What is this Black Algae? So sick of it!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

What is this Black Algae? So sick of it!

Alright....I manage my tanks pretty well and do water changes, EI dosing, Pressurized CO2, keep my filters cleaned, etc., etc.....but I can not stand this black algae crap anymore and need some help in getting rid of it. It does not come of easily when rubbed, has a rough texture and seems to develop on leaves that are slow growing or have been in the tank for awhile. If you have any thoughts, please share. I will even send someone samples if they want to try and figure out what it is so I can combat it. Here are pics..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
esworp
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

put me on the list! I seem to follow all the rules, and get this junk often. SOMEONE HELP AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looking closely at the hard spotty stuff, you'll see that some is green (GSA), and some is black (beginnings of BBA or black cyano), mixed together and sometimes overlapping.

Plus I just barely see some fuzz algae on the sides of some leaves. And there may be some GDA on the hardscape, or just really heavy GSA; you can tell the GDA apart if some is soft and will rub off.

Blends like this means there's plant health issues, and maybe insufficient turnover and conversion of organic wastes, due to something limiting plant growth. Could be insufficient light, low CO2, low nutrients, insufficient flow. Look at the algae distribution. Is it mostly at the bottom of the tank? Then check flow and light, which both have a more difficult time reaching the bottom.

If you can post or link tank parameters, we'll look them over.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Looking closely at the hard spotty stuff, you'll see that some is green (GSA), and some is black (beginnings of BBA or black cyano), mixed together and sometimes overlapping.

Plus I just barely see some fuzz algae on the sides of some leaves. And there may be some GDA on the hardscape, or just really heavy GSA; you can tell the GDA apart if some is soft and will rub off.

Blends like this means there's plant health issues, and maybe insufficient turnover and conversion of organic wastes, due to something limiting plant growth. Could be insufficient light, low CO2, low nutrients, insufficient flow. Look at the algae distribution. Is it mostly at the bottom of the tank? Then check flow and light, which both have a more difficult time reaching the bottom.

If you can post or link tank parameters, we'll look them over.
The algae is worse on plants that are low growing. I had some low growing plants but they just got covered with the black algae. The driftwood I know blocks alot of light and that is why I have decided not to have any low growing plants right now. At one time when I didn't have the driftwood and had alot of stems, my tank flourished like this...

Maybe I need to get rid of the driftwood and go back to stems.

Tank : 90 gal Corner Bowfront

Lighting: Coralife Compact Flourescent (4) 65watt 6700K/10,000K bulbs + a Fishneedit T5 (4) bulb fixture (1 socket doesn't work so really only 3 bulbs). I just changed out these bulbs about 3 weeks ago because it had been over 2 years since I last changed them (No $)

Water: RO/DI water and was using Equilibrium at water changes but will begin using GLA Ultimate GH Booster. I was trying to do 50% water changes every week but just starting trying a new method to try and save money because money is tight.....I want to continue to do EI dosing but spreading it out over a 2 week period to where water changes are done every 2 weeks, so instead of dosing let's say 1/2tsp of Potassium Nitrate on Mon., Wed., & Fri. I will dose 1/4tsp on Mon., Wed., Fri., Sun., Tues., Thurs. and then WC on Sat.

Filtration: (2) Fluval 404's but in process of adding a Fluval 304 and possible another. It is very difficult to get the correct flow in a corner aquarium plus I am becoming more convinced everyday that good flow solves alot of problems.

CO2: Pressurized with one line going to a Rex style reactor and the other line going to a glass diffuser.

Substrate: Eco-Complete

Dosing: Modified EI Method. Dosing CSM+B (1/8tsp, T,Th,S,M,W&F), Iron (1/16tsp T,Th,S,M,W&F, Potassium Nitrate (1/4tsp M,W,F,SU,T,TH), Potassium Sulfate (1/8tsp M,W,F,SU,T,TH), Mono-Potassium Sulfate (1/2tsp M,W,F,SU,T,TH)

Pic of tank so you can see where my returns are located
Old 10-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
esworp
Planted Member

I experience this growth irrespective of light intensity - higher background plants experience it, as to low carpeting fellows.

It's a 30 gallon-long tank.
EI fertilizing, dry.
1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/8 tsp K2SO4, and 1/16 tsp KH2PO4 Mon, Wed, Fri,
1/16 tsp Che. Fe, 1/16th Traces Tues, Thurs, Sat
70% water change on Sundays.
calibrated drop checker steady green - about 1 B/sec.
2x t5ho 39 watt at 5 inches off of the water line.
High flow throughout tank, i run two canisters in tandem.
100% laterite substrate.

I find myself in a constant struggle with GSA, with the occasional need to spot-kill (excel) BBA.

7 Skirt Tetras, 4 SAEs, 4(ish) nerites, Malaysian Trumpets.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

It's the beginning of BBA (black beard)... I'm getting the same thing after I cleaned out my filter... The BBA spored in the filter got blown all over the tank and landed on everything.
I hacked all affected plants. New growths aren't affected. You can kill it with spot treating excel. Next time I clean out my filter, I'll have to get all new media and bleach or H2O2 out the old.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
esworp
Planted Member

Weird. it never gets to the Fuzzy Stage. just a sheet that eventually curls up the leaves.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I'm not sure about yours esworp but dewall's looks like what I have.
I think there are several stages of it. If you give it the right conditions, it'll grow the fuzz
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Mine doesn't reach the fussy stage either but is almost like a rough sandpaper feel. As I was looking at it close at lunch today though, I did notice maybe some tuffs of fuss on the very edges of the leaves but it just covers the leaves black and destroys them. The only thing I can do is cut off the bad leaves but I want to get rid of this so I don't have to. I bumped my CO2 up a little at lunch and I may start dosing a little excel everyday to see what happens. My fast growing plants are not affected by it except for the lower growing leaves that have been there. I am hoping that adding another filter (or 2) and also getting my UV sterilizer running again will help things as well.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Would it be possible to soak the driftwood in a bleach bath and then powerwash it to remove any algae and then put it back in the tank or will it soak up to much bleach and leak it back into the tank?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
esworp
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Mine doesn't reach the fussy stage either but is almost like a rough sandpaper feel. As I was looking at it close at lunch today though, I did notice maybe some tuffs of fuss on the very edges of the leaves but it just covers the leaves black and destroys them. The only thing I can do is cut off the bad leaves but I want to get rid of this so I don't have to. I bumped my CO2 up a little at lunch and I may start dosing a little excel everyday to see what happens. My fast growing plants are not affected by it except for the lower growing leaves that have been there. I am hoping that adding another filter (or 2) and also getting my UV sterilizer running again will help things as well.

This.

I can have the leaves be completely covered for over a month, and it never presents the Beardliness. I note that this observation occurred prior to any species of BBA-eating varieties being introduced into my tank. At the same time, I'd experience other tufts of BBA in non-afflicted areas, such as near high-flow locales, or in other, unaffected plants.

Stumped.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used to have the same problem but then i introduced two SAEs and 10 ottos along with a stunted chianese algea eater and after a week or two they all had removed most of it
kribkeeper888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kribkeeper888 View Post
I used to have the same problem but then i introduced two SAEs and 10 ottos along with a stunted chianese algea eater and after a week or two they all had removed most of it
I do have 1 LARGE SAE (did have 2 but lost one) about 4 Ottos and I used to have a chinese algae eater but lost him as well (he was pretty old).....so I maybe it is time to make a trip to the fish shop for more Ottos, another SAE and Chinese Algae eater.....and some more YoYo loaches!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
farrenator
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

You can soak the driftwood in a diluted solution of bleach (10:1 water to bleach). When I have done that in the past I soaked it for about 24-48 hours. I then took a rough sponge to it to scrape off whatever was on the wood, rinsed the heck out of it and then let it air dry for a few (3 at least) days. I never had any ill effects when reintroducing the driftwood back in the tank.

Quote:
Would it be possible to soak the driftwood in a bleach bath and then powerwash it to remove any algae and then put it back in the tank or will it soak up to much bleach and leak it back into the tank?
farrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Pic of tank so you can see where my returns are located
That whole "tent" construct in the middle definitely looks like it's blocking both light and flow.

Increasing flow alone may be enough to correct it. You have plenty of filtration, so instead of adding more, you might just add directed flow via a powerhead.

I ordered a TruAqua CP-12 (Koralia clone) last night for testing the effect of flow on some lower regions in my tanks. Rated at 1,321GPH and 12W, it's cheaper and more energy efficient than additional filtration. Magnetically mounts through the glass, and has a ball-joint swivel, so it should be really easy to direct heavy flow anywhere. Something like this might be a useful option for your corner tank.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote