My inexpensive CFL light solution - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #61
dundadundun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmotorhead View Post
Thanks Dun, I'm glad we got this thread going, seems to have helped quite a few people get effective lighting with a low budget. I like your tank, what are your light hanging from?

Matt
i just have them hanging from the kids dvd shelf for now. eventually... if i stick with this lighting, i want to get a vinyl fence post, a couple endcaps and feed the sockets through from the inside and put the reflectors back on. then paint everything flat black and add some hanging hardware.
dundadundun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #62
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (232/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
well on another forum someone has 2 CFL's 36 watts each on a ten and she has minimal algae...
Iam currently experimenting "high light" on my 5.5g. I have 14W CF Oddyssea Lamp and 27W spiral CFL bulb attached to work lamp. That's 41watts combine.

I got algae the first time I set up this small tank using 14W fixture only. Staghorn and BGA appeard. I reduce photo period from 10 hrs to 5 hours, the algae were gone. Then I found this work lamp idea and installed 14watts spiral bulb. I was not happy about it, upgraded to 27Watts and run 6 hrs. CO2 was set 2-3bps and carefully watch EI dosing.

After two weeks, the plants are thriving very well and pearling like crazy!!!

I'm planning to add fish in few weeks or after plants get robust growth.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #63
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmotorhead View Post
Very very true. I have been trying to get better spread, and didn't even think of the relationship between height off the surface and lateral dispersion. I should probably raise these up before I get some nice algae growing... 19w x4 is a lot of light from what I've read... I think I'll start around 5" from the surface and see where that gets me. Remember I have a stupid glass top on there... so I'm sure that reflects some of the light back out.

On a side note my rotala just started to shoot up after the low top trim, can't wait till the l aromatica and reopens start to grow

Do you have a journal for your tank moose? I really would like to look through the progress you've made. It really looks great.
No, I wish I did start one. I just got this camera. Before that I had this really horrible cam that came with my $5 phone

My 40b is less than a month old. I had a 30 gallon just like yours. I switched from the Flourite black in the 30 to Black Diamond sand in this one. I think you may have seen that tank in another thread or two that we've both posted in. I really do like the 30 gallon size though. I bought that setup used for peanuts, but the tank was built in 1987 (said so right on the "Made By Billy" tag in the bottom) and there were scratches all over the glass and the silicone didn't owe anybody anything. Like many others, the bug bit and I just had to have what I wanted so I set out to buy myself a "nice tank". Well....

I was all bugged about getting a rimless tank. I spent weeks researching and decided that I could get that nice tank, but then I was stuck with the stand it came with, which usually costs as much (or more) than the already ridiculously priced tank. I don't have the space or tools to make my own any more. I definitely do have the skill - I used to have a full metal and wood shop in my basement. Envious amounts of Tim Tooltime. That was another life. Now I live in an efficiency apartment and those are fond but distant memories. So....

Realizing that a 50 gallon rimless and stand would set me back close to or over a grand I said "Petco here I come!" and drove directly over to their $1 A Gallon Sale! and bought me a 40 gallon breeder for $40. Found an ad on Craigslist for an Oceanic 70 gallon with stand (same dimension as the 40b) so I bought that too. That tank needed re-siliconing but I wasn't interested. Waay too big for my room. I dumpstered it. It was that stand I was after. It was off-pink colored pickled oak... I sprayed it with Krylon gloss black. Like a boss.

You know, sometimes our subconscious works in mysterious ways. This is one of those times. The science and the aesthetic decided not to argue for once. I might have been happier with a rimless tank, but somehow I doubt it. I would have had to put up with one of those fugly stands they come with and I would have had to remind myself every time I looked at it how dearly it came...

So, I was out $200 for the used stand, $48 for the tank (they tax you on $100 when you buy them at Petco!!), and $25 for spray paint, sand paper, and beer...mostly beer...
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #64
jmrmotorhead
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
No, I wish I did start one. I just got this camera. Before that I had this really horrible cam that came with my $5 phone

My 40b is less than a month old. I had a 30 gallon just like yours. I switched from the Flourite black in the 30 to Black Diamond sand in this one. I think you may have seen that tank in another thread or two that we've both posted in. I really do like the 30 gallon size though. I bought that setup used for peanuts, but the tank was built in 1987 (said so right on the "Made By Billy" tag in the bottom) and there were scratches all over the glass and the silicone didn't owe anybody anything. Like many others, the bug bit and I just had to have what I wanted so I set out to buy myself a "nice tank". Well....

I was all bugged about getting a rimless tank. I spent weeks researching and decided that I could get that nice tank, but then I was stuck with the stand it came with, which usually costs as much (or more) than the already ridiculously priced tank. I don't have the space or tools to make my own any more. I definitely do have the skill - I used to have a full metal and wood shop in my basement. Envious amounts of Tim Tooltime. That was another life. Now I live in an efficiency apartment and those are fond but distant memories. So....

Realizing that a 50 gallon rimless and stand would set me back close to or over a grand I said "Petco here I come!" and drove directly over to their $1 A Gallon Sale! and bought me a 40 gallon breeder for $40. Found an ad on Craigslist for an Oceanic 70 gallon with stand (same dimension as the 40b) so I bought that too. That tank needed re-siliconing but I wasn't interested. Waay too big for my room. I dumpstered it. It was that stand I was after. It was off-pink colored pickled oak... I sprayed it with Krylon gloss black. Like a boss.

You know, sometimes our subconscious works in mysterious ways. This is one of those times. The science and the aesthetic decided not to argue for once. I might have been happier with a rimless tank, but somehow I doubt it. I would have had to put up with one of those fugly stands they come with and I would have had to remind myself every time I looked at it how dearly it came...

So, I was out $200 for the used stand, $48 for the tank (they tax you on $100 when you buy them at Petco!!), and $25 for spray paint, sand paper, and beer...mostly beer...
Sounds like exactly what my progression will be! I woudl love a rimless tank, but in all honesty I could never afford one, and would probably enjoy making something like yours more. I'm going with the black diamond in the next tank for sure, looks amazing. I start a new job next week, so maybe I'll finally have some funding to get the lights hung and a few things sorted out with this one.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #65
galabar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, the 40 breeder during the $1/gallon sale at PetCo is the way to do.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #66
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hello!
Question, for a ten gallon, would two 13 cfl be sufficient for a low to medium light?
Thanks!
Jasmine
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #67
galabar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Hello!
Question, for a ten gallon, would two 13 cfl be sufficient for a low to medium light?
Thanks!
Jasmine
Get a couple of 13 watt LEDs instead. They are more expense (around $25 each), but will last longer and are much more safe to put in an open fixture over your tank:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #68
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
Yes, the 40 breeder during the $1/gallon sale at PetCo is the way to do.
is that happening again now?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #69
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Hello!
Thanks!
Jasmine
Yes, it will be sufficient, if you have a fairly good reflector behind the bulbs. Otherwise it would probably take higher wattage bulbs. See http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=1497 for more details.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #70
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Alright, thank you!
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #71
binxer
Algae Grower

I'm really interested in this cheap method of lighting my first planted tank. I took a look at the link that was posted earlier... http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=1497

It doesn't say specifically how many bulbs to use other than 2 for a 10 gallon tank. I want to do a low tech, non CO2 tank. I have a 29 gallon... I'm guessing I should use 3 bulbs total at 19 watts each (so 60 watts at 2 wpg)? Or is that too much light?
binxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #72
herns
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxer View Post
I'm guessing I should use 3 bulbs total at 19 watts each (so 60 watts at 2 wpg)? Or is that too much light?
It depends how you place your fixture, far or close from your tank that make a 60watts low or high light setting.

I have 41watts on my 5.5G that would be "7wpg". I placed it close to the tank that made it very high light.

Here's a good thread that explain it further in details.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...tml#post834956
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #73
allaboutfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

i think ill be doing this on my 55 now. would 4 40 watt CFL's work?
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #74
herns
Planted Tank Guru

That would work just fine.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #75
binxer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
It depends how you place your fixture, far or close from your tank that make a 60watts low or high light setting.

I have 41watts on my 5.5G that would be "7wpg". I placed it close to the tank that made it very high light.

Here's a good thread that explain it further in details.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...tml#post834956
That's a great thread which I just read. It doesn't really seem to help unless I had the exact same tank or a PAR meter. How will I know how far to raise the lights for the right PAR for a low light tank?
binxer is offline   Reply With Quote