How is my LED setup?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
AutumnSun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How is my LED setup?

Okay, so I'd like to convert my 7.5 gallon cube from a reef tank to a FW planted tank. I know my filter and heater are good, but I have no idea where on the spectrum of acceptability my lights are, I just know it's worked for corals. Can someone critique my setup, and give me an idea of what kind of plants I can keep?

1x TrueLumen 12-Inch TrueLumen Pro LED Strip Light 50/50
1x TrueLumen Aquatic 10-Inch 4-453nm Blue LED Strip

Thanks!
AutumnSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

The lights will grow plants fine.. The look???
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
AutumnSun
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
The lights will grow plants fine.. The look???
I might take the blue out; it's more of a reef color mix currently. I'm wondering if this would be considered low light or medium or high?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Those Truelumen strips are advertised as ambient lights not really grow lights. You might have low light but why would you want your planted tank to look reefy?
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (173/100%)

I have the 36" TrueLumen Pro Series LED Strip Light, 8000K Sun White and it will grow plants nicely. the challenge will be that it will be insanely bright if you mount it on the rim so you may want to consider elevating the lamp. These have an optional dimmer so you do have some flexibility here.

if the 50/50 implies that it is the Marine Fusion 12K White/453nm Actinic Blue, it would be heavily skewed to the blue spectrum. Consider not using the second light listed and see how it goes.
acitydweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
AutumnSun
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Those Truelumen strips are advertised as ambient lights not really grow lights. You might have low light but why would you want your planted tank to look reefy?
It's currently on a reef tank, that's why I made that comment. I'm in college and am trying to reuse what I can for the FW tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
I have the 36" TrueLumen Pro Series LED Strip Light, 8000K Sun White and it will grow plants nicely. the challenge will be that it will be insanely bright if you mount it on the rim so you may want to consider elevating the lamp. These have an optional dimmer so you do have some flexibility here.

if the 50/50 implies that it is the Marine Fusion 12K White/453nm Actinic Blue, it would be heavily skewed to the blue spectrum. Consider not using the second light listed and see how it goes.
Thanks! I think you are right, the actinic one is going to be too much blue for a FW planted tank.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
jeffkrol
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSun View Post
It's currently on a reef tank, that's why I made that comment. I'm in college and am trying to reuse what I can for the FW tank

Thanks! I think you are right, the actinic one is going to be too much blue for a FW planted tank.
IF you find the remaining light too "cool" for your taste.. Looking for a 24V 12" warm white light bar would be a good compliment..

@24V you could splice it right into the "transformer" as they call it power supply of the pro.. as long as you can keep "watts" below the PS rating..
Throwing a $20 timer/dimmer past the "transformer" would allow control of both "bars" individually".. NO GUARANTEES w/ out some specs though..

biggest challenge finding a cheap 24V bar (most are 12V)
Second would be choosing between smd5050's (.2W) or finding smd5630's (.5W)

all speculation at this point but I have faith in colleges..

Tru Lumen pros don't go below 8000K... unfortunately.. for a "system"...
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
AutumnSun
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
IF you find the remaining light too "cool" for your taste.. Looking for a 24V 12" warm white light bar would be a good compliment..

@24V you could splice it right into the "transformer" as they call it power supply of the pro.. as long as you can keep "watts" below the PS rating..
Throwing a $20 timer/dimmer past the "transformer" would allow control of both "bars" individually".. NO GUARANTEES w/ out some specs though..

biggest challenge finding a cheap 24V bar (most are 12V)
Second would be choosing between smd5050's (.2W) or finding smd5630's (.5W)

all speculation at this point but I have faith in colleges..

Tru Lumen pros don't go below 8000K... unfortunately.. for a "system"...
Thanks!