Gravel size and colour....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
paddles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Gravel size and colour....

Hi, we have recently bought a 6ft x 2ft x 2 1/2 ft tank (upgrading from our 4ft tank) however now the question of gravel is coming into our decisions, obviously the old gravel will not be enough to use in the 6 ft tank, and we have the option of changeing the colours/types of setup. I was thinking of going with the natural look gravel that we have in the existing tank (2-5 mm), but then was advised that going with a smaller gravel would be a good idea. (2-3) the finer gravel is only available in white, black or brown. pretty solid colours (as in not a lot of variation in the colouring of the stones) so the base would look pretty uniform. my concern is that the gravel would then show the ?muck? of the fish/plant detrius. I have also been told that I vacuum my gravel too often (i used to do it once a week, during water change) is this true? what is for the best? I want to stay with a gravel, not go to a sand. suggestions?
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

A smaller gravel is a good idea. Not sure the space between the pieces of gravel would be much different if the current gravel is 2-5mm and the small stuff is 2-3mm though.

You might see if mixing your old with the new is pleasing to your eye. I mixed dark shades of small pea sized gravel with raw rice grain sized natural [medium beige] Schultz's Aquatic Soil and like the variation in size and color a lot. In my case the light weight SAS goes to the top but I read that small grains will go down in time if gravel and sand are mixed.

I go over the surface of most of the tank every time I change water but don't disturb the substrate at all. Lots of fish poop and dead plant matter come up but I leave plenty behind I am sure. The mulm is great stuff but too much might be too much of a good thing.