Stick with t5HO or go with LED? 55 Gallon with a story
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
nick30
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Stick with t5HO or go with LED? 55 Gallon with a story

I used to have a 55 gallon planted tank with a 108W T5HO fixture. This worked very well for me and was able to grow at a very fast rate. Actually it was a little to fast for me. Anyway after 7 years and now married I am getting back into the hobby and I am allowed to get 1 or two aquariums. I am looking to get another 55 gallon again. I can easily get another 108W T5H0 fixture or I could try LED.

I really do want to go with LED for a lot of reasons (the main reason would be electric costs then life expectancy of bulbs) but I am hesitant as I only want to use one single fixture for my tank and still have the same amount of growth and light that I did before. I heard some good things about the Finnex Ray II and it's high output but I am not sure if it will do the work I want it to. Since LED is fairly new I haven't heard much to make me want to switch to LED.

So my question is this: If I switch to LED and I want a single fixture will the Finnex Ray II be a close replacment to the 108W T5HO. I want to get as close to the output and growth rate I have had before. Please convince me as I am not yet sold on the switch to LED ... I really hope this fixture will work.
nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick30 View Post
So my question is this: If I switch to LED and I want a single fixture will the Finnex Ray II be a close replacment to the 108W T5HO.

close? Arguably no........ 2 would..
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
jasa73
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

I just upgraded my lighting from 4x T5HO to 1 Finnex Ray 2. My tank is 110 gallon 53x20x24 inches deep (20 at the substrate). I find 1 is working fine for me. Some think that the spread of the Finnex Ray 2 to be inadequate. I actually move mine around or sometimes put it diagonally to make sure the most light demanding plants get the most intense of the light. I am thinking about adding a Monster Ray to make colors pop, but that would also increase my PAR slightly. Your tank is narrower and shallower than mine...I'd start with one..see how it goes, then add a second if your plants tell you, they need it, but I'm doing find with 1.

Last edited by jasa73; 07-20-2014 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: spelling
jasa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

T5hos are cheap and work great plus it's super easy to customize the spectrum if you wanted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

^ +1

I would stick with T5HO and go with a 6500k bulb, and a WavePoint Ultra Growth Wave bulb which cover both the 420nm & 660nm spectrums that plants chlorophyll A & chlorophyll B need.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:23 AM   #6
islanddave1
Algae Grower

HO T-5's with out question.................I have both led and HO t-5's and love the T-5's
islanddave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
andakin
Algae Grower

I made the switch to LED and couldn't be happier. In my experience, a single Ray2 can do the job of a dual T5ho.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
brooksie321
Algae Grower

If you're looking to do the led thing right and don't mind dropping a few bucks? Check out the exotic e series or bml, they would be the only real competition for that much t5 wattage.
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

The whole industry seems to be moving away from t5s. I just bought two bulbs for a 36 inch fixture and spent about 40 bucks. Leds have to be cheaper in the long run. Unless of course they don't last as long as people suggest.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

For the taller 18+" tanks, the $/PAR is still too high for LEDs.

v3
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
The whole industry seems to be moving away from t5s. I just bought two bulbs for a 36 inch fixture and spent about 40 bucks. Leds have to be cheaper in the long run. Unless of course they don't last as long as people suggest.

Ouch! Buy bulbs online, they are usually around $10-$13 for the 48" 54 watt bulbs.

I second OVT, the price per par on LEDs is just too high. Yes there are cheap DIY LEDs as I am sure this one forum member will comment on, he simply cannot keep away from an led thread. This is more of what you want, if you want opinions, I like T5HOs the color blends well and mixes well in my aquarium, you can change the spectra at will, and the price per par is really cheap. I have LEDs on my 180(left over from a reef setup) and the light doesn't mix very well and isn't as pleasing to the eye to me.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
You're buying bulbs from the wrong place lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #13
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting comparison showing the ray2 and t5ho on the same tank here - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=342218 (bottom two pics in OP)

Food for thought possibly.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:08 AM   #14
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I have very limited experience with LED's. The one fixture I have is great for growing plants and was dirt cheap. However, one thing that bugged me for awhile was the spectrum. I am used to it now, and actually kind of like it but I would have been very disappointed if I spend good money on a more powerful/bigger fixture for another tank and had the same results.

The problem I am facing on converting LED's is that they either are adjustable but don't put out enough light so you need more than one fixture, they put out enough light but are not adjustable, or they have most or all of what I need but I don't think it's worth the money.

That said, I wouldn't replace my T5HO today for LED, however, I would likely buy an LED fixture over a T5HO fixture if I didn't already have one. None of my tanks need that much light, my T5HO fixture is really overkill and would have likely been satisfied with an LED fixture that cost the same (with less output but more than I need), they just didn't exist the way they do now. On the flip side, I likely won't buy an expensive light again either, which is what is keeping me from LED"s. I feel in a year, I will be able to get exactly what I want for what I am willing to pay.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #15
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Ouch! Buy bulbs online, they are usually around $10-$13 for the 48" 54 watt bulbs.

I second OVT, the price per par on LEDs is just too high. Yes there are cheap DIY LEDs as I am sure this one forum member will comment on, he simply cannot keep away from an led thread.
Gee who would that be????

"expensive " only if your a brand snob...

and an 18" tank is NOT tall..

you only need 54W of LED's w/ 90 degree optics to surpass the PAR of your T5...HO or not..

Quote:
Here is the all new, absolute latest in LED technology and ultra efficiency LEDs from Philips.
This is the Luxeon ES series! The finest Neutral White LED on the market - Even superior to Cree LEDS (XT-E), consuming less electricity and having more total output lumens!
- Forward Voltage is 3.0V @ 1000ma
- Max current - 1000ma
- Luminous Intensity - 324 Lumens minimum at 1000ma
- CRI 85 - Higher indicates it is closer to our real sun. 85 is exceptional!
- Color Temperature - 5,000K CCT -
Lets just consider bulbs for a minute..
22 (rounding up to max driver/ps @1000mA) the above is $66.......
2 drivers (ldd-1000H or HW) $14
1 36V switching PS $30

some aluminum..

7106 lumens.. How many for the 2 T5's? (MAYBE if you are lucky 10000, more than likely they would be equal)

4 T5 HO bulbs.. What is a "normal" cost for good bulbs??? Thirty bucks?? , 1/2 the cost.. for one year, same cost after 2..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-21-2014 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: cost
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote