120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 112
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #1666
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Very nice field of anubais white!
That must of been expensive!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #1667
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Holy snow white! That looks amazing.

I know I've said it before, but I love the downoi in that spot. I think this the best your tank has looked. I'd love to see it in person. Need anyone ET? Mine is getting think.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #1668
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

looking forward to seeing e. hydropiper in there. it should look really great.

question about the anubias white - does it need more light than a regular anubias to stay white like that? say if i were to put it in a 10 gal with the standard 15w light t8 hood, would it loose some/most of the white?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #1669
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Hi Tom have a question for you. I see that you have AS? If so, how you handle the dusty after moving the plants? And how you clean off the plant from dust? Is there a trick? Thanks.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #1670
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
Holy snow white! That looks amazing.

I know I've said it before, but I love the downoi in that spot. I think this the best your tank has looked. I'd love to see it in person. Need anyone ET? Mine is getting think.
Well, I explored a few things with the UG and then back to a more traditional grouping for Dutch style.

The Anubias is nice due to strong contrast and it is one of the few larger leaf plants.

The L. aquatica is a nice large stem plant. I replaced the Hydrothrix and the Erio in that location. While an easy fast growing stem, common somewhat, it fits nicely and can be pruned aggressively, has the right shade of green. There's a dutch tank I admire above most others that uses this plant very nicely.

ET took a week to acclimate, it was mushy, I also have someone outside, it'd done okay even with subfreezing temps. It's actually done better in the winter than the summer out there.

I also have some nice Rotala butter fly in the 180 that's doing well.
I now have a lot of it. Trying to figure out where it would be added and look good. Might just keep it in the 180 along with some of the other species that did not handle the current/placement and hacking routine.

I thought I got rid of the Lace plant in the 180, nope, they keep popping up.
I'm growing out some of the Ludwigia sphaerocarpa for some folks. The L peruensis I got and just saves a few, I'll trade or give that away I suppose.
Want any? Free to you.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #1671
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
looking forward to seeing e. hydropiper in there. it should look really great.

question about the anubias white - does it need more light than a regular anubias to stay white like that? say if i were to put it in a 10 gal with the standard 15w light t8 hood, would it loose some/most of the white?
I had some of the 1st Abubias that looked like this years ago, maybe 10-12?
Lots of people bugged me for some for a long time thereafter.

I treat them like any other plant, nothing special really, they grow slower due to less chlorophyll in the leaves, so perhaps higher light helps with growth rates. But many people have algae issues with high light. It's in the front corner where you can see them and where the light is lower, current is low there as well.

I'm not sure in answer to your question.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #1672
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
Hi Tom have a question for you. I see that you have AS? If so, how you handle the dusty after moving the plants? And how you clean off the plant from dust? Is there a trick? Thanks.
Light surface vacuuming can be done, do the trim 1st, then the large massive water change right away afterwards. I move plants around, but I also do water changes when I do.

The tank is a bit hazy at times in many pics for that reason.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #1673
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Hopefully the Anubias will fatten up over the next 2-3 months. This will make a nice group then:

I am waiting for the Elatine hydropiper, the ET will fill in fast enough in 2-3 weeks or so. The UG looks yellow again, but will fill in and be that nice mound like grass in a few weeks also. Downoi is growing well and adapted to the new location.

Overall, it's getting close but I have 3-4 things I would like to do even after the plants fill in(as if I'll stay put and not change something eh?)

1. I do not like the color of the L sphaerocarpa, it's a nice plant, I can grow the snot out of it. But that color, I need a better shade of red. I likely will go back to Rotala sunset.

Or keep search for something.

2. I'd like to replace the Syg belem with Syg "Lago Grande".

3. I may add more mini pellia on the side shot below to fill that space in under the wood. A nice larger bunch on a few smaller branches will make that a solid mat.

If I replace the L sphaerocrapa, then I'll need to find a home for it, but it can do well in the 180 gal and looks good in there.

Overall, I'm getting happier with the tank, the background I'm most pleased with as far as the plants, the R. macrandra will fill in and I'll let it form a canopy. It'll get crazy pink red then and not bother the adjacent plants much.

Once the foreground is in place and grows in a bit, things will look better. Some spots are farm spots right now like where the EH will go.

Maintaining the other spots is fairly straight forward from here though. Just need to work on the foreground a bit and that last red row on the left, fill the mini pellia in and maybe switch the Syg with Lago grandre if I can get some people who have it, but barely grow it, to sell me a stem or two.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #1674
laxaj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

That white Anubias looks great!
laxaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #1675
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxaj View Post
That white Anubias looks great!
Ain't cheap.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #1676
Acen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tom what are your params in this tank? can you list your GH, KH Temp etc.. My favorites plant come out of that tank and i wanna be sure im in a good range.
Acen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #1677
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Would you say that the white anubias grows to the same size as petite, or is it a little larger?
Its a plant I would love to have one day, but I can't justify the price to myself. Its even more expensive than buce's are now.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #1678
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acen View Post
Tom what are your params in this tank? can you list your GH, KH Temp etc.. My favorites plant come out of that tank and i wanna be sure im in a good range.
Gh is about 50ppm, KH dropped down, about 20ppm right now. Temp is 80F.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #1679
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Would you say that the white anubias grows to the same size as petite, or is it a little larger?
Its a plant I would love to have one day, but I can't justify the price to myself. Its even more expensive than buce's are now.
It'll likely remain high priced. You cannot go out and steal them from creek beds and then sell on the internet if you live in South East Asia. Many collectors have with the Buce's unfortunately instead of cultivating them and then selling them.

They have no choice with this plant however.
It's like the petite.

I think this plant would be a good candidate for TC however given the low chl content of the leaves, the media in TC can be modified to help the plant grow better if it lacks Chl a.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #1680
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Love the white anubias. Makes you wonder how something so heavily variegated could grow at all with so little chlorophyll or other pigments!

Gives a great contrast to the other plants as well- perfect for dutch tanks.