.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
acrylic tank, animal planet tanked, salt water tanks, tanked tv show

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.