"Blue Oasis" Update 9/11 Solids vs Rilis Post #98 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #31
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
nice tank! the blue is really showing through on the rilis. your moss is growing really well too! i always have trouble attaching them to substrate because of big fingers.. any tips?
LOL thanks Diana stop making fun of me, it not my fault I don't have nimble fingers that's why I have you to do that.
ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #32
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #33
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #34
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

looks like they are starting to get the blue color on the shell too congrats.
wicca27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #35
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks man.. i think i raised the iso a bit too high on my crappy camera thats why it looks so bright for the last 2. these were the best pictures out of all 60.

so i started aggressively culling out all the males with red on them but i left the mothers with little to no red. some had weird orangey bars along the carapace and abdomen but i kept them just because they are my baby factories.

on another note i lost 2 crs a female and a male when i moved them with the rilis. they didnt look so happy in the 5 so i tested the parameters and the gh was low. now one of the females is berried so i hope she and her clutch makes it ..
Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #36
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE 6/24

These tanks are still up and running, I decided to mess around with the 5gal again. It's my experimental tank I broke down the tank and set up a Reverse UGF with biomedia in the center of the tubes and a small internal filter to agitate the surface. It was really cloudy but after changing the filter floss we're in business. I ended up putting all the unwanted culls from the 10g in here. They seem to be doing fine, I've also seen babies on the glass picking at the biofilm.

The 10g still the same, just more babies and water changes. I ended up losing all but one female CRS and bunch of babies from a different CRS mother. These guys have been doing well in the tank, I've counted at least 12 the other day.

I'll be pick up some CBS from a fellow NYCer in a week I'll post up some pictures then.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #37
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Update Less red More Blue

My 10g Lab has stayed the same other than the blue rili that are in there. Anyway, plain and simple the moss has grown in more. The moss thatís in the tank has over grown its own SS mesh whether itís the fissidens or the flame moss. The tank has gone through a snail infestation but that usually easy to take care of. Just 3 easy step catch them off the walls, smash all snails and feed the simple. Itís simple and easy protein snack for the shrimp yums. The shrimp have gotten a lot blue do to moderate culling. I take out the shrimp that have more than 15% of red or any weird colors like this pinkish tone from the original parentage. Strange.. Pink Neos anyone?

I may start another line of color from the blue horde I have. Seem like I have a few green tingey shrimp that are interesting. Yes yes I know there are real green lines out there like the one selectively bred from yellow shrimp from a guy from Italy. This just gives me more of a reason the further progress the line to new color hopefully.

I did pick up some blue velvets and rose moss from sunyang recently thanks dude.

Has anyone had their rose moss melt away? My tank parameters are 6.5+- give or take gh is 4 and kh is 1-2 and the waters on the cool side.

Since these shrimp donít have the rili pattern, what can were officially call them?

Is anyone out there raising full blue rilis like me? Seems like I barely see anyone posting about blue rilis.

Has anyone ever done blue rili X blue velvet yet?

Anyway enough babbling and here are the shrimp.

Blue Velvets

Last edited by ren; 08-20-2012 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: update
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #38
OpaeGuy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

that moss is lookin sick growin vertical
OpaeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #39
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dude you should see what it looks like now. It's more like a flame pillar, it's like 2 almost 3 inches tall. I can't complain my test subjects love it and they hide and feed in there.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #40
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I have some Blue Rilis similar to yours, mine are mostly blue with a little color here and there. They came from a cull tank with Blue Rilis, Red Rillis and a couple PFRs. The ones I have set aside in their own tank are almost all blue like yours and I was thinking about adding Blue Velvets also as this line I have seem really hardy and prolific.

I am subscribing and will be watching and will let you know if I find out anything else that might help as it seems we are doing the same thing, though you are farther along.

Last edited by rodcuda; 08-20-2012 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: typo
rodcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #41
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

nice work. glad you stuck with this species. Your tanks are certainly geared for no nonsense shrimping!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #42
robb.ferg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i like those blue shrimp!
robb.ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #43
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

your blues are looking awsome
wicca27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #44
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Where did you get your Blue Velvets? Have you already put them with your blues?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #45
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Tank is looking great, man. Love the shrimp populations, you've got a ton of them in there!

Regarding Blue Velvet x Blue Rili, it's not really a cross at all; Blue Velvets are a selectively bred Blue Rili, so you will end up with getting darker blue, more solid Blue Rilis in your colony. Which is what you'd want, I'd expect. Hopefully they'll breed soon!