Nano lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Agent69
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 314
Default

Nano lighting


What do you use to light up your nano aquarium? I have a 8 gallon planted tank and I have x2 12" original Fuge ray by finnex LEDs 7000k each and a 65k PC 13w stock light. Would both my LEDs and the PC fluorescent put me in a high tech setup or is that considered low to medium? My tank size is 8 gallons. Lights are approximately 12" from substrate level. I have pressurized co2 and pps pro ferts dosing. I have dwarf hairgrass and baby tears planted and I'm trying to get them to carpet. I don't have algae but I do get diatoms that form in the glass sometimes.

Last edited by Agent69; 03-08-2014 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Needed to be more specific
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
NanoDave's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 392
Default

I'm not a big light/par guy buy I'd say sounds like medium-high. As for your second question, recommend for a nano planted as in fish, plants, substrate, co2? Need to be a little more specific.
__________________
75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
dafil
Planted Member
 
dafil's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 194
Default

http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34...-E27-Base-.jpg

7x1w 60deg 6500K

air inch PAR
10 350
14 175
19.5 105
23.5 60
__________________
dafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
jamesyu
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 246
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu
Default

Wow 1 planted+ 20inch on my spec v is considered med to high... but two 12s on an 8.... is that too much? I think your 8 is an aqueon ehh?

Sent from my SM-N900P
Excuse the typos
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
jamesyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Agent69
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 314
Default



Here is a picture of the lighting currently on the tank. Some people say its too much light but then others say its sufficient to be called medium to high. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Tyrone
Algae Grower
 
Tyrone's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafil View Post
http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34...-E27-Base-.jpg

7x1w 60deg 6500K

air inch PAR
10 350
14 175
19.5 105
23.5 60
How much is that and where can I find one? I wanna try it out for my nano.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
~Tyrone~

Tyrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
devilduck's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 582
Default

Your definitely in the very high range. How long has this tank been running? I would expect an algae farm in a few weeks.
__________________
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Agent69
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 314
Default

The tank has been running with this lighting for about 2 1/2 weeks. Do you suggest I remove the PC or perhaps one of the LEDs?
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
prighello
Shrimp Bane
 
prighello's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Napa, Ca
Posts: 486
Default

I run two 12" finnex fixtures on my 7 gallon and as far as I could figure it was around medium light at 12" using the finnex par data. The spread across the tank was in the 40s. Not sure what the PC adds to that but I'd guess high with it on; you may not need it or could add some floating plants to tone it down a little. I run co2 and EI and so far no algae issues yet other than GSA on my anubias which I seem to get on that plant in every tank I've ever owned.
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #10
Agent69
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prighello View Post
I run two 12" finnex fixtures on my 7 gallon and as far as I could figure it was around medium light at 12" using the finnex par data. The spread across the tank was in the 40s. Not sure what the PC adds to that but I'd guess high with it on; you may not need it or could add some floating plants to tone it down a little. I run co2 and EI and so far no algae issues yet other than GSA on my anubias which I seem to get on that plant in every tank I've ever owned.
Thanks I use the PC bulb mainly to help supplement the front tank with more light for the hairgrass and baby tears. There is a big piece of driftwood covered heavily with moss helps absorb many nutrients but at the same times shades a large portion of the tank so I need the second led to light up the whole tank. I'm using pps pro ferts but I just started a few days ago so If I notice algae I might turn off the PC bulb co2 is at 1bps might bump it up drop checker is a light green color
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
dafil
Planted Member
 
dafil's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
How much is that and where can I find one? I wanna try it out for my nano.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it is a regular par30 led bulb,7x1w led(900-1000lm) w 60deg. optics
__________________
dafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
jamesyu
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 246
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post


Here is a picture of the lighting currently on the tank. Some people say its too much light but then others say its sufficient to be called medium to high. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
I call that a mess!!! =P just kidding. I think with the PC light it puts you at pretty much med-high, I would begin injecting Co2 in this instance and maybe start a fert regimen. Just my opinion,
jamesyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
Agent69
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyu View Post
I call that a mess!!! =P just kidding. I think with the PC light it puts you at pretty much med-high, I would begin injecting Co2 in this instance and maybe start a fert regimen. Just my opinion,
Well there is high co2 and im dosing pps pro ferts. The pc bulb alkne would put me at low-med light. Tank is heavily planted so if I notice algae I might take down one light. For now all I see is rapid growth and no algae

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
jamesyu
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 246
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
Well there is high co2 and im dosing pps pro ferts. The pc bulb alkne would put me at low-med light. Tank is heavily planted so if I notice algae I might take down one light. For now all I see is rapid growth and no algae

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Glad that you're not getting an algae issue. At least someone isn't. I do kind of find the finnex lights to be less than appropriate when lighting nanos. I can see how you would be at low-med light.

I hope all goes well -- wish you the best of luck!
jamesyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012