105g Craigslist find! 11-26 Video of baby Guppies, 11-26 updates!! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #46
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Ok, I made this mock up of a sump screen that you could build as a straight piece and then cut and bend to fit over the sump, let me know what you think.

From the top side, but if it were just a couple inches tall it would work fine and should keep any debris from going into the sump.

150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #47
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

The screen looks awesome and I think it would work out great. What would it be made out of, stainless steel mesh?
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #48
Coursair
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your Silver Dollar Tetras are more commonly known as Black Skirt Tetras in my area, Latin name Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. They'd prefer some more of their own kind when you get a chance.

Keep an eye on your Kissing Gouramis. They get big and can get aggressive.

I found this info online :
The Kissing Gourami can reach a length of 30 centimetres (12 inches) and will naturally need a big aquarium. Keep in mind that the little Kissing gourami offered by the pet store can quickly outgrow a small aquarium.

Try to mimic the slow-moving, densely grown Kissing Gourami habitat in Asia when you set up the aquarium and include a lot of plants. Always use sturdy and fast growing plants in the Kissing gourami aquarium, since sensitive plants will not tolerate being grazed by the fish. Java fern and Java moss is recommended.

Kissing gouramis can be fond of digging and this is naturally a problem since they should be kept in planted aquariums. You can prevent digging by using gravel and stones with a large diameter as aquarium substrate. This will also provide algae with plenty of surface area to grow on.
>>>>>>
so yours may become an issue for a planted tank.

Other Gouramis are plant safe. But Gouramis, like their cousin the Betta, may not like each other. Lucky you have such a large tank it will help keep aggression much lower in general.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #49
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
The screen looks awesome and I think it would work out great. What would it be made out of, stainless steel mesh?
I guess you could use anything that doesn't react with water, stainless, aluminum, etc., the hardest part would be getting nice looking bends without a brake (used to bend sheet metal) you could use a stiff straight edge, good luck.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Your Silver Dollar Tetras are more commonly known as Black Skirt Tetras in my area, Latin name Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. They'd prefer some more of their own kind when you get a chance.
Yeah, I was made aware of that in a later post, but forgot to go and change it in my original post. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Keep an eye on your Kissing Gouramis. They get big and can get aggressive.

I found this info online :
The Kissing Gourami can reach a length of 30 centimetres (12 inches) and will naturally need a big aquarium. Keep in mind that the little Kissing gourami offered by the pet store can quickly outgrow a small aquarium.

Try to mimic the slow-moving, densely grown Kissing Gourami habitat in Asia when you set up the aquarium and include a lot of plants. Always use sturdy and fast growing plants in the Kissing gourami aquarium, since sensitive plants will not tolerate being grazed by the fish. Java fern and Java moss is recommended.

Kissing gouramis can be fond of digging and this is naturally a problem since they should be kept in planted aquariums. You can prevent digging by using gravel and stones with a large diameter as aquarium substrate. This will also provide algae with plenty of surface area to grow on.
>>>>>>
so yours may become an issue for a planted tank.

Other Gouramis are plant safe. But Gouramis, like their cousin the Betta, may not like each other. Lucky you have such a large tank it will help keep aggression much lower in general.
Thanks for the info, I tried to accomodate the needs of all my fish when setting up this tank. I guess we will see in the long run how well I did, but I am pretty sure I gave everything I could to them. I also try to feed the tank enough so that they don't get the urge to fight for anything. Like everything else though, only time will tell on how good of a job I've been doing.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #51
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
Yeah, I was made aware of that in a later post, but forgot to go and change it in my original post. Thank you.

Thanks for the info, I tried to accomodate the needs of all my fish when setting up this tank. I guess we will see in the long run how well I did, but I am pretty sure I gave everything I could to them. I also try to feed the tank enough so that they don't get the urge to fight for anything. Like everything else though, only time will tell on how good of a job I've been doing.
once the kissers are big enough it won't be a matter of hunger, they'll do it cause your other fish fit in the mouths, is your betta still in there? is he okay with the gouramis?
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #52
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
once the kissers are big enough it won't be a matter of hunger, they'll do it cause your other fish fit in the mouths, is your betta still in there? is he okay with the gouramis?
Oh yeah, the Bettas great and has even been staying out with all the rest of the other fish until it feels like lying amongst the roots of my floaters and taking a rest. Then it'll just lay there and watch all the rest of the fish do their thing.

I hope the Gouramis dont start eating my fish, they are supposed to be the more peaceful of them. All I can do is hope and watch I guess, but thanks for the advice.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #53
Planted Tank Enthusiast

150, I kind of combined your design and ideas with Kathy's, and this was what I decided on making, mainly because I already had all the stuff I needed to make it:

And here it is installed:

It is a definite improvement over what I was using. As it is, this has my screen about an eigth of an inch off the overflow box. I need to do a little more tweaking, but I hope to have it keep the screen a half inch off. Right now, after having to sew the screen to the hanger and shape it, it works better then it has so I decided I would wait till tomorrow to adjust it more. Thanks for all your help. Without you and Kathy I would still be having to scrape the screen every couple hours.

I did get a video of my tank in action. Too tired right now to post it, but I will get it on tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #54
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good from here and if it works better what more can you ask for?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #55
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Looks nice and clean. Good job.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #56
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Looks good from here and if it works better what more can you ask for?
It works great, in my opinion. After I bowed the front "poles" out to hold the screen out further, and adjusted the "clips" in the back to secure it as opposed to it just laying on the top, it is a 200% improvement. It was nice to not wake up to the sound of my pump sucking air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Looks nice and clean. Good job.
Thanks, it would have been nice to have had a black or grey colored frame, but I worked with what I had. I also had yellow and blue-coated, but thought the green would blend in better once the Vals grow up to it and the floaters started resting against it.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #57
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I FINALLY uploaded a video

Last edited by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com; 10-23-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #58
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been doing LOTS to the tank every day, including planting/replanting and switching out some rocks and things, so I figured I would post an updated FTS.

More plants going in, look pretty bad now but should perk up nicely:

My new floaters, with some AWESOME little purple cauliflower-looking things, as well as an exceedingly rarer Asian Watergrass. The reason I did the DIY overflow screen.

They look great inside the tank as well:

I think I'm going to get a bag of black gravel later today. There is just too much tan in this tank, IMO.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #59
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I went out and payed $30 for a new bulb to replace the one that blew the second I hooked it up. Put it in, and nothing. So I switched my good working bulb for the new one, and light. Evidently, when the bulb blew, there was more to it then just a weak bulb. It was my ballast, or whatever it is on metal halide fixtures I ended up disconnecting it and put in a temporary CFL, until I go back to Lowes. Probably be tomorrow, so if anyone can give me any suggestions on what I should buy it would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I still have 1- 175w x 10,000k halide, and the 2 blue actinics. I still have plenty of room to do something on the other side with, just dont know what yet. I have some Microsword on the way for that side of the tank, so I will definitely need a light over there soon. I am just not going to spend the $ to fix the metal halide fixture, especially seeing that I have been told they were too much light for my tank.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #60
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I set up a grow-tub for my Apple Snails I needed to grow them larger so my fish wouldn't eat them, so I made a growout-tub out of an old butter bowl. I just put a layer of gravel in the bottom of the bowl, filled half way with tank water, and floated my egg sacs in that. To get them to float, I just made a little boat out of a piece of styrofoam, sat the eggs on that, and sat that into the water. Now the babies have a safe place to go as to avoid being eaten. As long as there are holes in the lid, and you change the water every day, this should work out really well. I know I'm seeing about 20 or 30 babies skating around the bottom of the bowl.

Tags
105, diy, metal halide, overflow, sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.