My current satellite Freshwater LED + randomly stopped working
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

My current satellite Freshwater LED + randomly stopped working

Hi all,

So... I get home today from work and my light is not on as usual. I decided to wait it out because maybe it's having an issue. it is now 10:10am and it usually turns on at my set time of 7:30am. I have tried to turn it on with the control. I have plugged it into multiple location's. I have tried everything that I can think of doing and it still does not turn on. I am at a loss for words since I have only had this light fixture a little over 1 year. I think I will sell all of my fish tank stuff if this light died out on me. I don't have the money right now to buy another light fixture.

if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do. please do tell me as I really do not want to sell my fish tank.

Thank you
Bradley

Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Best bet would be to contact there help desk….they have completely replaced my fixture multiple times but not so sure what they would do if your fixture is older then 1 year...
Old 01-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Best bet would be to contact there help desk….they have completely replaced my fixture multiple times but not so sure what they would do if your fixture is older then 1 year...
EDIT: I just got off the phone with FandS and they found it for me. only thing is that I bought it in late 13. yay me!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Lyana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

So does that mean they won't help you?
Old 01-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyana View Post
So does that mean they won't help you?
F&S is a retailer.. It would be up to Current to decide on this at this point.

To the O/p I'd check the power supply (It does use an external "brick" correct?).. It would be a fairly inexpensive fix..
Old 01-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

How can I check if it's the "brick" that stops the power? I was thinking that it could be the problem. But I am not really sure... This month is just one big stress ball for me and here is another problem for me. whatever... Hopefully Current will be nice enough to help me on something.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyv1714 View Post
How can I check if it's the "brick" that stops the power? I was thinking that it could be the problem. But I am not really sure... This month is just one big stress ball for me and here is another problem for me. whatever... Hopefully Current will be nice enough to help me on something.
Assuming it plugs in you could just use a VOM and see if there is 12V out.. May still fail under load but at least "if" it is zero V out it is def. dead..

If it is hard wired into the fixture it is more complicated.. In the old days of zip cord or ind wires... driving a needle(s) into and through the insulation provided contact points for the VOM ..
If it is round wire this won't work

ALL of this is AFTER the PS.. not before.. Pretty sure the AC side is OK...

Opening the fixture and testing at the switch is also possible..

Granted some of these are easier than others...

OK, test at male output for 12V (see diagram):

http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/CU04005.pdf
Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Assuming it plugs in you could just use a VOM and see if there is 12V out.. May still fail under load but at least "if" it is zero V out it is def. dead..

If it is hard wired into the fixture it is more complicated.. In the old days of zip cord or ind wires... driving a needle(s) into and through the insulation provided contact points for the VOM ..
If it is round wire this won't work

ALL of this is AFTER the PS.. not before.. Pretty sure the AC side is OK...

Opening the fixture and testing at the switch is also possible..

Granted some of these are easier than others...

OK, test at male output for 12V:
I am sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a VOM? I know a different accronym for vom in the medical field.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
capri
Algae Grower

Just check the voltage .Its easy to do on the SAT+ ,where you plug the cables together .As for temporary lights ,just get some shop lights and CFL's .
capri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a VOM? I know a different accronym for vom in the medical field.

volt Ohm meter...
Old 01-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
zerodameaon
Algae Grower

Volt-Ohm meter, Multimeter, ohm meter, it can go by a number of names.
zerodameaon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

how would I go about checking the voltage? I have a battery tester but the end of the ac/dc is basically the same as a laptop transformer.

Edit: Just got an email from Current stating that they were sending me a new transformer at no cost. I hope that will cure the problem.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #13
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
how would I go about checking the voltage? I have a battery tester but the end of the ac/dc is basically the same as a laptop transformer.

Edit: Just got an email from Current stating that they were sending me a new transformer at no cost. I hope that will cure the problem.
GREAT..
Transformer/ dc power supply little difference for us.. though a transformer can be AC as well...
Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM   #14
Linwood
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The transformer is a simple 12V DC power supply. If you have a bunch of power supplies lying around the house (most of us have lots), look and see if you have any that say the output is 12V and DC. Must be 12V DC, not AC, not some other voltage. It also needs to be at least 25 watts (it can be a lot more) or if it doesn't list watts it needs to be 2 Amps.

If it is that, and has the right kind of connector, just plug it in. There is nothing at all special in that power supply, I know because I built my own setup for 4 of these on one tank.

Or wait for the one they are sending.

I have 5 of these lights, and I have had one that got a bit flaky, it got "stuck" and won't respond to the remote. I disassembled the end of the light and found an abraded wire, fixed it, and it fixed the problem. But I do not recommend that for most people -- the components are VERY tight inside the light, and difficult to get apart, and difficult to get back together, and nothing much is serviceable unless it's a broken wire. But if the choice is throwing it away -- give it a try (or find someone who likes meddling with electronics).

Latest tank build: 220 Tall
Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.