cloudy water frustrations
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
FromLaredo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

cloudy water frustrations

Hi All
I am looking for some help to determine why my tank continues to get cloudy.
The tank has been running for over 2 years, with almost no issues, it is a highlight, pressurized CO2 and well filtered with allot of plants (46 gallon)
In the past if i got cloudy water i would do a few extra water changes and maybe run the diatom filter and the problem would be solved. Lately the problem is recurring but if left alone, the water becomes green. I am frustrated and not sure what to do. My nitrate levels are low so i have been feeding more to try and raise them.. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. thank you
FromLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)

Could be a number of things, but if the water is turning green if left alone, then that's an algae problem (green water).

I would try a complete blackout. Turn off the lights & cover the entire tank with thick blankets so no light can get through, and leave it like this for ~3 days. Don't feed the fish or remove any of the blankets, just leave it alone. This will starve the algae of light and should kill it. After that, I would do a water change to remove a lot of the now dead algae cells, as they may cause an ammonia spike.
My shrimp dance about and zoom all over the tank. Then their skins fall off!
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
FromLaredo
Algae Grower

right now there is no green water, it jut started to get cloudy (white tint) again, if i leave it alone it will become green so at this point i dont want to do a black out because of the plants. i really want to figure out what is causing this since it keeps repeating.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
FromLaredo
Algae Grower

just a thought for anyone reading, could it possible be the root tabs i put in about two weeks ago? they are the "total" formula from aquariumplants.com
Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Maybe review your fertilizing method. Perhaps something or another is low and with the plants not at their best the algae is taking advantage? I don't know why but my tank does better if I use GH booster even though my water isn't all that soft and I do large weekly water changes. Rinsing out all the sponges and vacuuming helps too.

Blackouts can be hard on some plants, myrio gets really sad. I let floaters build up and they will shade the tank enough to out compete GW. Or you can temporarily shade the tank with window screen material.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
FromLaredo
Algae Grower

what should my GH be at?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Mine seems plenty high at about 7GH but calcium=28, potassium=3 and magnesium=12 ppm in the tap water and apparently it isn't enough for the bright, CO2 enriched tank unless I dose GH booster as well as NPK+micros.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #8
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Your problem is the root tabs if they contain nitrate/a nitrate source which is usually a form of ammonia. GW is cause by an ammonia spike. When the ammonia spikes you get a large spike in bacteria that eat the algae then this algae becomes photosynthetic which result in it turning green. IME the only thing that would get rid of GW was a UV sterilizer. I tried blackouts for as long as my plants could take it and they never id anything helpful.

If the root tabs do not have a nitrogen source then they are not the cause of the GW. But maybe when you put he tabs in the substrate you stirred up a bunch of organics that produced an ammonia spike which again, caused a GW outbreak.

If that wasn't it then perhaps you had a fish or something die and end up in an area that made it unnoticeable.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote