120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 134
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1996
houseofcards
Suspended

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomesj View Post
There is not much natural about planted tanks.
We're talking about what inspired the 'look' of the ADA nature aquarium, not the actual way it functions/upkeep compared to nature.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #1997
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Did some hacking again today, mowed some groups down and added the Red ludwigia back, then swapped the mini A reneckii for the R. macrandra, this produces a deeper darker red and a bright vibrant red contrast, rather than overloading one side too much with one or the other shades of red.

Using 1 red plant in a scape is one level, using 2, another, using 5-7, quite another matter. I'm happy with this grouping and I know it'll last for sometime.
the Green plants, I would like more erect stem like than the prostrate downoi and Erios, but, they are nice also.

The Type 3 Erio setaceum are very nice, but touchy to do over a year or two in this tank. Need a taller tank basically. L gigentea, or what is called that, is a good replacement, but so so weedy(2x a week hackings required).
I have a fair amount of the E. hydropiper, so I could redo the foreground, but I'll wait till this group of weeds fills in and then decide.

I think I have about 2 more weeks now till the tank is where I want.
Then I'll go back to the stemy stuff and add the E hydropiper again.
After a few weeks, couple of months, I'll see where I'm at.

Likely will redo the tank/hardscape entirely at that point.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #1998
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Source for that quotation?
Asked point blank at a convention. I've also read it again somewhere on the web. I'll see if I can find it. You can ask him yourself also
I have.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #1999
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tithra View Post
Just wanted to stop in and say that I love seeing updates about this tank.

The Dutch style aquascape is what got me interested in planted tanks initially. I love the groupings, the color, and the contrast. It kind of bums me out that not many here seem interested in this style.

Anyway, your tank is lovely and I look forward to more updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to be clear, it's somewhat far removed from strict Dutch style.
Way too much red and odd shapes, too much wood, the water is too rich in just about everything, tank is not enclosed etc. That said, the trimming methods, care and routines are very Dutch. Some of the general ideas come from Dutch styles.

While I am awe of awesome hardscaping skills, they do NOT represent pure horticultural skills. Plants vs driftwood/rock etc. Ultimately, this is a planted tank. Otherwise, a rift cichlid tank with nice aesthetic stone would qualify.

Amano does very well there with plants. As well as the Dutch styles, so let's not forget that either. He and ADA are FAR better photographers and we all know a pic is worth a 1000 words, maybe more. Dutch? I've rarely seen high grade pics and really good photoshoots.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #2000
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
..... That said, the trimming methods, care and routines are very Dutch. Some of the general ideas come from Dutch styles.
Maybe sometime you could do a thread or short video on said trimming methods & routines....(school us all on the techniques for the different plant types) that's what I've been looking for and cannot seem to find anywhere at all. I started a thread the other day for just such knowledge to reside. Marco's thread over on UKAPS has not yet done so either.

Thanks for all you do for us and can't wait to see your next aquatic garden.
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #2001
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
Maybe sometime you could do a thread or short video on said trimming methods & routines....(school us all on the techniques for the different plant types) that's what I've been looking for and cannot seem to find anywhere at all. I started a thread the other day for just such knowledge to reside. Marco's thread over on UKAPS has not yet done so either.

Thanks for all you do for us and can't wait to see your next aquatic garden.
hm Ive recently been wondering how to make those really bushy parts. I can do it with the d. diandra, but plants like Ludwiga hybrid red and of sort, how to you make them look busy? All the way to the top of the aquarium.

Dutch is also what got me into planted tanks. When I went all high tech, I wanted to grow all the rare plants. Recently, I got serious and want to do a dutch properly. I need to learn how to prune and stuff though before I move on. Plant choice is also crucial from what Ive experienced.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #2002
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Well, this tank is much more suited to collectoritus diseases which afflict many.
Perhaps Dutch styles reflect that best with discipline. But Nature style also reflects a strong sense of discipline. Both methods make strong use of space, whether the aquarist notices this fact, is quite another matter.

I'll do a Video in awhile.

Then some trim methods.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #2003
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Colors match pretty good now, flow better etc. Added the final plant groups.
I'll trim the Red Pantanal in a couple of days since it's so weedy anyway.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #2004
ua hua
Suspended

PTrader: (49/100%)

Beautiful pictures Tom and what a cute little Plantbrain. Teach her well so the future generations will have the same love for the hobby. The transitions from one group to the next looks really nice in these most recent pictures.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #2005
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Beautiful pictures Tom and what a cute little Plantbrain. Teach her well so the future generations will have the same love for the hobby. The transitions from one group to the next looks really nice in these most recent pictures.
Color scheme is much better, the bright red, dark maroon, Bright red and then dark red works well.

There's some conflict with stems vs rosette plants in the mid/foregronud species selection, but I'm not going to trim 24/7. Have to do what I have to do to get those colors I want with the species that will work.

I also was asked that this is such a different tank from Nature style, but.........

Is it? If I where to be a strict Dutch style, it would require removal of the hardscape and more plant changes actually than the Nature style, where I could leave the hardscape as it is, then change the plants , mostly in the mid/foreground to a main theme and then some accents.

Ironic in a way.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #2006
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

A bit more growth for the pennywort (1 week will be plenty) and then some filling in for the rear right corner, then a little trim, and this should be at the apex. I'll clean up the front edge and cut the foreground plants back about 1" to match up and provide a nice clean line without plants pressing against the front glass.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #2007
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I always wondered, how come you don't enter the IAPC? I believe your tank will do very well, especially if you did the Amano's NPT style.

What your KH in this particular tank?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #2008
Luminescent
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I wonder.........I'm not so sure. Might be a lack of examples too. I've seen some real creative stuff done over the years, just not as pretty pictures as ADA. It also seems that such creatively, while appreciated............does not hold a high esteem as many things in the hobby.
Oh I don't know..my sleeping beauty castle is getting some love on here. It's not just in being creative- its in Doing something different & having the guts to throw it out for the world to see. And it's in having an 'audience' that is smart and talented themselves.

Your design reminds me of this: an awe inspiringly beautiful French vegetable and flower cart I saw once. The organic lines, color and balance of weight.

Last edited by Luminescent; 09-22-2013 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Tornados
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #2009
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
Oh I don't know..my sleeping beauty castle is getting some love on here. It's not just in being creative- its in Doing something different & having the guts to throw it out for the world to see. And it's in having an 'audience' that is smart and talented themselves.

Your design reminds me of this: an awe inspiringly beautiful French vegetable and flower cart I saw once. The organic lines, color and balance of weight.
Yep, my view also, similar to reefs, that are often called "fruit stands".
and they ain't being nice
Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #2010
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
I always wondered, how come you don't enter the IAPC? I believe your tank will do very well, especially if you did the Amano's NPT style.

What your KH in this particular tank?
Why would I give the ADA corporation for FREE, a lot of my hard work to use as they please for a low placed position that offers nothing for me in return?
I know many excellent scapers that rank very low in these contest. It's a picture contest.

Aquatic Garden's Association?
Their contest is far better frankly.
Non profit and the oldest on line contest in the world for planted tanks.
I have never entered any contest, likely never will. Same with Judging contest. No body likes Judges also, unless you are the winner, which are only a few people.

I can share with a larger group without entering a contest. And I can help FAR MORE people this way, than I ever could entering contest. Which frankly is FAR more important philosophically to me at the end of the day than any contest. That is what motivates me, not a trophy.