Substrate Choices Pros/Cons - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #166
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

I would just say that the leeching effect of Ammonia for the Aqua Soil isn't really a con.

That's there for a very specific purpose: plants absorb the ammonia and use it to grow, this is one of the reasons why, compared to other soils, plants experience explosive growth in Aqua Soil. The other benefit is that it basically cycles your tank for you, which is a process you'll have to go through anyway.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #167
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (105/100%)

Aqua Soil is awasome for the reason mentioned above by Francis. Cycles your tank, full of nutrients, holds up pretty well, and is good for buffering PH which most plants thrive in.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #168
brinks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What about sand from a field, beach, or fine gravel from a beach, after being washed?
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #169
belphegor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I want to use Amazonia, but I've heard that if you use any active substrates, it will release toxins and waste that it absorbed and stored over time. If that is true, how can I take out the Amazonia when it expires without having a mini-cycle and killing all the inhabitants and restarting the whole entire process of cycling?
belphegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #170
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Hello,
I need to replace my substrate in my 46 gallon bow front. It is 3 year old FSS and is not doing much for buffering the ph.

The tank is heavily planted with moss, floaters, stems, dwarf sag, Anubius, and so on. The tank mates are only OEBT’s and PFR’s (shrimp) my tap comes out at 8.2 ph and I need it down to about 6.8. I use straight RO/DI water that comes out at 6.1-6.4 ph and a tds of 0 – 1.

Right now I have an extra bag of ADA Aquasoil Amazon (9L bag size). What other substrate would be good to add with it as a mix. ADA AS is good for plants and lowers the ph to about 6.0-6.5 or so, but that is too low for OEBT’s. Please help. Thanks
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #171
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks View Post
What about sand from a field, beach, or fine gravel from a beach, after being washed?

Sand is a good mixer but I wouldn't use it by itself. Sand, fine gravel, etc..has no nutritional value to it, essentially it is inert and plants have no use for it. But I do use sand in most of my tanks as an extra. And a big NO to anything from the beach..salt content is extremely high. But this is all IMO also..
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #172
amir7099

hi
i want to know what is the difference betwin the quality of ada aqua soil amazonia and ista aqua soil
aqua soil ista
amir7099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #173
adive
Planted Member

Hi Tactus, any info on contro soil by Marfied? (www.controsoil.com) Thanks.
adive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #174
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
I would just say that the leeching effect of Ammonia for the Aqua Soil isn't really a con.

That's there for a very specific purpose: plants absorb the ammonia and use it to grow, this is one of the reasons why, compared to other soils, plants experience explosive growth in Aqua Soil. The other benefit is that it basically cycles your tank for you, which is a process you'll have to go through anyway.
Leeching effect of ammonia would only be harmful if fish are present .
Could also give rise to algae bloom if too much light,not enough CO2,nutrient's,are available but then this is often the case with or without enhanced substrates.
Ammonia with too much light nearly alway's = algae IME.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #175
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
Sand is a good mixer but I wouldn't use it by itself. Sand, fine gravel, etc..has no nutritional value to it, essentially it is inert and plants have no use for it. But I do use sand in most of my tanks as an extra. And a big NO to anything from the beach..salt content is extremely high. But this is all IMO also..
Believe any substrate over time,,,will house organic's as food ,fish waste collect's there and is then utilized by plant's.
Until this happen's with inert substrates such as sand or plain gravel,,you can alway's dose nutrient's directly to the water.(dry fertilizer's).
Plant's will use nutrient's where they find them.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #176
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't think this was mention but Activ-Flora, my favorite substrate hands down. Runs around $25-30 a 16lb bag. This is a very fine substrate thats about sand size. It's fairly heavy too so gravel vac-ing it is a breeze. Not to mention since it's dense, small size you can plant anything extremely easily and stay. I've have this in a 10g Tetra Kit set-up with only 1 stock bulb no co2 and no dosing and plants grow better in there than my 29gal with 2 T5 HO's planted bulbs, 1 T8 10k, Eco-Complete, root tabs, dosing, and co2. I refuse to use anything else on any of my show planted tanks after my experience with this stuff. Here's some stuff I pulled off there site:

Elemental Analysis

Aluminum ..................10210
Magnesium .............. 2281
Barium ..........................124
Manganese .....................64
Calcium..........................195
Sodium.........................223
Cobalt...............................6
Nickel............................12
Chromium........................13
Vanadium.......................15
Copper ............................17
Zinc...............................29
Iron.............................18500
Potassium .................. 2195
Units=mg/kg

• Bio-activ Nutrients™ for faster, healthier plant growth.
• Contains LIVE® Heterotrophic bacteria for Instant Cycling® of your planted aquarium.
• 100% Natural - does not contain artificial dyes or additives.
• Promotes healthy root system - Activ-Flora™ is extremely microporous
• Will not alter pH in your Planted Aquarium.
• Natural bi-segmentation™ process to promote optimal Oxygenation
• Naturally Spherical grains promotes maximum diffusion (aeration)
• Activ-Flora™ is rich in Iron, no need for laterite.

http://www.activflora.com/

*Note* My 12 Long in my signature has this in it and I started that gloss carpet from 1 single pot of glosso for the entire tank 6 months ago. Mind you I only used co2 every other day or so and never did root tabs till two months ago. Not to mention I only have HE T5's rather than HO T5's so I highly recommend this stuff

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*

Last edited by NanoDave; 01-04-2014 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Added photo's
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #177
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Can use search feature here for my thread's, and see example of 300 litre low tech with plain old Miracle Grow,capped with blasting media.
Haven't vaccumed this tank for a couple year's.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #178
kodawg9
Algae Grower

The way I'm reading the original post in this thread, the list of substrate pros/cons are if you're only using one of the substrates?

I've been struggling for weeks trying to figure out if I should go sand or gravel cap (or another option) for my dirted tank. My tank's literally been sitting with the 1-1.5" of dirt in my 20 gal for some time now because I can't figure out a cap.

Any differences in the pros/cons between gravel vs. sand as a cap?
kodawg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #179
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Impossible to beat what they grow in naturally - dirt.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #180
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodawg9 View Post
The way I'm reading the original post in this thread, the list of substrate pros/cons are if you're only using one of the substrates?

I've been struggling for weeks trying to figure out if I should go sand or gravel cap (or another option) for my dirted tank. My tank's literally been sitting with the 1-1.5" of dirt in my 20 gal for some time now because I can't figure out a cap.

Any differences in the pros/cons between gravel vs. sand as a cap?
Well , with sand cap the debri stay's on top where it can be easily removed unless the tank is heavily planted which would make vaccuming difficult to impossible without damaging plant's.
Sand is also dirt cheap.
Some will say that the sand compact's and makes root development difficult and hamper's plant's ability to transport oxygen to said root's but many ,many folk's use sand without problem's (me too).

Fine gravel, comes in wider variety of color's,more expensive, unless you happen to find some at lawnscaping store.
Does not compact if you are fearful of such thing's,and allow's waste from food's,fish poo, to settle into lower region's of substrate = food for plant growth.

My two cent's.