Strange journey for amano?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
imcmaster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Strange journey for amano?

Added 5 oto and 5 amano to a 180g 4 days ago (tank is quite new - 3 weeks with fish, 4 weeks with plants). I thought it was time to add a bit of a cleanup crew. After 1 day everything seemed OK (the acclimatization took 1 hour - maybe could have been longer)? , but on the second day I couldn't find any shrimp in the tank. I thought they were gone, but where? Today is my water change, which is done via the sump. I see movement there, and then find 4 of the shrimp in the sump. This is quite a journey for them.

Story aside, in your experience why would the shrimp 'escape' the tank? There are lots of plants, driftwood and moss. They are looking good still darting all over the place. I'm on my way to buy an assortment of different food to try to keep them in the tank. Any advice would be appreciated.
imcmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Izzy-
Planted Member

Since it's a new setup, there's a chance unstable parameters caused the shrimps to want to get out.

The same thing happened to me. My tank was a month old when I added 3 ammanos and 2 ended up climbing out. I found them half way in my room lol it sucked.
The Fraternity of Dirt #169

N+1=T
N=The number of tanks you currently own.
T=The correct number of tanks you should own.
Izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wouldn't the sump have the same water parameters as the main tank? If they were trying to escape bad water wouldn't they leave the water entirely. Maybe they were just curious or attracted to the buildup of microorganisms in the sump? I don't know, just some thoughts.

Journals:
Long............XII
natebuchholz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
imcmaster
Planted Tank Obsessed

The water in the sump should be almost identical, but maybe a subtle difference: The tank water spills into a wet/dry (where I would expect the CO2 to be off-gassed), before settling in the sump. On the return, CO2 is injected. I should measure the pH in the sump and compare to the tank. Is it known that shrimp don't like higher CO2? So far the tetras and otos don't show any distress from CO2 levels.

Veggie wafer has been added, and already 3 of the shrimp have found it and are not going anywhere.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You may be onto something with the co2 concentration.

Journals:
Long............XII
Old 03-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
imcmaster
Planted Tank Obsessed

Never measured the pH of the sump before. With Co2 now running several hours the main tank is stable at around ph 7.0/7.1, kH of 7 (so CO2 around 20ppm? in the tank). Interestingly the pH in the sump is around 7.4/7.5 putting CO2 below 10ppm. The pH before CO2 runs is around 8.0.

So maybe those rascal amanos were just curious, maybe they were hungry, maybe they didn't like the lower ph / higher CO2? I agree with Nate that the water parameters, at least in the sump are good, or they would have gone for a longer journey.

Now they have wafers so I should be able to rule out hungry. Lets see if they get out again...
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

very interesting, keep us posted.

Journals:
Long............XII
Old 03-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
gog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

What kind of overflow do you use? It could just be that they found something tasty in or near the overflow and one thing led to another.
gog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
imcmaster
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting idea. It would be a 'conscious' decision to leave the water as it is about a 1" climb over the slotted barrier (see below). Debris can be trapped on the tank side at the lower parts of the slot where the water level is (this area must be cleaned on a regular basis). The tetras do not normally allow any food to collect here; they seek out any last flakes, even at these slots, within about 30 seconds of a feeding. Normally it is bits of plant material that would collect in the slots.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
PickieBee
Algae Grower

I've been keeping amanos for years and they often try to escape in the first week or two of being in a new tank. After they settle in and become familiar with their new territory they tend to stay put a lot better.
PickieBee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
imcmaster
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to know!

Well, three more shrimp appeared in the sump again today. They are healthy and bouncing around. Now all amanos are accounted for. They hang around the bottom of the wet/dry filter. I think they like the constant stream of oxygenated water coming out of the bio ball chamber. The other amanos have stayed in the main tank, and seem content there on driftwood with lots of moss.

I am not sure if I should keep putting those buggers back in the main tank, or let them be in the sump for awhile. Sounds like they will eventually enjoy being in the tank after a few weeks... IDK... lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.