Getting rid of ich in a planted tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Brussell996

PTrader: (0/0%)

Getting rid of ich in a planted tank?

I have a 55 gallon planted tank and it was doing great until I added some plecos to control algae which obviously had ich. I normally quarantine my fish but I didn't with the plecos and I'm really kicking myself for it. I now have a tank with ich. The tank was at 75 degrees and the plants and fish were both doing great at that temp. I have raised the temp to 83 degrees to try to get rid of the ich. I used liquid and fizzing tablets that were supposed to get rid of ich but noticed that they were starting to hurt my plants so I have stopped using them and I don't know what to do. If I can avoid using more medicine that would be great. What should I do? I don't want to loose my fish because I absolutely love my tank. I have 4 black skirted tetras, 3 blue platties, 3 bumble bee platties, 2 panda platties, 2 spotted cory catfish, 2 snails, 1 algae eater, and 2 plecos. They all have ich except the cory catfish. Is there anything I can do? I'm going to put a picture of my tank and a picture of the tetras that have it the worst. (picture of the tetras isn't good cause they wouldn't stay still long enough to get a picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1230.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	36652  

Name:	IMG_1232.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	36653  

Brussell996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

The typical treatments are usually either medication (malachite green, formalin, and copper are a few) or aquarium salt & high heat, the latter of which will hurt your plants. I've successfully used a combination of Kordon's Rid-Ich+ and raised temp (about 82) in my planted tank with little effect on the plants. It does stain things blue, though it looks like your silicone is already stained.

Most commercial medications will kill shrimp and snails, and some scaleless fish such as loaches and some tetras are really sensitive to it, and will need a half dose. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

Kordon also makes an all natural herbal medicine called Ich Attack, but I don't know how well it works.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've used the Kordon natural Ich Attack in my 10G which has more plants in it that I see in yours and I saw no effect on the plants whatsoever. I think I dosed 5-7 days and didn't lose a single fish. So I would +1 Kordon products.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
TankZen
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Kordon natural Ich Attack... I second this is what I use as well....nice that it is a all natural product and not a carcinogen.

TankZen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
cardgenius
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)

+1 for Kordon Herbal Ich Attack.

Im just finishing up my treatment for Ich. I started off by raising the heat to 86*. I added a UV sterilizer and was doing 50% water changes daily. I did this for about two weeks and it got most of it removed. Unfortunately I kept noticing just one or two spots on a certain fish that wouldnt go away, or if they did, a new spot would show up the next day. So thats why I went out and bought the Herbal medicine. Its been 4 days since I started dosing and havent seen any spots since. Ill be done with my treatment in a day or two as long as no spots come back.

My tank is planted and I havent seen any bad effects from the Ich Attack.

I didnt go with salt or Rid-Ich because I hear its hard on plants and sensitive fish.
cardgenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
JasonG75
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

While you're add it you might want to remove these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-26-2011 12-44-27 PM.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	36659  

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
JasonG75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
beardedcharmer
Algae Grower

yeah that is not a planted tank just treat as normal with high heat, salt or formalin/MG
beardedcharmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Kisa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Good luck! Hope you can eradicate it. Glad I found this thread because my cardinals seem to have ich so I'll try this natural remedy.
Kisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

I usually rather take out the fish and treat in a small container. Less meds to use and doesn't leave anything in the tank or effect anything else in the tank. I find aquarium salt does it 95% of the time too. My roomies last batch of LFS had ich and started to spread it. Took out all the infected fish, treated for 2 days with salt, done. Before that, he had it in a different tank and I tried 2 different ich meds for like a week, blue-green water, kept coming back, removed and salted for a few days, done.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
DarkPhoenix
Algae Grower

I'm glad I found this thread. My brand new Discus have ick so I, thinking I'm going to treat them for a couple days with salt in a separate tank since mine has a LOT of plants. But one question:

How much salt should I use?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	374593  

DarkPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
eat2muchrice
Algae Grower

I treat Ich with heat only, by raising the temp to 86+degree’s, increase irrigation as heat lowers oxygen. In about 2+ weeks search for signs of white spots. When all is cleared kept the temperature raised for another 4-5 days to ensure hatching eggs are killed off eliminating the full life cycle. Depending on the plants and fish you might lose one or two as a casualty of war. From my research heat ,salt and/or meds will work faster, I personally try not to use meds unless it’s an emergency and salt can be hard on some fish/plants.
eat2muchrice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
g4search
Algae Grower

If I had ich in my planted tank, the first thing I would do is to take all fish out of the tank and treat them in a hospital tank, similar to what GeToChKn did. (I know it may be difficult at times and stress the fish, but I would do it anyway).

The advantage that I see tough is that I wouldn't have to treat my plants (and snails) at all, since they are NOT susceptible to ich. Ich needs fish or frogs to propagate and does not go through a resting or hybernating stage. Therefore, the planted tank will be free of ich in about 2 weeks. However, just to be on the save side, I would re-introduce my fish after 4 weeks. Of course during that time I would maintain my planted tank with the usual routine.
g4search is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
KatherineL
Algae Grower

I dislike staining with meds. Also the heat-salt method never worked for me and killed half my plants. I like using fenbendazole powder at 84-86 deg, the safeguard for dogs at petco. Took away the spots overnight but I treat for two weeks just in case. No casualties including plants, otos and dwarf cories.

Dissolve 1 packet into 200ml water.
shake water in tupperware or bottle
Treat 1 ml per gal
KatherineL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
caique
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

http://www.petco.com/product/105336/...-Dewormer.aspx

Same idea as KatherineL above post says, but I would only dose 1/10 of a gram per 10 gallons a packet holds 1 gram so about half of packet for a 55. I would stick recommended dose in cup grind with a Mortar and Pestle
then add water into cup then pour into tank.

This is what I use 1/10 of a gram per ten gallons, based on water volume not tank size, if ich isn't gone in one day go ahead and treat again, I would do a 30 to 40% water change after second treatment and treat again if necessary. I used this one time and ich was gone after one dose, haven't seen it since. The active ingredient is fenbendazole. It is safe for Invertebrates, fish, and plants.I learned this trick from Aqua Forest in San Francisco.

This stuff works for planaria or flatworms also. For planaria I have dosed 1/20th of a gram for 10 gallons and have had success.

Last edited by caique; 10-01-2014 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: added
caique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
While you're add it you might want to remove these.

+ A million! Those are going to rot in your tank, they are not aquatic. You can only have the roots in the water the rest must be above water.

Also I used Paraguard by Seachem to treat for ich. I had plants, Shrimp, Corys, Celestial pearl Danios. They were just fine, didn't stain the tank and I raised the temp to 85 degrees. Everyone was fine in 4 weeks.

Tags
freshwater fish, ich, treatment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.