Shrimp around the bay - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 03-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #16
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Sure. They get cherries in really readily and same applies for their amanos. They also have access to bumblebees, but I believe you'll have to talk Aaron into ordering them, since it's not a regularly stocked invert. Have yet to see a crystal red in his store, so I don't think he gets those in.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #17
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eric, the crystal red breeders on aquabid is in southern cal. Does Octopus garden get bumblebees or bee shrimps? They are different. Crystal reds are bred from bee shrimps. Bee shrimp starts with a white tip on the head.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #18
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Haven't seen bee shrimps there before. I did see some bumblebees at the same time when I bought my cherry reds. That's been awhile however, so I'm not sure if he stocks them regularly. Give them a call and see if it's possible.

BTW, thanks for the correction.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #19
item1702
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info, Ibn. I saw that bid for the crystal reds on Aquabid. The starting bid price was $70 and add on top of that about $20 for shipping... That's around $90 for 10 shrimp. A little too much for me.
item1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:10 AM   #20
Samosette
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default In case someone is interested.

I talked to the guy at petacular exotics and they will start carrying shrimps on a regular basis. They just got some in and their employees bought them all. The rate will be like Cherrys for 5, Bumble bee's for 2.50, Vampires for 18.00 bucks, ouch but i've never seen one. Singapores for 10.00. There were like two other kinds he will be offering but I forgot. He said since they are limited on tank space, and they are if you ever been there. But anyways, he said he would discout 1/3 of the price off for advance/bulk orders if we pick them up when they come in because of space. I would like to get some bumble bee's and cherry's. Would like to get some crystals too but i dont think they have those. Anyone interested?
Samosette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
item1702
Algae Grower

I'ld be interested in getting more bumblebees. I got another friend who would probably like to go in on this deal as well.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #22
gnome
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by item1702
Well I just stopped over at The Octopus's Garden in Berkeley. They had some bumblebee shrimp and rainbows until I bought them all.
Oooo!!! That was YOU?!?! Last Wednesday, right?!!! I called them that morning and asked if they had any cool shrimp come in on Tuesday. Erin said he got something labelled as "bumblebee shrimp," and wasn't sure if they were. So I said I'd be in that afternoon. But when I got there, they said a guy came in thirty minutes earlier and bought out ALL of these shrimp. BOY, was I seething!!! That was YOU?!?! All the way from Hercules, and NOTHIN'! LOL. Just kidding. I had to pick up some plants from Albany, anyway. But yeah - boy, was I disappointed when I got to OG.

Hey - leave some for me, next time. I actually got their last two tiger shrimp (from a display tank, even) the weekend before. One of them is still alive, but the smaller one I haven't seen in a couple of days so I'm not sure if it's hiding or became scampi.

I HAVE seen crystal reds there. I even bought some for the price of bumble bees because they were labelled as such. But normally, I think they're MUCH more expensive. They were gorgeous, too - very broad white bands and looked just like red bumble bee shrimp. This was maybe over a year ago, though. I haven't seen them since. They get all sorts of neato shrimp. About a year ago, they were getting blue shrimp, green midgets, tiger shrimp, bumble bees, rainbows, and what they label as "algae-eating shrimp" is actually a combination of Amano shrimp and Malayans. You have to be able to tell them apart. I even found one in that container that has yet to be identified by anybody in the field. I bought it along with the tiger shrimp. They had pearl shrimp (a burrowing Macrobrachium species), cherry reds, Rudolph red-nosed shrimp, Singapore shrimp, red spotted shrimp, and I'm sure I've missed a bunch. Some of these were mis-identified, and most of them I haven't seen in a long time.

You can always call and ask if they can order stuff for you. They get like two shipments every week (one on Tuesdays and one on Fridays, I think). No guarantee that they can get it, or even that their wholesalers won't send the wrong species labelled as the one you're looking for. But it's rare that a trip is entirely wasted. They have other cool stuff there all the time, and even if they don't, I enjoy chatting with those guys .

Remember - leave some for me!

-Naomi
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:48 AM   #23
item1702
Algae Grower

Sorry about that but you should be a little gald. All of them except for one died on me. I just don't get it. I put them in other established tanks that had shrimp in them, and they were the only ones to die. Most of them didn't look all that much like bumblebees either. They seemed to be more of a tiger shrimp hybrid.

If you are still looking to get some bb's or some other shrimp, me and Samosette are try to work out a deal to get shrimp at a discount price from petacular exotics. PM him if you are interested. He said he would be talking to the owner tomorrow.

Well thanks for the info. I didn't know they carry so many types of shrimp at the Octopus Garden.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:24 AM   #24
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

ohh if you guys do do a group buy on shrimp, I want to join also.
Can I? Can I? pleeaasseee....

hehehe
Old 03-15-2005, 02:33 AM   #25
gnome
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by item1702
Sorry about that but you should be a little gald. All of them except for one died on me. I just don't get it. I put them in other established tanks that had shrimp in them, and they were the only ones to die. Most of them didn't look all that much like bumblebees either. They seemed to be more of a tiger shrimp hybrid.
Oh, dear. That's not good. If these were indeed bumble bee shrimp, I don't know if I would have been interested, anyway. I can't keep them alive. But it sort of sounds like you got bee shrimp, not bumble bee shrimp. Did they kind of look like this:
http://www.petshrimp.com/beeshrimp.html ?
If it was, I managed to keep mine alive (also from OG) for a remarkably long time (for me, this means months instead of days or weeks). I don't know how much this would help, but I tend to acclimate my smaller shrimp very slowly - like I'll start the day I buy them, and not release them until well into the next day or the day after that. For the short-term, it seems to help, but I still cannot keep them alive for more than a few months. Amano shrimp, OTOH, seem to be extremely hardy and I have several that are years old.

Quote:
If you are still looking to get some bb's or some other shrimp, me and Samosette are try to work out a deal to get shrimp at a discount price from petacular exotics. PM him if you are interested. He said he would be talking to the owner tomorrow.
Thanks, but getting to Berkeley is trouble enough. I don't really drive. Aside from a few more tiger shrimp, I'm not really looking for anything else right now. I'll keep trying through OG. I appreciate the offer, though . Just so you know, bumblebees and crystal reds tend to be very delicate and need extremely clean conditions. Even then, sometimes they just die for no apparent reason.

Quote:
Well thanks for the info. I didn't know they carry so many types of shrimp at the Octopus Garden.
It's inconsistent, at best. Sometimes they get a bunch of neat shrimp in at once, other times it seems like they have months and months where they only have the "algae-eating shrimp." BTW, the survival rates on those Malayan shrimp have been really good for me. They're quite long-lived and color up beautifully. But the Amano shrimp cannot be beat for algae-eating.

Best of luck finding what you want. And no worries about bogarting the shrimp last week . Now, if they were tiger shrimp, well...

-Naomi
gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:46 AM   #26
fishwife
Planted Member

D'oh! I've been pestering him for months about more interesting shrimp! He keeps looking at me like I'm crazy.

Sorry to hear about the die-off. FWIW, I had the same experience with some limpets I bought recently.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #27
item1702
Algae Grower

They didnít quite look like the link you put up Naomi. Two of them that I thought were actually bumblebee shrimp did look pretty much like this. With the dark head.
http://www.petshrimp.com/bumblebeeshrimp.html

However the rest almost look like this
http://www.petshrimp.com/tigershrimp.html
But the stripes were brown and not so definite. They stripes were also mainly at the end of the body. They didnít have any thick dark bands either so I have idea what they actually were.

I put two of them in my take with some ghost shrimp. I heard that ghost shrimp are extremely delicate but none of my ghost shrimp have died. The rest I put in with some cherries. Iím not sure how hardy cherryís are but if they are anything like amanos I guess they will though just about anything.

Were did you get your limpets Robin? Was it the Octopus Garden as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome
I don't know how much this would help, but I tend to acclimate my smaller shrimp very slowly - like I'll start the day I buy them, and not release them until well into the next day or the day after that.
Oh and one more thing, Naomi, I thought my drip method for two hours was too long. LOL Thanks for the tip though.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #28
Gill Man
Algae Grower

Ocean Aquarium in the City has many kinds of shrimp, including lots and lots of bumblebee shrimp! Justin recently got them in. Get 'em while they're hot! They look good, too.

Nippon has a couple flower shrimp and one wierd-a** looking shrimp in a tank where all the cichlids are. Just one, had pincer-like appendages, not really claws, in the front and it was more stout than I've seen before. Not labeled and nobody to ask...I only saw one, though.
Gill Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #29
Veneer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Man
Ocean Aquarium in the City has many kinds of shrimp, including lots and lots of bumblebee shrimp! Justin recently got them in. Get 'em while they're hot! They look good, too.

Nippon has a couple flower shrimp and one wierd-a** looking shrimp in a tank where all the cichlids are. Just one, had pincer-like appendages, not really claws, in the front and it was more stout than I've seen before. Not labeled and nobody to ask...I only saw one, though.
That might have been an "African fan shrimp"/"vampire shrimp" (Atya gabonensis), a filter-feeder capable of attaining a length of six inches.
Veneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:13 PM   #30
Samosette
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default bees

Hey Item1705, I went to Petacular yesterday(tuesday) and they want a prepay before they will order them. So I ordered 10, and the total on that was $18.40, less than 2 bucks per shrimp, good deal i think. If i had the extra 20 bucks i would have spotted you for it but i didnt have it, I'm sorry. If you want I'll go down there next monday and put in and order and pay for it so you dont have to come down just to order it, but you gotta come pick em up cause i dont want to get stuck with another 10 BB's. I guess I'll know for sure If they are bb's or bee's when i get them. Only thing with this type of ordering, you have to pick them up when they come in and of course you dont have to pay for the dead ones(thought i mention that just in case). They'll give you 1/3 of the price if you order in bulk, bulk being 10 shrimps or more. They order somewhere out of hayward and their list comes in on monday to get ordered and the items and prices changes weekly But that can bee good, or bad i guess. They have chamelon shrimps on their list for 6 bucks, cherries for 6, singapores for 10, vampires for 18. ghost shrimps.. blahh... I told them if they ever come across crystal reds, Id be more than happy to take some off their hands, but they havent seen any. oh, and they had green shrimps too i think, but not sure how much they were.
I have a bunch of pregnant indian algae shrimps, and i can see a few babies running around which leads me to think i will have a big population of them soon(gotta find that bug too). When they get a bit bigger, I wouldnt mind giving 3-5 away to anyone who wants them and will give them a good home. And hopefully you can do the same oneday(lets help spred the shrimps!)
Samosette is offline   Reply With Quote