MTS being weird.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
Korzak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

MTS being weird.

So my malaysian trumpet snails are not doing what I had expected per everyone else's postings. I had read that they are nocturnal, and like to dig into the substrate.

Well, they are out at all times of the day; on my mopani wood, on the sides of the tank, on some plants, scooting around on top of the flourite and gravel. Very rarely do they dig, and they sure as heck are not nocturnal.

I don;t have a pic to post, but they are definitely MTS- conical, and they look like every MTS pic I can find online.

Ideas? Are my MTS acting weird b/c something is off with my tank? It's a new tank, up for about 4 weeks before I added them, and they're the only things in it. There's enough algae and plant detritus for them to eat enough to have started breeding - I count about five or six new ones in the past week.

Thanks!!
Korzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

If there's nothing else in the tank they really have nothing to worry about so they could graze all day. I think they would burrow if you had fish or anything else. Shrimp behave the same way, being much more energetic with their own species. It also could be that you just have so much for them to eat they don't want to waste time burrowing?

As long as they aren't all hanging out near the waterline or trying to escape the tank your water parameters should be fine!
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)

My LFS constantly has MTS explosions (just collected the most recent ones today), the ones there are always active, even when there are puffers in the tank! Once I bring them home, though, they disappear in the sand until the evening and then they're all over the place!
My shrimp dance about and zoom all over the tank. Then their skins fall off!
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Add an assassin snail and you won't see them again. I raise assassins and spread the babies out throughout a number of tanks.
When I collect the assassins for shipping I know I have gotten all of them out of a tank when I see the MTSs during the day just cruising. Yours are just happy carefree MTSs.
garfieldnfish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mts