Fluval Flora Newbie
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
dazzab

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Flora Newbie

Hello Everybody!

Well cutting a long story short, after receiving scratched Flora and then getting a complimentary Ebi, I have 2 tanks.
I'd been deliberating what to do with my Flora whilst waiting for its arrival, ranging from making a habitat for reptile/amphibians to making a nano reef tank, much like the 100L setup I own already.

Other than my reef tank which I've had running for about 8 months now, I have had no experience in aquatics but I make up for that with enthusiasm.

So far my intentions are to cultivate a neat little planted tank with some livestock.

boxes side by side

No scratches! yay

Polystyrene rockwork removed

On the shelf with lamps from both kits attached. You can see the glass lid with the gaps round the edge here and hole in the middle

I also have a 2nd hand Fluval 205 external filter on its way to me and have purchased a glass drop checker, in line bubble counter and a CO2 diffuser. I'll also be looking at some cheapish lilly pipes as the external is missing its inlet/outlets.

If anyone has experience fixing up a 205 to some lilly pipes, then I'd be glad to hear about it.

The Flora comes with the Fluval CO2 20 kit, which I'm hoping will serve its purposes until I see how successful this little tank becomes, but Ideas on how to upgrade it would be great. A solenoid perhaps?

Any advice at all about anything would be thankfully received
dazzab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Danimals
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzab View Post
Hello Everybody!

Well cutting a long story short, after receiving scratched Flora and then getting a complimentary Ebi, I have 2 tanks.
I'd been deliberating what to do with my Flora whilst waiting for its arrival, ranging from making a habitat for reptile/amphibians to making a nano reef tank, much like the 100L setup I own already.

Other than my reef tank which I've had running for about 8 months now, I have had no experience in aquatics but I make up for that with enthusiasm.

So far my intentions are to cultivate a neat little planted tank with some livestock.

boxes side by side

No scratches! yay

Polystyrene rockwork removed

On the shelf with lamps from both kits attached. You can see the glass lid with the gaps round the edge here and hole in the middle

I also have a 2nd hand Fluval 205 external filter on its way to me and have purchased a glass drop checker, in line bubble counter and a CO2 diffuser. I'll also be looking at some cheapish lilly pipes as the external is missing its inlet/outlets.

If anyone has experience fixing up a 205 to some lilly pipes, then I'd be glad to hear about it.

The Flora comes with the Fluval CO2 20 kit, which I'm hoping will serve its purposes until I see how successful this little tank becomes, but Ideas on how to upgrade it would be great. A solenoid perhaps?

Any advice at all about anything would be thankfully received
You might have more luck asking in the equipment section about the lilly pipes and the Fluval 205. Let me know what you find out because I'm actually interested in doing that with my 105 as well!

As far as upgrading the Fluval C02 kit, I don't think you can modify it in any meaningful way and I've heard that they even us a custom threading on the C02 cartridges so you can't go pick up a box of 20 for $10 at Walmart.
Danimals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
dazzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimals View Post
You might have more luck asking in the equipment section about the lilly pipes and the Fluval 205. Let me know what you find out because I'm actually interested in doing that with my 105 as well!

As far as upgrading the Fluval C02 kit, I don't think you can modify it in any meaningful way and I've heard that they even us a custom threading on the C02 cartridges so you can't go pick up a box of 20 for $10 at Walmart.
Thanks Bud,

i think I'm going to stick with the Fluval CO2 kit until it runs out, then see where to go from there.

As for the liliy pipes I've taken the lunge and ordered a 13mm set. 16mm hose fits fine on the fluval 205 and my plan is to get a 16-12mm connector (eheim do one) and then use some 12mm pipe to reach the lily pipes.

So my next step is to get some aquascaping materials
I have a pack each of the Fluval shrimp and plant stratum, so will mix them and use this as my substrate, unless anyone has a better idea that is?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
dazzab

Done a doodle of the aquascape I've been pondering.

I'm going to go for a jungle look I think, using some stones and root as main features against a bank of the fluval substrate.

The planting style would be tall to the rear corner reducing in size toward the front, with ferns and mosses around the root and stones in the midground and a short carpet at the front.

I haven't a clue regarding plant species so helpful hints would be most welcome

Tags
205, ebi, flora, fluval

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.