120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 61
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #901
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetibet View Post
Absolutely beautiful!

I think something short, dark green and "fuzzy" textured for the empty space (if you don't rescape). Total noob here, so I don't have an actual plant suggestion. I think an airier texture and a dark green would create some balance though.
I have some Fissidens which fits that billing, I have not yet quite decided where I'll put a bit of it. Since I can attach to wood and make it any shape, it's versatile. Mini Pellia is another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #902
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Removed the Erios on the Right and moved them just for a bit over on the Left and planted a nice W type shape in the foreground in the front of the Red Ludwigia, Erio type 2 and the Pantanal.

Looks nicer than the gloss rug that was there prior and once it grows in, it should offer some more trimming options.

I also got a nice stem of Pilosa and I can show folks the color difference that just 5 days makes in this tank.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #903
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Is that the plant on the far left behind the UG? If not, what is that? I was meaning to ask you.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #904
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Added a few Elatine triandra to mimic the old spot where the Gloss was, but I'll make 3 small triangles, not one larger one.

Here you can see how the L. pilosa reddened after 5-6 days(the orange colored plant pair, vs the green one I just received in the front).
This would make a nice display plant in a row, or a large group, something few have done since it is semi slow growing and $$$.
Reminds me of the night plant succulent in gardens around here locally.

Double trunk elephant nose, there's 1 old bully, larger(about 4 years old now), and then the other 4 little ones.
I have a bird beak as well, but have not added him to any tank just yet, he use to be in a my 60 Gal cube.
I may place him in the 180 gal along with a 15 year old gold nugget male.

Last edited by plantbrain; 03-23-2012 at 05:35 AM..
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #905
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
Is that the plant on the far left behind the UG? If not, what is that? I was meaning to ask you.
Red low grow Hygro. H. araguaia

Nice plant.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #906
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

Nice plant.

That is a very cool plant and I'm glad I finally got some. Thanks again. Is that a Gnathonemus Petersii I see in there now. Thats not your typical fish you see in planted tanks but I like how you think outside the box.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #907
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Not the low grow hygro, this plant....

Quote:

What is this? It's Lovely.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #908
jgb77
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
What is this? It's Lovely.
Hello. That plant is Ludwigia Pilosa. See here for more pics/info.
John
jgb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #909
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
That is a very cool plant and I'm glad I finally got some. Thanks again. Is that a Gnathonemus Petersii I see in there now. Thats not your typical fish you see in planted tanks but I like how you think outside the box.
Yes, it is, I have 5 in this tank. There is a good reason why you never see them in planted tanks, people kill them with low O2/high CO2.

A few tetras? Give me a break, you keep these guys for a few years, or some of the others in the family(there are over 100, and about 12 or so that are sometimes avail in the hobby).

They are all trained to eat from my hand(At night only).
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #910
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb77 View Post
Hello. That plant is Ludwigia Pilosa. See here for more pics/info.
John
Yep, looks how green it was, and now see it?
The front stem is typical............the rear two are after about 5-6 days, they are still redding up, now sure how far red it will go, but I like the off orange color it has now.

Nice unique plant.

I have several ideas on scaping with it, but it will take more time but the a nice row in this display will highlight this plant really nicely.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #911
jgb77
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)

I was just looking over the various plant placements and design of this tank. It really is well done and thought out.
I would like to get an idea of the amount of time you put into it. How often do you trim the stems in this tank? Judging by the pictures, it would seem you trim them weekly, is this correct? Once you have the actual streets the size you want them, do you top the plants and replant and discard the bottoms? Seems like a lot of work. I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of the work that goes into the dutch style scape.
Thanks,
John
jgb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #912
peyton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:

Nice plant.

That is a nice looking plant. May have to add that one to the collection someday.
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #913
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb77 View Post
I was just looking over the various plant placements and design of this tank. It really is well done and thought out.
I would like to get an idea of the amount of time you put into it. How often do you trim the stems in this tank? Judging by the pictures, it would seem you trim them weekly, is this correct? Once you have the actual streets the size you want them, do you top the plants and replant and discard the bottoms? Seems like a lot of work. I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of the work that goes into the dutch style scape.
Thanks,
John
When I do a water change, I whack and few stems each time, but need to do something while it drains and fills. I do not change everything etc, I might trim some once a month, some not much if at all for months, others, might get a minor trim once a week, or a good trim monthly , others maybe weeks hack, but I sell the stems etc, and rotate things in/sell what's leaving.

Not sure the time, but it's not nearly what many assume it to be.
Some plants just topped, others get the uporoot and trim.
Erio type 3 grows nice and slow(uprooted and replanted), while Ludwgia red, get stopped more.

To redo a row or 2? Takes maybe 5 min.
I do not fuss with it.

Main thing is not going too far and known the plants. This tank grows all species fast and well..........so.........this just leaves the gardener's choices to do. Algae is kept at bay well due to good general care, water changes, trims, CO2/light.

Ferts really are a minor aspect, but it's the 80% of the questions I get, which to me is troubling...........since folks are not asking the right questions.

The journal is good for you to see it's not just magic etc.....you see the trimming each week in the pictures. Trim and pull up and top others.
You sort of experiment with each species and group and see what works best.

ADA's aqua journal and TFH often have trim articles and they are quite good, so look at those.
ADA spends more time on design, hardscape and trimming than most other aspects.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #914
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton View Post
That is a nice looking plant. May have to add that one to the collection someday.
It is still for sale in the Sponers/powerseller's forum
Old 03-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #915
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Ferts really are a minor aspect, but it's the 80% of the questions I get, which to me is troubling...........since folks are not asking the right questions.
i think its due to all the misinformation.
in my environmental science class 3 years ago, they taught that phosphate runoff causes massive algal blooms in ponds and streams. just phosphate. when i told the teacher about how in aquariums, where you can scientifically control the variables, weve seen that not to be the case and showed her some of your articles. she was astounded.
people get CO2+light, they know what photosynthesis is. but potassium uptake methods, and cellular uses are not nearly as common knowledge, and people cant figure out whats fact and whats fiction.

btw, how come your tanks are cloudy? do you post pics right after replanting, or are they always like that?