Nano tropical pond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #1
Shifumi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano tropical pond

I was cleaning today and I found this huge pot I could use for a nano pond type set up. Im keeping it indoors and my indoor temperature is 70-84 with the average being about 80 durring the day and 73ish at night.

im thinking no filter for now as I do not have any small filters atm, and theres no need for a heater at all.

well for now all I have done is used some water proof clay for sealing the hole and now am letting it dry
its eventual placement will be on a desk by the window that only gets some sunlight in the mornings and evenings but is well lit by indirect light all day

So Im thinking of this as a mini shrimp tank possibly?

it will be lushly planted but Im not sure what plants will be good, some should be able to grow out of water a bit, i think ill move my banana plant here eventually in hopes of flowers

anything else I can do besides shrimp?

Also the volume is somewhere around 5-8 gallons, not 100% sure, will do a measured fill after it drys enough

any advise or questions are always appreciated
Shifumi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 01:24 AM   #2
thefishnoob
Algae Grower

You could do mosquito fish, guppies, endlers, maybe platies/mollies. Id say shrimp would be good tho. Try a water lily maybe? I know bacopa would be cool there. Maybe try a dirted setup. This has potential!
thefishnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:18 AM   #3
Shifumi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishnoob View Post
You could do mosquito fish, guppies, endlers, maybe platies/mollies. Id say shrimp would be good tho. Try a water lily maybe? I know bacopa would be cool there. Maybe try a dirted setup. This has potential!

I have wild mosquito fish around me and they are easy to get so,
I have a small tribe of endlers in my 40 gallon,
I think shrimp would be the better idea.
I can always add a fish later if i want

not sure what shrimp color would be best as the color of the plants should be green and red for some, my waters fairly hard so bee shrimp and all there forms cant happen x.x I love ghost shrimp except they would be to hard to see, idk how im feeling about red cherry shrimp
I might want to stock it with snails too- probably nerites or Red ramshorns or mini ramshhorns ( small snails that grow to like 5-6 milimeters at most)
ok so im almost 100% not sure what plants id use. The only ones I already have that can be used is a single Banana plant ( its a great mini lily basically) and maybe Water Wisteria

I want to do a small dirt layer and then cover that with a layer of play sand for the substrate, maybe add a big rock or peice of drift wood

im going to try to do something similar to http://www.urbanaquaria.com/2013/12/...alcony_30.html I think its an amazing idea for an aquarium/pond

heres a picture of the location im thinking of for the nano pond

Old Today, 04:43 AM   #4
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

This is going to be cool!

As for stocking, platies and/or mollies would not work. More space is needed. Shrimp would be awesome. What about a betta?
I'm curious to see what the visibility will be like. Excited for your project!
Old Today, 06:01 AM   #5
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I started with a 6g planter pond and quickly replaced it with an 18g then finally settled on a 28g tub pond. I just found it extremely small for anything other than snails.

If you have to have fish, how about a couple of rosy red minnows? I currently have 5 2" goldfish and 3 minnows in my pond. They arent as bright as the goldfish but are quite noticeable from above.

I have maybe another 7-8 months before I have to replace the goldfish with more feeder fish but the minnows are perfectly fine.

AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #6
thefishnoob
Algae Grower

Like you have there, water hyacinth is cool. Maybe some forgbit or water lettuce too. If you don't like RCS try a variation like pumpkin neos. For plants moss is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:38 PM   #7
Shifumi
Algae Grower

ok so heres an update
I filled the pot with water today and well its about 3 gallons (more like 2.9)
This means this will have NO FISH , im not willing to have fish in such a small amount of water
if this was a little bigger I could do a betta, clown killifish,livebears, or other kilifish types

could I house an African dwarf frog if I dont add shrimp?

I would love to upgrade the tank, but I do like how this one looks and im not going to be upgrading my tanks till i move, and that will be about two years
so im keeping it as is.

besides plants I want to add- horned nerites or tracked nertites, and shrimp
the surface area is really nice actually and snails/shrimp dont care how deep it is.

well i have found a nice deal for some Bee shrimp, in several color forms from some one, they are going $2 a shrimp, he is currently growing them out so i have a while before id get them (2-4 weeks)
i know its a good deal, my only problem is would they be ok in the nano? the Gh- 180 KH-150 and ph around 7.6.
if that wont work ill have to go with a form of cherry shrimp or another species

Tags
nano, planted