My inexpensive CFL light solution - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #211
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10292 View Post
I have used this diy setup on my 20 gallon and had algae problems but that's only because I didn't keep up with my diy co2. I used spiral cfl from home depot and Lowes. 23watts 6500k. 3 pack is about $12. And for the dome reflectors make sure to spray paint the inside a flat white. I noticed that it offers a more uniform light spread compared to the metal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Flat white works better? I have an old reptile light that has a white interior, the black outside looks pretty nice too!

My concern with this method is the size of the tank in over 20" to the substrate, so would any of those 3 provide enough light? With only two fixtures?
Mrnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #212
anthony10292
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I actually just put two of these dome lights up on my 20long shrimp tank (12inch height) with no paint and there were darker spots in the middle of the tank and on each far side of the tank. Decided to spray the inside flat white and its seems to completely get rid of those dark spots. Not bad for a $2 can of paint.

As far as height, my 20 gallon is an old extra high tank. I think its 23 or 24 inches tall with about 20 inches from light to substrate. Pretty much the worst tank you can use to setup a planted tank. And I have algae problems so the light must be getting down to the bottom of the tank. For a 48inch tank I would go with more than 2. 3, maybe 4 would do the job. 4x23watts would give you almost 100watts. And then it just depends on what plants you want to grow.

anthony10292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 AM   #213
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10292 View Post
I actually just put two of these dome lights up on my 20long shrimp tank (12inch height) with no paint and there were darker spots in the middle of the tank and on each far side of the tank. Decided to spray the inside flat white and its seems to completely get rid of those dark spots. Not bad for a $2 can of paint.

As far as height, my 20 gallon is an old extra high tank. I think its 23 or 24 inches tall with about 20 inches from light to substrate. Pretty much the worst tank you can use to setup a planted tank. And I have algae problems so the light must be getting down to the bottom of the tank. For a 48inch tank I would go with more than 2. 3, maybe 4 would do the job. 4x23watts would give you almost 100watts. And then it just depends on what plants you want to grow.

How does this compare to the shoplight option - in terms of cost and plant growth?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 AM   #214
anthony10292
Algae Grower

Never priced nor used them. If a T5HO shop light exists that would prolly be the cheapest route

anthony10292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #215
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

Are cfl floodlights any better?
Sunlite SL23PAR38/65K 23 Watt PAR38 Energy Saving CFL Light Bulb Medium Base Daylight - Amazon.com Sunlite SL23PAR38/65K 23 Watt PAR38 Energy Saving CFL Light Bulb Medium Base Daylight - Amazon.com

Been reading up a lot, but for the not so scientifically educated its hard to keep up.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #216
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I was just at Lowes and saw these security LED's on sale for $39. Now I know it's hard to tell how bright they'd be over a tank but they sure blinded me when I was looking at them, especially compared to the other lights surrounding it. Color temp was in the 5600k range I believe. 1200 lumens. I am SERIOUSLY considering grabbing a box of these and playing with them.

http://goo.gl/ziU15a
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #217
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I was just at Lowes and saw these security LED's on sale for $39. Now I know it's hard to tell how bright they'd be over a tank but they sure blinded me when I was looking at them, especially compared to the other lights surrounding it. Color temp was in the 5600k range I believe. 1200 lumens. I am SERIOUSLY considering grabbing a box of these and playing with them.

http://goo.gl/ziU15a
I have two 20 watt 14,000k led floodlights over my tank right now, lol nothing is growing. Could be color temp, ferts, lack of co2... I have no idea I just started haha. I was looking at these to up the par so that I can use the co2 system I got. These would be supplemental kind of and they were pretty cheap.

Last edited by Mrnbo; 01-14-2014 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: led floodlights
Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 AM   #218
emmynk
Algae Grower

Hi! What bulbs do I buy? I got lost in all this light talk ;-; I have a planted tank, and I'm planning to get more plants so before I get more I want to get my lighting correct. Thanks"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
emmynk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 AM   #219
emmynk
Algae Grower

Does it have to be a special type of bulb to support plants?

Old 01-26-2014, 04:43 AM   #220
pwu_1
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmynk View Post
Does it have to be a special type of bulb to support plants?

I think it is mainly personal preference but most people here use either 5000K or 6500K color temperature bulbs since those bulbs gives off a nice white light that makes your aquarium and plants look nice. Anything less than 5000K and the light starts getting pretty yellow and anything over 6500K starts looking purple.
Look for the packages that says "daylight". Sometimes the packaging won't say the actual color temperature but if you look closely at the base of the bulb the color temperature will be printed there.
pwu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #221
emmynk
Algae Grower

Okay. Is there any particular preference? I'm really not so smart when it comes to lighting, I don't understand if normal bulbs help plants grow. Can someone help simplify it for a lighting newbie I'm going to re plant my tanks with low -med light plants and want to make sure everything balances well.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #222
yashmack
Algae Grower

Im using this on my 8g hex tank
got the fixture from walmart, the bulb too
the bulb is a 25 Watt GE Daylight CFL, its rated at 6500k and 1500 lumens

yashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #223
neilshieh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)

@yashmack
That is the first time I've seen such an interesting tank!

3 23 watt daylight bulbs using these work lights light my 29 gallon very well. It definitely gives me at least med/high lighting since I can grow HC and ludwigia sphaerocarpa with it. I swap out my bulbs every year, a 4 pack only costs me 10 bucks at home depot!

check my tank journal for the plants I'm growing with these lights.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #224
jennesque
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ok, so is this a bad idea on my 75 gallon tank? :/ this is what I planned to use but I'm reading it's not enough lights. I just want medium.. Don't plan on using CO2 but I do dose ferts.

I had these on my 28gal Bowfront tank and that's the only time I ever had any algae problems.. But even then it was pretty minor. Only grew on the driftwood so I didn't mind. This tank is obviously taller though.
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #225
jmrmotorhead
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

Hi everyone, wow, can't believe this thread is STILL going! It's great!

Honestly, how tall is the 75? It might be too talk to penetrate far enough, however without co2 you dont want too much lighting. Light drives the growth speed, all all other nutrients including co2 much be readily available I meet the plants growth speed. If you planning on growing low light plants slow, this may still work!

I just added a fourth done above my 40b, getting ready to step it up a bit since I'm tired of plain rotala and jungle Val's!
Matt

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote