Ecoxotic E-60 Full Spectrum LED?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
MyMandy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ecoxotic E-60 Full Spectrum LED?

I'm new to planted tanks and don't really understand it all. I was wondering if anybody knows whether Ecoxotic E-60 Full Spectrum LED is any good for a 30 inch long and 24 inch tall 37 gallon tank? I hate the idea of spending nearly $200 though, any other recommendations?

Right now I only have medium to low light plants but I would like to eventually add some red plants which usually require high light. Can I have low and high light plants in the same tank?

MyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

That light would be perfect for the tank that size. Dont make my mistake of buying crappy lights first and then having to spend more money buying other lights. Also with that light if for now your keeping med-low light plants then you can dim the light to your need and latter on when you get higher light plants you can up the light intensity. Lastly yes you can have low and high light plants in your tank.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
brooksie321
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
That light would be perfect for the tank that size. Dont make my mistake of buying crappy lights first and then having to spend more money buying other lights. Also with that light if for now your keeping med-low light plants then you can dim the light to your need and latter on when you get higher light plants you can up the light intensity. Lastly yes you can have low and high light plants in your tank.
+1 agreed, nothing worse than junking 2 month old lighting because you want something stronger..
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Get a Red Tiger Lotus, Dwarf Lilly, Ludwigia repens & friends and save yourself $180: 24" deep tanks are hard on the of-the-shelf LEDs.

Still want more red? Save ~$400 for the LEDs + ~$350 for co2.

My $0.02.

v3
Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
MyMandy

Thank you for the replies.
MyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If i had the Exocotic full spectrum on my 65G tank, 24" high, I would be able to grow ludwigia RED?

Thank you, Michel.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
bhazard451
Algae Grower

The Ecoxotic and Current simply don't have enough power to grow demanding plants.
bhazard451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
brooksie321
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
The Ecoxotic and Current simply don't have enough power to grow demanding plants.
Current sat maybe, Im thinking the exotic can grow some pretty light needy weeds on the proper tank..
brooksie321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 AM   #9
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
For a tank as deep as 24", this can be true for plants that require higher light. However, it really just depends on what plants need the light. Also, it depends on how far down the light can reach the bottom of the tank.
Click image for larger version

Name:	E_Series_Technical-Specification.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	348090

This is just an example of the PAR ratings from an ecoxotic e series light. At 24", you'd be getting 45 PAR, which puts you at low light. If you were to get two ecoxotic leds, that would increase the PAR rating and get you to where you want.

For shallower tanks such as a 20 gallon long, the PAR would be 100+, meaning it'd be more than sufficient for high light plants and red plants. It would definitely more than qualified for dealing with demanding plants.

To answer your question, MyMandy, yes you can. Low and high lighted plants can both grow with the same types of light. However, the reason higher lighted plants usually require "high light" is so that they can remain their compact composition. Otherwise they'll look stringy and unappealing to those that were expecting something else.

Red plants would benefit from the ecoxotic e series because of the other leds that are added in the spectrum. This should bring out more color from the red plants. They also benefit from the fertilizers that you add into the tank. The addition of iron usually increases the redness of these plants.