105g Craigslist find! 11-26 Video of baby Guppies, 11-26 updates!! - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 AM   #166
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
Good to know they should be fine. I do have one of those bulbs, but I would need to find an old lamp to get a socket from to be able to use it. Don't really have any extra $ due to having 4 kids to buy Christmas for, so won't be buying anything till after the Holiday. That is why I planned on doing like, 2 wc's a day using the heated water out of the main tank. I figured I could do one in the morning and another at night and I would be ok until I can get another heater and thermo. The light I will probably just DIY it.
If you have a desk lamp sitting around with a screw type socket, you can use that for a little bit of light. That may work. I think the fluctuations will be too drastic though. You may be better off letting them chill in the cooler water until after the holidays.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #167
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
If you have a desk lamp sitting around with a screw type socket, you can use that for a little bit of light. That may work. I think the fluctuations will be too drastic though. You may be better off letting them chill in the cooler water until after the holidays.
For now I am just using the light under the tank. It is pretty cool, with 2 light settings and puts off quite a bit of heat. I will probably get the hood for this and put a couple CFL's in it for now. I need a hood anyway, cuz my cats can, and do, get under there. Alot of the time they sleep under there Afraid they would get an awfully expensive treat. For now I just have styrofoam over it.

You really think there would be that much of a difference in the temps of the water? With the light left on it reaches near 90 under there, I bet. Maybe it'll stay warm enough that I won't have to worry about it? I need a friggin thermo Maybe tomorrow. There is one of them stick-on's on one of the other tanks I haven't picked up yet. Them never last long around here though, the kids love their stickers
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #168
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
For now I am just using the light under the tank. It is pretty cool, with 2 light settings and puts off quite a bit of heat. I will probably get the hood for this and put a couple CFL's in it for now. I need a hood anyway, cuz my cats can, and do, get under there. Alot of the time they sleep under there Afraid they would get an awfully expensive treat. For now I just have styrofoam over it.

You really think there would be that much of a difference in the temps of the water? With the light left on it reaches near 90 under there, I bet. Maybe it'll stay warm enough that I won't have to worry about it? I need a friggin thermo Maybe tomorrow. There is one of them stick-on's on one of the other tanks I haven't picked up yet. Them never last long around here though, the kids love their stickers
Lol. Cats. Why does everyone who has fish also have cats? Seems like an epidemic. That is why I have all my tanks securely covered now. Stupid cats like to drink from the tanks.

Now that you tell me it is usually warm under there, I am doubting you will need a heater. When I had the 20 gallon on the floor, it was usually 68 - 70 degrees while the shrimp tank on the shelf above it was 75 degrees. I am sure you will know more once you get the thermo thought.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #169
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Lol. Cats. Why does everyone who has fish also have cats? Seems like an epidemic. That is why I have all my tanks securely covered now. Stupid cats like to drink from the tanks.
I've noticed that also. I was going to take a pic of the two for you, but haven't gotten the camera back out yet. I might do that tonight, I have 2 really pretty cats, IMO.

Quote:
Now that you tell me it is usually warm under there, I am doubting you will need a heater. When I had the 20 gallon on the floor, it was usually 68 - 70 degrees while the shrimp tank on the shelf above it was 75 degrees. I am sure you will know more once you get the thermo thought.
Yeah, not sure what kind of light that is under the cabinet, but it does get pretty hot and is nice because it has a bright setting and a dim setting. I have just been keeping it on dim for the majority of the time, but switch it to bright for feeding and things.

Which brings me to my next question. Since I moved the two Angels they seem as though they are not eating much, if anything at all. They appear healthy and swim around and stuff, I just have not seen them eat since they've been in there. I know they say not to feed your fish for 24-48hrs after you put them in your tank, and they probably wouldn't eat if you affered it, but could this be true with moving them as well? I put food in there today, just incase they do eat when I'm not looking, but just haven't seen them eating. If this is often the case, how long might it last? I have heard they can go weeks or something without eating, so I'm not concerned about them starving to death yet. Just wanted to check on it and see what others had to say.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #170
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got another blue cray yesterday. I thought they were electric blues, but found out yesterday that is not the case. They are actually the self-cloning crays. The person I got it from on a trade was the same person I got the last one from, and was the only one they had left which takes away the electric blue title. Those need a mate to breed, and there was none in that tank, just the one. Well, while I was there I was looking at the cray, and the daggone thing had eggs under the tail! The girl wasn't happy that she was getting rid of it, but I assured her I would raise them and give her some of them. Can't believe she loaded that thing up and didn't realize there were eggs under there It was a very good deal for me, indeed.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #171
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Hm... if they're self cloning they need to breed? I thought those produce by themselves. But they are a nice blue color? Any pictures ?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #172
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Hm... if they're self cloning they need to breed? I thought those produce by themselves. But they are a nice blue color? Any pictures ?
Yes, they are self-cloning and do not need to breed. I got 1 off of her before under the impression that it was an electric blue cray, but turns out it's a self-cloning cray due to the fact that it was in a tank by herself with NO possibility of breeding with anything else.

I did not get any pics, but wish I had before I put her into the tank. She has dug a VERY large hole in my substrate between a rock and my wood, and will rarely be seen until the babies are mostly on their own. Yes, they are a nice blue color, and will likely blue up even more than she is now with age. The good thing is that the offspring will be exactly like mom and will be a nice blue color as well. I will get some pics the first chance I get.

Since I put her in she has been building a den and hiding, so I have not got any pics of her in my tank yet, but I have some from where she came from taken the day before I got her.

Last edited by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com; 12-18-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #173
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had to perform an emergency c-section on my very pregnant Guppy last night. She looked like she was herniated from being so big. I waited until she wasn't wiggling anymore, and tried to save the babies she had in her. Sadly, none of the babies survived, they weren't even formed all the way for some reason. Maybe she just had too many in there, IDK. It sucked cuz that was the last female I had that was ready to breed. I do have some of the babies left, but they wont be having any babies soon.

On a lighter note, my spawning Angels are seperated in their own tank, and I have some Zebra Danios seperated, so will hopefully be getting some babies from them soon. I got to clean out another tank, but soon I'll be able to seperate some Tiger Barbs and hopefully start breeding them too.

Also have some Apons that is sending off shoots of baby plants. Soon, my tank will be overrun with them, so it's about time to start getting rid of some of them. I already see some more that are getting ready to start sending shoots.

I am finally starting to filter out my abundance of Apple's, I had WAY too many I had around 250 or more, and I think I'm down to about 100. Most of what I have I am keeping to breed, especially the purple and pink ones which are my favorite. I am keeping all whites in my main tank, but the others will go into other tanks to breed as I get the tanks ready. Other than that, not much else is happening right now. Still haven't seen the cray for a few days, but I figured I wouldn't. Hopefully I start seeing babies soon.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #174
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Oh jesus. Emergency C-section on a guppy? Did you just take a knife to her? I wouldn't even know where to cut into her without damaging the babies.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #175
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Oh jesus. Emergency C-section on a guppy? Did you just take a knife to her? I wouldn't even know where to cut into her without damaging the babies.
I know, it wasn't something I preferred to do, but it had to be done. It just sucked that I didn't even get the chance to save one of them I just used a razor blade. I flipped her upside down, then I started at her anus and cut straight up her belly until the sac came out. Then I grabbed a piece of the sac and rolled it between my fingers, which helped to release the babies.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #176
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry to hear about the guppy man. You will be surprised at how quickly the others will reach sexual maturity.

Cable's Madness
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #177
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the guppy man. You will be surprised at how quickly the others will reach sexual maturity.
Thanks, buddy, I appreciate that. I hope they reach maturity soon, there are people that want them. I think I will have about 5 males and 4 or 5 females when they do, so they hopefully will start upping my population of Guppies in the tank.

I finally seen my cray last night. It made a huge den in the gravel under a rock, and with babies, she hasn't come out where I could see her since she went in. Well, my lights went out last night, but the bottom light isn't on a timer so it stayed on. When I walked by the tank I noticed a spot of light could be seen through the tank. I got to looking down there, and I could see the cray down there with babies attached to her tail Definitely made me happy.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #178
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

Watch out in your angel breeder.

Eggs=Meals for snails.

Just a thought,

-Gordon
gordonrichards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #179
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
Watch out in your angel breeder.

Eggs=Meals for snails.

Just a thought,

-Gordon
You know, I never thought of that, thanks Gordon. That's why I love this site and will be working on the gold membership after the first of the year This site is the best of it's kind that I've found, so I have to do it. I guess I need to set up another tank. I just put a Tiger Barb in the breeder net, so will need one anyway.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #180
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks, buddy, I appreciate that. I hope they reach maturity soon, there are people that want them. I think I will have about 5 males and 4 or 5 females when they do, so they hopefully will start upping my population of Guppies in the tank.

I finally seen my cray last night. It made a huge den in the gravel under a rock, and with babies, she hasn't come out where I could see her since she went in. Well, my lights went out last night, but the bottom light isn't on a timer so it stayed on. When I walked by the tank I noticed a spot of light could be seen through the tank. I got to looking down there, and I could see the cray down there with babies attached to her tail Definitely made me happy.
Do you know what kind of guppies they are? Once you see the gravid spot on the females they are ready to go. Usually only a couple of months.

Cable's Madness

Tags
105, diy, metal halide, overflow, sump