My small Walstad bowl for the office
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

My small Walstad bowl for the office

So I really fell in love with the Walstad bowls here and decided I needed one at my desk. I went to Michaels and bought a small bowl and a wood "plaque" for the base. I already had the light from ikea and the plants came from my 55 gal. The assembly was actually very easy, but I would stress that when putting the sand in, dry is way better for capping the potting soil because wet sand is so heavy the dirt gets tougher to cover effectively without squishing out from under the sand. I need to decide on a few more plants, right now I have jungle Val and purple Cambomba. Eventually if the bowl fills out, a shrimp might go in to provide some movement, it's a small bowl, less than a gallon so i need some advice on if even one shrimp would be too much...

And the pics
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I really like that light, I have a bowl I just started myself. Is that a current IKEA product?
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Never mind, just went to the IKEA site found one I like. BTW - The plaque works well with your light.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

how much less than 1 gal is this?
looks great, and clean. you can probably get a male and female cherry shrimp in there and see where that takes you...

also depending on the water pH and hardness and all that, you can later try some smaller species of shrimp. idk whats smaller than cherry shrimp but im sure there is something.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the compliments, eventually it will be a plant soup. The ikea light is about 6 years old, but they have so many kinds that it's pretty easy to customize a look.

Well, doing some internet math I calculated that if it was an entire sphere it would be 1.39 gal, so with the bottom and top not being in the water column, I estimate around .9 gal which is 2/3 of the entire sphere. I am pretty confident its just under a gallon, so I feel a little better about potential livestock. Maybe a female and male cherry would work here. The normal pH is 7.3 with a hardness of around 3. I will check specifics later.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
LucyLoofa
Algae Grower

Very nice! I can't wait to see the progress on this bowl!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

First, O-H! Second, thanks for providing the inspiration for my next obsession. Great job on the bowl.

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Alyssa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

OMG! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee this! <3 I want like SIX for my office! <3

SAPS | sfbaaps | SAS
My Tank(s) Blog
| TPT Clubs: RAOK Club #7 | Fraternity of Dirt #62 | ADA Club #2 |
Alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Went to the LFS today and picked up 3 cherry shrimp, 2 females that are both berried and one male. I got a third because I have never dealt with shrimp this small and I was worried at least one might die... All three are doing good, I will most likely haul the extra one, or more depending on the eggs and move them to my 3.5 gallon betta planted, and from there the 55 gallon if I get enough... Right now, we will see how the three cherries work out, and which female gets to stay with the male in the bowl.

I also picked up a hygrophilia kompact which I was able to split in two for the bowl... Up to 3 species of flora now.

Oh, and I-O
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

You would not believe the amount of shrimp you will have in a few months time. I went from having a dozen from a few kind members who threw in shrimplets in some of my plant orders to today having so many I don't know where to keep them all. This all in a mater of 6 months. I have noticed it is nearly impossible to kill them too unless you doing something truely extreme
Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I do have several places to put them so we will see how it goes, finished the stand tonight, plaque staind and put back together... Basically screwed the light back on... It made a big difference, also took some pics of the CRS

Clearer male

Berried female

FTS

Left side
Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Just for clarification the abbreviation is RCS - Red Cherry Shrimp.

CRS is for Crystal Red Shrimp.

Annoying and confusing I know. The only reason I point it out is that if you are asking for advice or information on keeping them it WILL make a difference which type you are keeping. People have had great success keeping Red Cherry Shrimp in these types of bowls and getting them to thrive (breed and maintain good health). With Crystal Red Shrimp things seem to be more difficult/high maintaince according to the reports that people have made here who attempted it.

The combination of low waste production and very minimal oxygen requirements (along with general hardiness) allow the Red Cherry Shrimp to thrive in these bowls with very little effort even when not using any sort of filter, aeration or heater. Other stocking options (Crystal Red Shrimp, nano-fish) seem to really push the limits of what these bowls can 'naturally' filter and balance and might require mechanical assistance (filters, etc.).

Red Cherry Shrimp like you have will be fine in the bowl as long as you have enough plant matter in there to soak up the small amount of waste that they produce. If you feed the shrimp that will actually have more of an impact upon water quality than the entire shrimp population most likely so just be careful to use very small portions if you feed them (and skipping days might not be a horrible idea if you only have three shrimp). I don't know what the ratio is but they seem to consume WAY less food than even the smallest fish.

With established plants (and especially if you have rock or wood in there that develops bio-film and/or algae the shrimp will actually be able to forage for most of their food.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Can you help me find that light at Ikea? It looks perfect but I couldn't find it.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Madness, thank you SO much for the response, that helps a ton and may save me from a mistake down the road... Yeah, I knew I had cherries, but the abbreviation caught me there, thanks for clarifying.

As far as my light, I have had it for at least 6-8 years, the closest I could find was this one, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10143485/ but a search for "picture light" on google would probably turn up the best results.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
LucyLoofa
Algae Grower

That plaque looks so lovely stained that cherry red. <3
This bowl looks wonderful I am so excited to see progress! I hope to have one for myself at my computer desk at some point.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote