My Fish Have Ick?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

My Fish Have Ick?

Hi Everyone!
I went on vacation last week and when I got home yesterday I realized my fish all have ick. I had someone come in to feed the fish. My lights are on timers and I have a heater so I have no clue as to why they have come down with ick.
They are all eating and swimming as normal.
Its been so long since Ive had freshwater fish that Im not sure how to resolve the problem? I also have snails, plants and shrimp. Any suggestions?
Im heading over to the city this am to pick up some meds just wondering if you all had any suggestions before I head out?
Thanks
Patrick
partobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

Most ich meds are tough on shrimp. Epecially those that contain copper. There's a quinone based med called Ich Attack, or something very similar that works but smells bad and makes a mess of your filter media. I used it once in the past when I couldn't get the fish out of the aquarium due to planting and multiple hiding spots.

There's also the heat method which works on most types of ich, but can be as tough or tougher on certain fish and especially on shrimp. Most people use a combination of heat and meds.

Some swear by salt, but my LFS salts the bejeepers out of their tanks and still have fish covered in ich.

IMO the best course of action is to put your fish (all of them) in the quarantine tank and use a copper based medication. Don't return the fish to the main tank for two weeks or better. If you return them sooner, or don't remove all of the fish, then it's almost certain that the tomites or trophonts will survive, and the parasite will persist in the tank at some level.

If you have no choice, and find that you must treat the fish in the main tank, continue the treatment for several weeks, at least two, but preferably for a month. The problem with treating in the main tank will be trying to prevent trophonts on the substrate from surviving the treatment.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Sharkfood
Like you my tank is full of plants and hiding places. The only way I could catch all my fish would be to take everything out. I will take your other suggestion and treat with meds and heat. What tep should I go with? Will the higher temps stress my plants?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I don't know how true this is but I have heard that H2O2 will treat some fish diseases. I've used it to kill some BBA but never tried it as a treatment for ich. I have a fish that got ich though and was planning on trying it out. I'll let you know if it works
Hcancino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Hcanino
I would be very interested and knowing how that turns out for you. Since I dont have quarantine tank Ive decided to try the heat method. Ive been slowly increasing the heat. Im at 82 now and will have it up to 86 today and will leave it there for a month and see if that works.