Diesel's 140gal playing in the mud
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red face

Diesel's 140gal playing in the mud

Alright guys, as I have been lurking here for a while, I finally decided to put a journal together for my 140gallon.

I am a recent convert from saltwater as I have grown tired of reef tanks and their upkeep and the looks and tranquility have always intrigued me with planted tanks

SO a little background on the tank. I was able to get this entire setup very cheap (which I might add came back to bite me!).

Well, like I stated above, this "cheap" buy has been nothing but headaches for me since I moved it into the house. As about a month aver moving the tank, the bottom glass busted a seam!!! Guess you get what you pay for.

I broke the tank down, didn't remove all the silicone, and just resealed over the seams, I know, I know, big mistake as it began to leak again last week.

SO over the course of the week I scraped all the old silicone out, and resealed the tank, correctly this time (hopefully the last!!!)

Taking this all it with a grain of salt, I decided to set this up as a low maintenance dirt tank as I am getting lazy, and frankly I want to enjoy the tank, and not constantly work on it

Tank specs are:
72x18x25 Oceanic with dual overflows
30gal Sump with wet/dry filtration
100 watt titanium heater: Prob wont use it much
UV Sterilizer: Same thing, prob wont use it much
Iwaki Return.
Lighting is 4x54w T5HO suspended about 6" off the waterline

On with some pics!

Temporary homes from the leakage:

Current fauna:
10 Zebra Danios
5 Cardinal Tetras
1 Panda Cory
9 Blood Fin Tetras
2 Koi Angels
1 Philippine Blue Angel
4 Ottos
2 Plecos
10 Buenos Aires Tetras

Current Flora(I think, not to good with this plant ID thing yet):
Taxiphyllum ferriei (Weeping Moss)
Brazillian Sword
Cabomba furcata(Red Cabomba)
Egeria densa
Hygrophila difformis (Wisteria)
Dwarf Bonsai
Mayaca fluviatilis
Hygro sp. Tiger

MMM..Dirt

Please critique my hardscape.....Dont mind the cloudyness, it was just filled

Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Looks good so far, sucks about the leaks. I recently set up a 125g that I thankfully saw holding water before I bought.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

^^Thanks. Unfortunate bad news for this tank as I apparently cannot fix it, and it leaked again.

There is a local company that will come to my house and do it for $250, so I am throwing the idea around of having them reseal it. Still cheaper than a brand new tank.

I forgot how fun this hobby is....

Anyway, in the mean time I will be setting up a journal for my 10g mud tank that I just setup.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

So with the sump it's 170 gallons all together?

I would break it down, remove the overflows and use those holes for hidden intakes and outlets, clean the tank really good, buff out any scratches with the stuff you use to clean these new car headlights it removes the scatches and any yellowing, and reseal the tank with a thin bead of silicone along the seams.

Don't give up, you can do it for $25 forget that other company.

That's my pep talk, did it work?
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

Yea, about 170 gal total, give or take 10-12 gal.

Your pep talk is working, but I have failed with scraping the old silicone out and resealing it twice now, lol, I am losing hope.

As for the overflows, I wanted to take them due to the real estate they take up, but I want to keep the sump, how would I prevent the water from entering the sump when I turn the pump off and flooding everywhere?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Sucks it leaked on you again. I ran into my own problem last night on my new 125g so I know how it is. Best of luck to you, keep at it you'll get it and be happy at the end result.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

Thx man, I think I might have found the issue though.

As the bottom pane is where the seal is actually leaking, I only scraped the silicone off of that one pane. As I have been researching, all (sides and everything) of the interior silicone needs to be replaced, which isn't what have done. I think this might be where I am faulting.

I really do not want to put another 250 into just fixing the leak as 150EH has sparked my drive to try again lol.

If the tank holds water for say 2-3 days, does anyone know if its good to move forward? I do not want to add my flora and fauna back in until I am certain.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
Yea, about 170 gal total, give or take 10-12 gal.

Your pep talk is working, but I have failed with scraping the old silicone out and resealing it twice now, lol, I am losing hope.

As for the overflows, I wanted to take them due to the real estate they take up, but I want to keep the sump, how would I prevent the water from entering the sump when I turn the pump off and flooding everywhere?
Good, just take your time and do a really good job without ever saying that's good enough and you'll get it, a little reseach on acrylic glues might help, I did see a thread the other day and the acrylic was bonded with Methol Chloride or something crazy like that, so look for options.

The sump is another thing I do not have all the aswers on but I know it can be done, many folks here have sumps on tanks with drilled bottoms, so it's most likely going to be some sort of check valve involved, this tank has a sump and would answer question your questions and this one also has a sump later in the thread I think.

Good luck and if I find anything you'll be first to know.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

Thanks fo the advice. Much appreciated, I will keep this thread posted with all progress.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

def. keep us posted. what problems are you having with the sump? I have one of my 125g and will be building another one for my 55g soon. I'll try to answer
Old 10-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

I would like to remove the overflows for hidden drains and returns. However, I do not know how to to prevent the draining for power failures, turning off the pump, ect.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

It's a process of balancing the water from the DT and the sump. I filled my DT to the bottom of the inlet pipe. (mine overhangs the rear of the tank and siphons up and over) then filled my sump. That was the perfect balance. In the event of a power failure the DT will only drain to the bottom of the inlet pipe therefor only draining the sump to the very top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
I would like to remove the overflows for hidden drains and returns. However, I do not know how to to prevent the draining for power failures, turning off the pump, ect.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

Thx. My returns are right underneath. I think I may get rid of one of them and plug it, but keep the other and aquascape around it.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #14
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

You could try a Durso Standpipe, and just paint it to match your tank. That may work for you. Your only other option, would be to plug all the holes and drain over the rim of the tank. Either way, I am looking forward to more of this big tank. How is the repair coming along?
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Diesel3443
Algae Grower

Thanks, I thought about this too since I already have durso's in the overflows to quiet them.

Repair is coming along. I will post pics as it goes..... I still need to remove the sand and dirt from the tank lol...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.