Water Softners
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-16-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
rossi32s
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to rossi32s Send a message via AIM to rossi32s

This is a tiny bit off topic but....

I just bought a house and I am going to buy a water softner. Any reccomendation or anyone know what i need to consider when buying one? Can the water that is softnened be used in teh aquarium or do i leave a bypass for washing the car and filling the tank and watering the lawn etc...?
rossi32s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
ljezuit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That is a good question. I can tell you from my experience that I use a whole house water softener and I DO use that water in my tank. The water has a KH around 15 and GH around 3-5. I decided to use the water in my tank because of what my tap water did to my appliances. The water would turn our white appliances rust colored in just a few uses. With the softener this is eliminated.

I do worry about the effect the salt has on my plants. I used to think this was the culprit on why my plants were not growing well, but I think I am getting a hold on other things (Upgraded lights, added lots of stem plants, and soon to boost my Nitrate with the help of Rex since it is at 0).

We are using the rest of the salt up in the softener now and I am replacing it with Potassium Chloride which I think will actually be beneficial for the plants. I am not a biology major, but I wonder what the effect of the salt is on the plants. According to my water softener manufacturer, there is very little salt in the water. As a matter of fact you canít taste any difference in the water.

For the record I use a Sears Kenmore water softener. When buying one you need to know how many gallons per day you use. Just keep track for a week or two. This way you can get the right size that will not have to recharge all the time and will provide a steady flow of softened water. I also suggest instead of using the bypass switch have a plumber or the installer rework the piping so that your outside water bypasses the water softener. This will make it a lot easier so that when you are washing the car or watering the lawn, you do not have to run downstairs to flip a switch which then in the meantime, the entire house will have your old hard water until it is switched back.

Red Rubin Sword, Java Fern, Hygro, Val, Crypt Wen., E. tenn
ljezuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:27 PM   #3
rossi32s
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to rossi32s Send a message via AIM to rossi32s

It was my understanding that the salt was only used during the backflushing process?
rossi32s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
ljezuit
Algae Grower

Not exactly sure about the whole process but I it does add salt to the water. There is a thread here that explains how it works. Something about the salt ion bonding to the Calcium ion.

Red Rubin Sword, Java Fern, Hygro, Val, Crypt Wen., E. tenn
ljezuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:51 AM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

They sell Pottasium chloride pellets rather than the sodium chloride. This would give the added benefit of adding beneficial potassium to the tank. It would also be more beneficial to someone who has high blood pressure by introducing potassium rather than sodium into your drinking water.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 AM   #6
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

There are times when the water softener goes through it's flushing cycle where it flushes the tank resins with the salt brine water to loosen all the minerals that were removed from well water. If you happen to be filling up your aquarium at this time you'll get really salty water. I've noticed a few times when I got a drink of water from the faucet during the flush cycle and had to spit it out. Might want to check before you fill your buckets.
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:38 AM   #7
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Where do you find the Pottasium chloride pellets and how does it compare in price to the regular softener salt? I never knew they had any other kind besides the salt pellets. Thanks
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:34 AM   #8
LkV
Algae Grower

I have been using a water softener for a long time. Depending on the style or model, it could add a bit of salt to the water, which would only probably affect the health of people with high blood pressure as was said earlier. However, I also heard that a bit of salt is good for the fish, keeps them healthier and less prone to catching diseases? Probably not so good for the plants.

However, I had been using the soft water for my tank and fish bowl. periodically the ph in the water spikes to high 8's. Fish are still alive. I don't exactly understand the chemistry. I know that alkaline is more slippery feeling and soft water is slippery feeling, does that mean soft water is more alkaline? Does any one know??

The big tank seems to be more immune to these big PH fluctuations. I am going to start using unconditioned water in my fish tank. My shrimps can't seem to survive in the high alkaline environment.
LkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

The reason the pH spikes is due to lack of buffers in your water. You did not say where the pH starts but for many fish a spike into the high 8's may not kill them but it will cause a lot of stress and can lead to disease and shortened lives. Also if you have any ammonia present it is much more toxic at higher pH than lower pH.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #10
LkV
Algae Grower

The high PH started at the tap water that's conditioned or soft (8.8). KH is 4-6. GH is 4.
Water from my hose bib (unconditioned or hard) is 7.6. KH is 3 and GH is 4. I actually don't have very hard water but it helps eliminate the lime deposits from everything over time.

What kind of buffer should I use? chemicals or I read somewhere else in this forum about coral powder. There's no ammonia or Nitrites in the water, amazingly for a fish bowl. I guess the bacteria is doing a petty good job.

Different topic, does that mean I should culture some bacteria in my fish bowl and put it in my 18 gal tank? Since my 18 gal tank is having high nitrite (2-5 ppm or higher?). Hard to tell from the chart. :?
Old 08-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #11
LkV
Algae Grower

I mean ph of 8.8.