New Kid/ Old setup)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
James (Western Canada)
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Kid/ Old setup)

Hello ! I'm a new kid on Planted Tank, but have had aquariums for a good number of years. I already posted this to the Tank Stand "sticky" thread, but thought maybe it should be stand alone as well, as I see many of the other setups in the sticky thread are?

Cheers!
James

There are some BEAUTIFUL stands in this DIY section....but it looks like there are more wood butchers than welders in the mix around here
I built a tubular stand for my 90g (48"x18"x24" tall) back in about 2000 or 2001, it's a perimeter frame ie: 2"x1" top & bottom, on the "flat" to give the greatest load bearing area, with 1"x1" legs, inset 1", so that the stand could be sheeted in later to create a cabinet.
The stand is built to match the outside dimensions of the tank (including trim), I don't personally care for stands with a footprint larger than the tank, as it basically becomes a surface for water to land on when doing maintenance.....
I feel the perimeter design is much better than a stand with "feet", as the feet place point loads on the floor. (probably not a big deal on small tanks, or on a concrete basement floor, but can be an issue on larger tanks, or upper floors)

Anyway, if this works, there should be several pics below

Here is a cad drawing of stand, converted to .jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	AQ STAND_JPG.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	44637

Several shots of stand, with the cabinet "shell", which is removeable by simply spinning off four wingnuts on each side. Shell is 3/4 plywood, painted white on inside, with black laminate (formica??) on outside. Sides & front doors held together by piano hinges. (I'm not sure I would do it this way again).
The studs used to hold the shell onto the frame are just 1/4" ready-rod (aka: allthread) cut to the desired length. The studs are threaded into T-nuts, that were countersunk into the plywood prior to the laminate being glued on.

Name:	MVC-323S.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	44638

Name:	MVC-324S.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	44639

Name:	MVC-325S.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	44640

Inside View, and closeup of wingnuts

Name:	MVC-326S.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	44641

Name:	MVC-327S.JPG
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	44642

The studs used to hold the shell onto the frame are just 1/4" ready-rod (aka: allthread) cut to the desired length. The studs are threaded into T-nuts, that were countersunk into the plywood prior to the laminate being glued on.

Name:  T-nut.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  4.3 KB

This is my original stand, which after deciding to make the switch to a wet/dry trickle filter, you can see it proved to be too short for me to make the offset from the bulkheads in bottom of tank to the top of the wet/dry....so a new stand several inches taller was made, and powder coated like the first one. It would have been easier yet to plumb if I had gone even taller, but as it is, the top rail of the tank is TIGHT into my armpit....any taller would mean I would likely need something to stand on while doing tank maintenance, and that's just looking for trouble

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	44644

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	44645

***Forgot to mention: the weight of the bare stand (without shell) is approx 60lbs....haven't done any calcs to figure what the shell weighs, all my books have steel weights in lbs/ft, no plywood

That's the short version, all I can say is after looking through 31 pages in this thread, mine is pretty much a plain vanilla setup

Cheers!
James

Last edited by James (Western Canada); 06-02-2012 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: spelling:)
James (Western Canada) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement