My 3 gallon JBJ picotope planted tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
monkeyroll10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have the bulb in a gooseneck clamp lamp that I have clamped on to the shelf above my desk. I find that the problem with the stock JBJ light is that if the water level is too high, the water will start to be pulled out by the annulus created between the glass and the plastic clamp due to capillary action.

For filtration, I'm using a AC 70 modified to reduce flow, I also have the heater in there. You can see how to modify the AC 70 on many nano reef forums.

I haven't seen the need to dose ferts yet, however I do dose flourish excel even though I have a diy CO2. The flourish will keep algae at bay.

When the algae was getting bad, I was dosing 2 mL/gallon for a week, then I stopped for a week, then all the algae died like magic, now I does 1 mL/gallon once every two days.

I feed the shrimp 2 Hikari crab suisine pellets once per day.

I top off every day with fresh water that was filtered with a Brita because evaporation is about 1/2" every day.

When I go away on weekends, I put saran wrap on the whole thing. It does wonders.

Good Luck, I love this little tank. Hope this info helps.
monkeyroll10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #17
Aldon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyroll10 View Post
I have the bulb in a gooseneck clamp lamp that I have clamped on to the shelf above my desk. I find that the problem with the stock JBJ light is that if the water level is too high, the water will start to be pulled out by the annulus created between the glass and the plastic clamp due to capillary action.

For filtration, I'm using a AC 70 modified to reduce flow, I also have the heater in there. You can see how to modify the AC 70 on many nano reef forums.

I haven't seen the need to dose ferts yet, however I do dose flourish excel even though I have a diy CO2. The flourish will keep algae at bay.

When the algae was getting bad, I was dosing 2 mL/gallon for a week, then I stopped for a week, then all the algae died like magic, now I does 1 mL/gallon once every two days.

I feed the shrimp 2 Hikari crab suisine pellets once per day.

I top off every day with fresh water that was filtered with a Brita because evaporation is about 1/2" every day.

When I go away on weekends, I put saran wrap on the whole thing. It does wonders.

Good Luck, I love this little tank. Hope this info helps.
Thanks ya this info does help :] do u think u could post a picture of the light?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
monkeyroll10
Algae Grower

here is a photo of the whole setup (INCLUDING THE LIGHT)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4848.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	39250  

Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #19
dwilli57

Default Pregnant RCS

Hey monkey, I have just noticed that one of my rcs females is pregnant, at least I think. I also have a jbj Pico but it's stock everything. Should I worry about the baby shrimp being sucked into the stock filter? If so do you have any advice to remedy that somewhat cheaply. (this is a new project I started with my friends unused pico so I dont wanna mod it a bunch). Any info would be great. Thanks! Dave
dwilli57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
monkeyroll10
Algae Grower

I would definitely recommend getting a fine-sponge pre-filter of some sort to prevent any of the little guys from getting sucked in. I bought a 3 pack of them on amazon for a few bucks and modified them to work for me. I have heard that other people have used panty-hose as a solution. Good Luck.

Tags
daphnia, nano tank, red cherry shrimp, refugium, startup