My new 4 gallon betta bowl.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

My new 4 gallon betta bowl.

I'm much better at the whole fish bowl thing than the whole tank thing... So I was secretly excited about my last one breaking. My family broke it while doing dishes.. and neglected to notice that my betta ghastly had found his way to the drain. He will be greatly missed.
But now theres a new aquascape to be made. Well in fact its already done. I just re-used the plants I had in the old one and added in some Dwarf Hairgrass(?) I got at petsmart. I also got a nifty new bowl at Homegoods... Its a 5 gallon fish bowl on a stem, with ornate lid. I think its some apothecary jar. I haven't gotten a picture yet, or a new betta, But plan on uploading some soon. For now I'm just gonna list the specs. Not that there are many.
Tank - 5 gallon vase from HomeGoods (with everything in it about 4 gallons)
Substrate - CaribSea Moonlight Sand
Filter- none
Heating - heat from hot water pipe running below keeps it at about 78
Fertz - none
CO2 - none
Stone - stone found in a pile in my front yard (tested it first), and another stone that was pretty, in my yard, and not tested (aren't I daring?)
Lighting - Natural. It gets whatever the sun gives it. About 4 hours of direct light.
Flora - Water Shamrock, Red Stemmed Parrots Feather, Parrots Feather, Rotala Indica, Corkscrew Val, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Water Hyacinth, Greater Duckweed, Dwarf Hairgrass (im suspecting its actually something else, perhaps shoreweed)
Fauna - 5 Ghost Shrimp, 1 zebra nerite, 1 halfmoon betta

I'm considering adding in some Cryptocoryne Parva as well. I'm going out in search of a betta tomorrow... Will also take pics with my bad cell camera and upload them. Looks super scraggly right now...

Last edited by Eldachleich; 11-27-2011 at 01:09 PM..
Eldachleich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

You might want to wait on the Betta until the plants grow in a bit in order to create hiding spaces, or all the shrimp might get eaten right away.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Lol.. I got the comment a bit too late.. The plants are a fairly decent size to be honest... It just looked much more lush in the smaller bowl. The shrimp do have lots of places to hide. And so far my new betta has no interest in them at all... They just scared him away form his food... Who knows though.. I might wake up to a veyr fat happy betta one day.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, update so we know how well it goes. Good luck to your shrimpies!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Well so far so Good... I'm going to try and capture some photos... its raining and all I have is my cellphone so we'll will see how it comes out..
My new betta hasn't taken to his food yet, but normally they take at least a week for me. The plants are a bit scraggly but overall I think I'm really going to like it once it fills in. I might have more species in there than I want though.. The point of this was a more out of control feeling though. I like to keep my betta's entertained. thinking of starting up a small shrimp tank... for either yellows or painted fire reds... If he fairs well with the ghost shrimp I might drop a couple offspring in there and see if he leaves them alone.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know what shrimp I think are really cool? Orange Bees. Their coloring is really neat.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

My new kitten had an accident, and got his paw stuck on the curtain. Causing it to twist behind him while he fell.. He went to the vet and hes fine, but I didnt get pictures in time.
I havent ever heard of orange bee shrimp... I;m new to the world of shrimp and havent ventured very far..
Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Those are awesome... But I dont think they will survive my water during the summer. My tanks have reached 96 before and usually stay in the 80 - 85 degree range on a daily basis.. Thats why I stick with things like cherries...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, poor kitty! My cousin's cat kept getting her claws stuck in her collar when they first got her. Now she's full grown and wrestling with their 2 dogs. I just started looking at the different kinds of shrimp, but I will start out with RCS if I decide to get some.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

I really like alot of the nicer shrimp out there.. But i just gets waaay too hot for them where I live... Thats why I'm happy RCS also come in yellow white and blue.. I even have a couple colonies going that turned out black brown and orange...
Lol... poor kitty... The problem with Toki is that he is waaaay to smart for his own good.. hes only 9 weeks old and hes already figured out how to turn doorhandles and operate my room heater/fan.
As promised... really bad cell pics of my new bowl...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1007111400.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	35807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1007111400b.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	35808  

Attached Images

Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

It looks a heck of alot better in person... and you can't see my betta's pretty grey and black tips on his fins...
Expect to hear alot about algae problems in the next couple months.. it always takes me a while before the tank gets balanced... Right now I;m dealing with some sort of threadlike algae that nearly impossible to kill off...
The main point of this tank is to eventually have a system that runs on its own... the only thing i want to do in the future is add some water and feed my betta... I had it like that with the last one.. actually It had just balanced itself out and achieved lush amazing growth about 2 weeks before they broke it. I'll be sure to post pictures once the background fills in. I think the way the rotala fades into the parrots feather which mixes with the vals is really nice. I like how the water shamrock sticks off the the side and I'm really excited to see the hairgrass fill in the front... heck even the back... I want all the sand covered in the tank.
I'm also really happy with this water hyacinth... Its doing really well, but its still stunted. I loved the look of them, especially the roots, my betta loves hanging out on them. And Its helps suck up alot of algae. The flowers are beautiful too.The main problem is that the roots are always at least half a foot long. I found this one hanging out in a shallow dish with a bromeliad. It was stunted, with roots maybe 4 inches long, and leaves only 5 inches across. I bought it and have had it for at least a year and a half. Its roots and leaves never grow past that point, so I think the stunting might be permanent. Which is good for me becuase its always the perfect size for these bowls and vases..
Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
mjbubbles
Algae Grower

That's lovely! How long do you think it will take to stabilize?
mj
mjbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #13
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's very pretty!
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #14
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Thank you!!
Umm.... normally its just the sun that causes alot of problems for me... So by the time everything is figured out... 2 or 3 months probably... I once had one that balanced after a month... Im sure a more experienced person would have it figured out right away lol...
Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #15
CleverBs
Algae Grower

I enjoy the way the tank looks very much. I may have to try one of these out.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.