Keep low grade crystal red shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
treyLcham
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

Keep low grade crystal red shrimp

So... What do you guys think?
Ph-6.2ish
Gk-7
Kh-1
Water temp-74-77
Tds-180
I'm not looking at having to Breed them, if they do great, but it's not the end of the world if they don't. They will be in my 60gallon high tech fully planted and established tank. Their is tons and tons of hiding spots and moss, and a large open area with just dwarf hair grass. I plan to get 20low grade crs. One thing I'm not sure about is my water changes though. So for my water changes its every Sunday and it's a 50% water change. I do keep the water in a tub for a day or two before the water change to insure the water is the same temp, but the ph will be different at a 7.2ph vs the tank at a 6.2 ish ph. Now I'm thinking since it's only a 59% water change that it won't be so bad and that the kh vein so low will also help with it adjusting faster? Just let me know what you guys think! Oh forgot to add that I do have fish but it's only 4 green tetras. I did have ghost shrimp in the tank for ever but they finally decided it was time to die, and I'm actually quite surprised they lived so long knowing they were just adult feeder shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
treyLcham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (472/100%)

You could probably do it. Especially if appropriately acclimated. May even be able to find someone keeping them in parameters similar to your own.

But why not consider some sort of Neo that would be far more tolerant?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
treyLcham
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You could probably do it. Especially if appropriately acclimated. May even be able to find someone keeping them in parameters similar to your own.

But why not consider some sort of Neo that would be far more tolerant?
im looking to do some sort of blue neo and as for the crs, i have always wanted to keep these since the first ada planted tank video i saw which actually got me hooked to planted tanks and it had the crs. I mean, if it doesnt work its not the end of the world, but i wanted to make sure before just winging it and wasting money and killing shrimp. Would you or could you recommend any blue shrimp? Would love to hear your suggestions =)

Oh forgot to ask, what to yo is an appropriate amount of time for doing acclimation with shrimp? I would guess 3hours on a dripper, but you probably would know better! =-)
Old 08-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Jaxfisher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Acclimate them to the temperature & TDS of your water using a slow drip. I've gotten some that only took 20-30" & I've gotten some that took most if the day!
Jaxfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
billb
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Very nice tank! Your conditions in the tank are fine. I don't think the difference in your make up water pH will cause any issues if added at a reasonable rate. There is an online vendor who sells CRS from stocks breed in tap water. Brian's Tropicals. He knows his stuff and the stock is really healthy. I bought mine from him 6 months ago and they acclimated quickly to my hi-tech tank (pH around 6.1)
billb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
treyLcham
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the quick reply's everybody =). So when doing the drip you typically will test the water before you start then start and test every so often until its the same as the tank water then i am guessing? What if their isn't enough water to take good enough samples(I use the api test kit, but i do have the tds meter and temp) Any ideas on where i could get some blue neo shrimp? I might do some blue carbon rili shrimp maybe. Still really like the deeper blues though =)

Last edited by treyLcham; 08-08-2015 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: mroe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.