120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 91
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #1351
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Have any trimmings left over to sell?
Not now, but there's always next week
Stuff grows fast.

I trimmed the downoi and I thought I'd pull maybe 6-12 plants, turned out I needed to pull 30+ plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #1352
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

You are my fish tank hero, and I don't care who knows it.

pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #1353
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)

I hate looking at your Journals, Tom! Well, since the fire anyway... I will be home in mid October and can't wait to get my tanks started again!

I will be contacting you once I am back up and running!

As always, the tank looks great man.

I know I asked this before but I am a little unorganized at the moment... Do you know a good site where I can purchase AS?

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #1354
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Tom, I would like to get some pointers from you on growing reineckii. I hope mine would grwo to be like a tree too. My reineckii does not seem to grow new leaves at all. I have it in a spot where the light is moderate, and doing ei feritlization and co2. Everything else seem to be growing just fine. Should I move it to a place with less light and more flow?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #1355
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I hate looking at your Journals, Tom! Well, since the fire anyway... I will be home in mid October and can't wait to get my tanks started again!

I will be contacting you once I am back up and running!

As always, the tank looks great man.

I know I asked this before but I am a little unorganized at the moment... Do you know a good site where I can purchase AS?
Well, I had bad hair algae for a few weeks, turned out to be CO2.
I'm sure you do not miss doing that

I think either AFA or ADG will take care of you there. Call(do not email) and see. You need to sit down and really consider your design and scape and take the time to do it. Growing plants= fairly easy, but managing them and in a nice way is not the same thing, they do not behave the way you might want them and while you might be able to grow them nice..........scaping with them over time might tell a different story.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #1356
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
Tom, I would like to get some pointers from you on growing reineckii. I hope mine would grwo to be like a tree too. My reineckii does not seem to grow new leaves at all. I have it in a spot where the light is moderate, and doing ei feritlization and co2. Everything else seem to be growing just fine. Should I move it to a place with less light and more flow?
This seems to work fairly well for this plant.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #1357
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
This seems to work fairly well for this plant.
Thank you tom. Hopefully it will grow to a tree like yours.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #1358
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

hmm im back with sump questions

i think my duct tape is too awesome. i can't throttle my pump back enough to keep the media chamber submerged partially. it will straight up empty out and be full of air

so my question. do you think because i have a 3/4 line this could be an issue or is there something im missing here. i've resigned myself to poking a small hole to release some pressure and this does okay but if i don't keep the water level to flooding levels in any sort of emergency.. co2 goes POOF

its cheap stuff so i don't mind putting in more but my 5lb tank lasts 3 weeks on a 29 gallon!

previously would last 3-4 months with a cannister. plant growth is amazing. so im not truly complaining. but the grasshopper seeks direction from the wise one

thanks. and sorry for the hijack

BTW that is a huge tree.. why would you grow a tree in ur tank? LOL

page 2 of ur thread i noticed u had considered dwarf rainbows. i wish u had. i love my praecox and have only lost one to jumping in a 5 month period. almost lost another but it jumped because i scared it
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #1359
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post

i think my duct tape is too awesome. i can't throttle my pump back enough to keep the media chamber submerged partially. it will straight up empty out and be full of air

so my question. do you think because i have a 3/4 line this could be an issue or is there something im missing here. i've resigned myself to poking a small hole to release some pressure and this does okay but if i don't keep the water level to flooding levels in any sort of emergency.. co2 goes POOF
If I read that right you're throttling your pump to control flow. I've only done one overflow setup, but I'm under the impression that you want the pump to be the limiting factor. IE the overflow (when the water level is maxed out) flows faster than the pump can return water. As the water drops the overflow slows until the two match. It's worked well for me, and my overflow doesn't gurgle.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #1360
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post

its cheap stuff so i don't mind putting in more but my 5lb tank lasts 3 weeks on a 29 gallon!

previously would last 3-4 months with a cannister. plant growth is amazing. so im not truly complaining. but the grasshopper seeks direction from the wise one

thanks. and sorry for the hijack

BTW that is a huge tree.. why would you grow a tree in ur tank? LOL

page 2 of ur thread i noticed u had considered dwarf rainbows. i wish u had. i love my praecox and have only lost one to jumping in a 5 month period. almost lost another but it jumped because i scared it
One guy ran a small pressure line from the wet/dry section to the over flow and sealed the over flow also.

This keeps the gas at the same pressure in both locations and no escape.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #1361
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Found some rare Hygro sp Red, supposedly absent from the hobby for a few years.

Will see how it takes.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #1362
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

the whole benefit of the wet/ dry is to add oxygen

i like that part so i don't want a huge cannister. i keep trying new things so hopefully i will come up with something

i've tried having a needlewheel pump suck the air out so its getting recycled but that was a huge waste so i wont reccomend that to someone. i've just noticed how well urs works and was hoping for much the same result. and indeed by accident i had it right for the first 3 months but now im doing something wrong

also climber. if my pump is wide open the overflow handles it
my main problem is when i duct tape the wet/dry section all the water leaves that area leavign the media completely emmersed.it holds co2 very well that way but bubbles out air on the sump side about every five seconds, is very annoying and the media gets about 50% usage
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #1363
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure I'm following you. Once it's settled the amount of water entering the sump should equal the amount leaving, so you don't have a variable amount of air displaced. Can you make a diagram? I feel like I'm missing something.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #1364
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

i can take a picture

this was just taken. duct tape has a toothpick sized hole in one corner that vents off pressure currently OTHERWISE
the media chamber empties and air starts bubbling under the baffle to the sump area following the blue arrows

the green lines are current water levels with pressure relief hole made

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 01-14-2013 at 02:22 AM..
HD Blazingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #1365
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where is your CO2 being added? I think that may be the difference between our systems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.