Substrate Choices Pros/Cons - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (259/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,487
Default

Yes, ADA As works nice etc.....but it also looks nice years later........which is the main reason I use it, the soil mud tanks will have the same nutrient content and profile as ADA if they use say Rice paddy clay loams...........but then the sand cap and uprooting etc, those can become issues but this is more to do with aesthetics and moving sediment, layering, and slopes etc.

As far as growth, there should be little differences.

Inert sediments are mostly if not entirely based on aesthetic considerations.
Perhaps weight/density for planting stems etc.
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Thanks you guys I have updated the original post. Keep the suggestions coming.
__________________
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aquaticz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 707
Default

In have been using a product called "Oil-Dri" which I think is similar to Turface for over one year now.


Pros: It has a high CEC and can be pre fertilized.
Best part ...lol... $7.00 for twenty five pounds!
__________________
Regards,
Aquaticz

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
In have been using a product called "Oil-Dri" which I think is similar to Turface for over one year now.


Pros: It has a high CEC and can be pre fertilized.
Best part ...lol... $7.00 for twenty five pounds!
What do you mean it can be pre fertilized?
__________________
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (272/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
Default

Do NOT rinse fluval stratum. I know the package says to, but if you do, the water will cloud for days. If you don't rinse, the water will clear up very quickly.

Also, a CON for MTS and miracle grow would be replanting stems, it can get really messy if you aren't careful
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru
 
roadmaster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Missouri united states
Posts: 2,337
Default

I have a low light 29 gal shrimp tank with bottom layer of Osmocote (about three table spoons) followed by approx one inch of top soil right out of the bag,then a layer of unscented clay cat litter (about one inch) ,followed by nylon mesh cut to fit inside diameter of tank and finally,, around two inches of Black Sand.
The nylon mesh prevent's sand from working it's way to bottom and also prevent's mixing of dirt with sand when re-planting or inserting new plant's.
I can feel the nylon mesh when inserting new plant's and don't get as much disturbance of dirt below.
Believe it also helps to have the cat litter on top of the dirt with regards to upsetting the mixture.
Has worked well so far with the shrimps and cardinal tetra's but tank is only a couple month's old.
roadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #22
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I have a low light 29 gal shrimp tank with bottom layer of Osmocote (about three table spoons) followed by approx one inch of top soil right out of the bag,then a layer of unscented clay cat litter (about one inch) ,followed by nylon mesh cut to fit inside diameter of tank and finally,, around two inches of Black Sand.
The nylon mesh prevent's sand from working it's way to bottom and also prevent's mixing of dirt with sand when re-planting or inserting new plant's.
I can feel the nylon mesh when inserting new plant's and don't get as much disturbance of dirt below.
Believe it also helps to have the cat litter on top of the dirt with regards to upsetting the mixture.
Has worked well so far with the shrimps and cardinal tetra's but tank is only a couple month's old.
Glad that has worked for you Roadmaster seems like a lot of work though when you could just go with a substrate that has all the nutrients you need.
__________________
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Do NOT rinse fluval stratum. I know the package says to, but if you do, the water will cloud for days. If you don't rinse, the water will clear up very quickly.

Also, a CON for MTS and miracle grow would be replanting stems, it can get really messy if you aren't careful
I will put a note about the fluval stratum, however I am not going to take the rinse off because the manufacture recommends it. I will add the note about replanting in MTS and Miracle Grow though.
__________________
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru
 
roadmaster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Missouri united states
Posts: 2,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post
Glad that has worked for you Roadmaster seems like a lot of work though when you could just go with a substrate that has all the nutrients you need.
Yes, I would like to try substrate such as ADA but it is not easily found here.
Everything I used with exception of nylon mesh ,I already had laying around.
roadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (439/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post
I will put a note about the fluval stratum, however I am not going to take the rinse off because the manufacture recommends it.
Eco-Complete also claims to be a completely fertilized substrate - and it's not. (And CaribSea employees back that up)

What the manufacturer recommends isn't always best in practice. Occasionally, folks will get tips from ADA that it's find to add critters right after setting up a tank. While that may be okay in a super-heavily-planted-like-woah tank, it's not usually great in practice without tons of ammonia offing your fish/shrimp.

This is a great list, though, and can definitely help people narrow down their options.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #26
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Eco-Complete also claims to be a completely fertilized substrate - and it's not. (And CaribSea employees back that up)

What the manufacturer recommends isn't always best in practice. Occasionally, folks will get tips from ADA that it's find to add critters right after setting up a tank. While that may be okay in a super-heavily-planted-like-woah tank, it's not usually great in practice without tons of ammonia offing your fish/shrimp.

This is a great list, though, and can definitely help people narrow down their options.
I see what your saying however the eco complete has been tested. I think the rinsing thing is a matter of opinion. However as you can see I still added a note on the original post.
__________________
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #27
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (439/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,552
Default

Not trying to beat a dead horse, as I greatly appreciate what you're doing.

Nearly everything on your list has been tested here on the forum. Fluval's product has for sure: here, here, here, here.

Hoppy's had great experience with it after rinsing and lots of others - particularly shrimpers (like mordalphus, the shrimp genius) - have not. So it's a good thing you added the note.

Oh - another pro for Eco-Complete: it's got a rough surface so smaller plants and mosses can latch on quickly.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #28
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Not trying to beat a dead horse, as I greatly appreciate what you're doing.

Nearly everything on your list has been tested here on the forum. Fluval's product has for sure: here, here, here, here.

Hoppy's had great experience with it after rinsing and lots of others - particularly shrimpers (like mordalphus, the shrimp genius) - have not. So it's a good thing you added the note.

Oh - another pro for Eco-Complete: it's got a rough surface so smaller plants and mosses can latch on quickly.
Thanks for pointing that out I will add your pro to eco complete.
__________________
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
galabar
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 857
Default

I've been using Turface with success (so far). I like the look of it -- it looks like what I imagine the bottom of a river bed might look like and it is fairly easy to plant in. Also, after a short period of time it becomes "fertilized" by your fish (until then, you can use root tabs).
__________________
My 40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
My 10 gallon with PAR30 LED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbms5asKmA
galabar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #30
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
I've been using Turface with success (so far). I like the look of it -- it looks like what I imagine the bottom of a river bed might look like and it is fairly easy to plant in. Also, after a short period of time it becomes "fertilized" by your fish (until then, you can use root tabs).
Keep in galabar you still want to supplement with other ferts even if the turface is taking in enough nitrates it is likely lacking other key plant nutrients if you are not dosing anything.
__________________
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012