Raven_Wilde's 'Ebiwagumi' Edge (Updated Pics 6/6/2012) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #76
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Great looking shrimp tank!
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Nice nice nice Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I see the tank is greennnnnnnnnnn, then I love it.

Great job on the scape too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halffrozen View Post
Man.. every single one of these edges that look this good makes me want to get one.. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Very pretty, great progression shots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp_Newb View Post
Über cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMcG View Post
very cool!
Thanks every body!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #77
jczz1232
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Great looking tank might used you item for the ground cover. You know what company makes those glass beads. I only see colorful ones when I do a search on Amazon. Which I don't want lols
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #78
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

Have you upgraded to the LED bar yet?

I just upgraded my 6G 21 LED to the 12G 42 LED bar.
Doubling the LEDs made a big difference. In about a month I've noticed my mosses have grown a bit more then I was expecting.
I have an extra 12G 42 LED bar if you'd like.

Good stuff!
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #79
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Thoughts After 2 Years of Setup

Hi everyone!

I haven't been on plantedtank in quite a while - real life has intruded and I've been suuuuuper busy. I also have to report that this tank setup no longer exists

Basically I got tired of trying to maintenance and trim the moss through that silly little hole in the top. Also the mesh screen on the hood began to rust out last fall and that really made me mad - nice design there Hagen, an aquarium hood that rusts.

I'm happy with the experience I had with this tank but long term it was unfortunately not sustainable. Also, I'm taking evening programming classes right now so I've had to pare my number of tanks down to 2 and it was easy to say good by to this one- it had gotten super overgrown over the last year. It was basically solid moss up to the top glass- the shrimp LOVED it, but it wasn't much to look at. So, oh well.

Anyway - to answer any lingering questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczz1232 View Post
Great looking tank might used you item for the ground cover. You know what company makes those glass beads. I only see colorful ones when I do a search on Amazon. Which I don't want lols
I found them at a Michaels store. They were in little bags of about 12 a piece - on the lower rack, really cheap but they had them bagged by color so it was easy to get just black ones. I have no idea if they still carry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
Have you upgraded to the LED bar yet?

I just upgraded my 6G 21 LED to the 12G 42 LED bar.
Doubling the LEDs made a big difference. In about a month I've noticed my mosses have grown a bit more then I was expecting.
I have an extra 12G 42 LED bar if you'd like.

Good stuff!
I did not- however I did end up purchasing the replacement LED bulbs sold by Hagen because the CREE LED bulbs that I had initially used began to corrode after about a year. I might have posted about that earlier, or I meant to. I would definitely recommend the Hagen bulbs - they are comparable to the CREEs and they are water tight.

Since we're on the subject of water damage to the EDGE, I suppose I should summarize things I have noticed after 2 years of continuous use:

Rust & Corrosion:
  • The mesh screen on the hood it totally rusted - which sucks and is a stupid design flaw. That thing gets constantly wet from back splash and evaporation - super dumb to not take that in consideration when selecting materials. This started to be noticeable after 1 year. At 2 it is now totally ugly & I would want to replace it.
  • I've also noticed corrosion around the pin-holes that the bulbs plug into. I'm not sure exactly how bad that is but it can't be good.

Filter
  • Held up pretty good - But then, Aquaclears usually do. Mine needed a really good scrubbing when I tore it down to get water deposits off but it's still in good working condition and will likely be re-purposed some day.

Tank
  • Also held up really well, except for a few places that I accidentally scratched it its in good shape. The only thing is that since its so darn hard to clean I don't know if I'll ever get it back to sparkling new. So there's that.

If anyone has any other questions about this tank or about the long-term use of the EDGE do let me know, I promise I will try to be better about checking back here
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #80
chan0482
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great journal raven_wilde!

I have had my edge running for about two years now as well. I did not experience the rusting on the mesh hood part that you did, however about a year ago I did put a zoomed 501 w/ spraybar which basically eliminated all the splashing the AC filter created. Beside that my experience has been very similar (including the corrosion around where the light pins insert :/ but the lights are still working fine for now) and mostly all positive. I like the aesthetic of these tanks quite a bit.
chan0482 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, fluval edge, iwagumi, moss carpet, shrimp tank