MTS Snail Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Lesley
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

MTS Snail Question

I went to my LFS today & happened to see that most of their tanks have MTS's in them.... I've been there many times & hadn't noticed any of these before until today, after reading this post & wanting to get some to clean my tank hearing about how they burrow in the substrate...... The girl at the store told me that they've always had them, they are a problem, they end up in their filtration system & once you have them in your tank you can't get rid of them..... She gave me a bag with about 20 in it & now, before I put them in my tank, I'm wondering...

Am I going to wish I hadn't??????????

Also, my concern is: Are these snails going to kill my Red Rams Horn Snails?????

EDIT: A couple other questions please.

Can someone tell me what my GH & KH & PH should be for Breeding & Raising RCS in a 10g tank that has a sponge filter, some live plants & Fluval Shrimp Statum. Thank you. Lesley
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

They wont kill anything, but they do overpopulate, so you'll need to regularly remove them from your tank. It's easy to do. You could also get assassin snails later down the road to eat them.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Another option is that they come out at night a lot to feed. So at night just look at your tank with a flashlight and scoop out half of what you see on the sides of your tank. Very easy if you use a net. Repeat until you reach a level you wish for.

Another problem with MTS is that when you start to have a larger population of them, your plants in your substrate will become uprooted when they burrow around in there. This will force you to replant a lot.
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think you would of been fine being given 3 or 4 MTS.. they can get themselves pregnant and bring out more MTS and so on and so on..

I think 20 was kind of overkill lol. But you should be fine as long as you control their population by removing a few of em when it gets hectic.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah...I started with 10 about 2 weeks ago. I bet I have 50+ now. They are pretty cool for snails though. People are always asking for them in the classifieds so they should be easy to get rid of without having to kill them.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

man they are cool but every time you have to remove some off them :P
i started with 3 and now ...... who knowes Lol
sapphoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I started with 11 years ago and flushed about a million down the drain. Then I got assassins and now I have a hard time finding MTSs. I think I will post a thread on my experience as there seems to be a number of posts directly related to what I went through the past few years. Stay tuned. Lol.

Last edited by garfieldnfish; 10-10-2011 at 06:02 PM..
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
yohohon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I run a very high co2 in my tank and don't see mts at all. I have seen them may be a couple of times within last 2 months (since I introduced them to the tank). Other snails, fish and shrimp do ok, but I just don't see mts ever(night, day doesnt matter). My only version is high CO2 levels prevent them from breeding too much or at all, just like shrimp. Anybody with experience like that?
yohohon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I used to have tons of them in my tank as well as about 10,000 ramshorns until I started injecting co2. I believe the ph drops to the point it deteriorates the shells. I've since added some crushed coral to the canister, but all the snails are already dead and i'm reluctant to add any more back in now that I don't have to worry about scooping out snails from this tank.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
yohohon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Right right, now that you mentioned it, I used to have lots of ramshorns back in the days. Now I don't see them either. My ph is always on the acidic side, even at night, as I am trying to grow Toninas. My water is very soft. The shell deterioration from lack of Ca and low ph must be the reason.
I guess that should be made a known fact around here, that if one runs high co2 and the water is soft, then the snail outbreak is less likely, if at all possible.
yohohon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 AM   #11
Lesley
Planted Member

I just got some Malaysian Trumpet Snails from my LFS. I'm wondering how to tell the difference between them and assassin snails? I just saw a pic of some assassins & they almost look the same....... Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #12
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
I just got some Malaysian Trumpet Snails from my LFS. I'm wondering how to tell the difference between them and assassin snails? I just saw a pic of some assassins & they almost look the same....... Thanks
The MTS will have a very elongated shell that goes to a point. An assassin snail will have this tube-like thing sticking out from its "head" or its body or something. Looks almost like a horn.

If you wait a bit if you see the snails burrowing -> MTS. Chasing after other snails... haha.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #13
Lesley
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
The MTS will have a very elongated shell that goes to a point. An assassin snail will have this tube-like thing sticking out from its "head" or its body or something. Looks almost like a horn.

If you wait a bit if you see the snails burrowing -> MTS. Chasing after other snails... haha.
If I wait long enough I'll see which snails burrowing chasing which snails? My snails have burrowed, all except one & he has been cruising around the water line sucking up the crap up there..
Old 10-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #14
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
If I wait long enough I'll see which snails burrowing chasing which snails? My snails have burrowed, all except one & he has been cruising around the water line sucking up the crap up there..
You mentioned you had other snails in the tank correct? Then you definitely have MTS and not assassins. If you had assassins they would immediately go after your ramshorns.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
Lesley
Planted Member

Oh, yes I have Red Ramshorn and they seem all to be well so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.