Ocean's Aquarium, SF
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 03-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
bellisb925
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ocean's Aquarium, SF

I have bought many a plants from Justin, but wondering if anybody buys fish from him. He has some rams I would like, but would like to hear if anybody has any experience with his livestock.
bellisb925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Tino
Planted Tank Obsessed

His stock is excellent. He actually keeps a log of all fish that comes in, quarantine dates, etc... Very healthy stock, I would highly recommend him over any other LFS around.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 AM   #3
item1702
Algae Grower

I bought a couple of Apistos form him recently. So far they are looking pretty good. He will give you a home made dripper if it's the first time you buy fish from him.
item1702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Gill Man
Algae Grower

Not the adult caucatoides!? I wanted those! They're in the same tank as the blue pleco, which I also want. Guess I should go get 'em.
Gill Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
rayhwong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong

That blue pleco is nice!
I had variable results with his fish. The water in his tanks is very different from east bay water. Use the dripper wisely! Its a must.

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
rayhwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
item1702
Algae Grower

No I didn't get the caucatoides, probably because I didn't see them. I got a pair of these guys instead. Apistogramma bitaeniata
Old 03-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Gill Man
Algae Grower

He's got a lot of unique things, including a Cameroon Fan Shrimp, http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_atyopsis.php and freshwater clams. I've also gotten mixed results from livestock there, but more favorable then anywhere else, in my experience.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
Ahkuma
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

What's a dripper?
Ahkuma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #9
Gill Man
Algae Grower

Cutting the top off a 1L plastic bottle, Justin pierces the bottom with a thingamajig, and inserts some rigid tubing with an adjustable plastic valve you turn to an appropriate drip rate. It is used to drip aquarium water into the bag-o-fish while it's floating in the tank. It's a slower but milder method to equilibrate his water with yours. Drip rate depends on how sensitive a species might be to changes in pH, for instance, or how different your water parameters are to his. It's easier on the fish/shrimp.

He does it for no charge, at least for me he didn't charge. Shows how much he still loves the hobby and appreciates his customers. Try to get this kind of service and commitment from any other LFS.

Sometimes it's in our best interest to not always shop for the cheapest prices, but to keep places like these in business. Overhead in SFO is not cheap.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
yznj99
Planted Member

I just got a pair of apistogramma bitaeniata from him too, he has several tanks of dwarf cichilids and apparently they are not selling well. His price is quite decent, more expensive than petsmart or petco but cheaper than most LFS, I live in San Mateo county and I found my two local LFS charge way too much for poor quality fish.
yznj99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

His prices are very fair and the quality of the fish is pretty high. Some of them are even tank bred in the store. Last time that I was there, I almost picked up a Nanochromis "Zaire red". Definitely check it out next time you guys are there. It was in the tank up front w/the wild heckels. One of the harder to find species, that looks awesome.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2005, 07:09 AM   #12
Gill Man
Algae Grower

I bought some of this dwarf cichlids, aequidens curviceps, a while back for $5 ea. Still doing fine in my 125, and they are gorgeous! I think I might have to get some more as well as some of this zebra otocinclus.

He should really have a website, with a species list at least. I think I'll mention it to him.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:26 AM   #13
item1702
Algae Grower

One of those apistos I bought just died. I only wanted to buy one but he suggested that I get two. The male had been harassing the female and I guess it just ended up getting too stressed out. Even though I?fll probably buy another female from him later on.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #14
yznj99
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by item1702
One of those apistos I bought just died. I only wanted to buy one but he suggested that I get two. The male had been harassing the female and I guess it just ended up getting too stressed out. Even though I?fll probably buy another female from him later on.
What? My female hasn't eaten for 10 days, I am really worried
yznj99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #15
item1702
Algae Grower

That doesn't sound good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.