5th time's the charm (I hope)? ADA 30-C
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Red face

5th time's the charm (I hope)? ADA 30-C

Tank and Stand
ADA Cube Garden 30-C with Glass Cover
Fluval Nano Stand

Lighting
Aquatop Nano Type-P LED Light

Filtration
Azoo Mignon Filter 60

Substrate and Hardscape
ADA Aqua Soil Powder Amazonia
Ohko Stones

Ferts
Flourish Excel

Flora
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Crypts
Hydrocotyle Japan
Anubias Nana Petite
Eleocharis Acicularis

Fauna
Clithon Corona
CRS or Amano Shrimp
Green Neon Tetras or Celestial Pearl Danios or Microrasboras

I've been away from the hobby for a long time due to work but as my schedule is less hectic now, I couldn't resist setting up a 30-C. I want to keep it low maintenance so the plan is to go low tech and only dose Excel.

I'm trying to grow hydropiper emersed in another 1 gallon tank right now to use in this tank and 90% of it has melted. Not sure if I want to buy another batch and try again in this tank instead. Anyone have experience growing it emersed or should I just try it submersed in this tank? I plan to either have hydrocotyle, some small crypts (petchii or nurii?), or anubias nana petite around the central area of the rocks, and cyperus helferi or eleocharis acicularis in the back.

I purchased the light after seeing PeterN1986 talk about it in his thread. It is really bright and I like how much sleeker it looks than the lights with the feet that rest on the rim of the tank. I only hope that it is enough light to grow the plants that I want, and that there is room on the left side to put the Azoo filter. Because I have a glass top, I'm limited to only using the back side for a HOB filter.

As for fauna, I haven't decided if I want to go shrimp only, fish only, or fish and shrimp. I'm partial to green neon tetras, but haven't been able to find them locally and am worried that they will hunt all the shrimp to extinction. I've had good luck with microrasboras and shrimp so I may go that route. I would like to have a carpeted tank before I add any livestock though.

All suggestions and comments are welcome. If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks for looking.

Sloppy silicone work on the back left corner. I guess ADA's quality really has gone down.

This was my first try. Maybe a little too contrived?

I then moved the left rock back a bit. Moved a small rock from the front into the back. I now also have more room to plant around the main rock, but the main rock is also not as stable and falls over easily. I might have to use silicone to glue the rocks together.

Last edited by volatile; 12-29-2013 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: resized pictures
volatile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
10G
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking nice and cleeaaan! Straighten that front line out :p
10G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10G View Post
Looking nice and cleeaaan! Straighten that front line out :p
Hehe, I have a preference for messy/uneven front lines. Those perfectly straight lines always felt a bit too unnatural for me.

My hydropiper melted so I picked up a pot of HC today. Going to try the DSM (dry start method) using this Aquatop light. I can't completely cover the tank with plastic wrap due to how the light attaches in the back, so I hope it stays humid enough.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
sandiegoryu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm looking to set up an ADA 30-C sometime in the near future. I will be closely following your tank! Looks great so far.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Hehe, I have a preference for messy/uneven front lines. Those perfectly straight lines always felt a bit too unnatural for me.

My hydropiper melted so I picked up a pot of HC today. Going to try the DSM (dry start method) using this Aquatop light. I can't completely cover the tank with plastic wrap due to how the light attaches in the back, so I hope it stays humid enough.
If you show a full tank/light view with the cover on I'm sure others that have done DSM can offer advice and ways to seal the tank (possibly with multiple pieces of tape and some more wrap).
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoryu View Post
I'm looking to set up an ADA 30-C sometime in the near future. I will be closely following your tank! Looks great so far.
Thanks! I originally wanted something smaller and got an ADA Mini-S. Due to AFA's carelessness, the Ohko stones that they sent were not appropriate for my Mini-S at all. One of the rocks takes up almost the entire tank. So then I decided to get a 30-C as it has more room, is taller, and fits nicely on the Fluval Nano stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
If you show a full tank/light view with the cover on I'm sure others that have done DSM can offer advice and ways to seal the tank (possibly with multiple pieces of tape and some more wrap).
I have 2 pieces of plastic wrap on the tank. I went to bed last night and woke up this morning with the tank still having condensation on the glass and plants, so I think I'm okay. However, I did end up putting tape on the back area this morning just to make sure.

I taped the middle area of the light clamp, as well as the left and right sides. I'm running the lights for 10 hours a day (2pm-midnight) and plan to open it up at least once a week. I saw people said they poke holes in the plastic, whereas others say it needs to be airtight?

Condensation still on my tank, 11 hours after the tape went on.

Last edited by volatile; 12-29-2013 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: resized pictures
Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post

I have 2 pieces of plastic wrap on the tank. I went to bed last night and woke up this morning with the tank still having condensation on the glass and plants, so I think I'm okay. However, I did end up putting tape on the back area this morning just to make sure.

I taped the middle area of the light clamp, as well as the left and right sides. I'm running the lights for 10 hours a day (2pm-midnight) and plan to open it up at least once a week. I saw people said they poke holes in the plastic, whereas others say it needs to be airtight?

Condensation still on my tank, 11 hours after the tape went on.
Glad to hear condensation is staying visiblein there where its suppose to. From the photos it looks like a fine, simple, but functional seal on the tank (simple is always good)^^ I can't offer any advice on air holes vs no holes

Look forward to seeing how the tank progresses.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So it's been almost 2 weeks since I started the DSM. Initially, I was not misting every day and the HC stayed nice and green. However, I saw some videos/guides where people were misting every day and thought I should try it as well. My HC has spread but now I have yellowing leaves and melting. Is it because I misted every day? Or maybe I sprayed too much water? I left the tank unopened for 30 mins today in case I had too much moisture in there.

Tank on 11/19.

Tank today.

Last edited by volatile; 12-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: changed order of pictures
Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
RubenG3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lookin nice
RubenG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since the last update, I went back to once a week mistings. I added hairgrass 2 weeks ago and it has slowly sent out runners. Here is the tank on 12/29.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Filled with water 3 days ago and started dosing Excel. The water pushed around the Aquasoil and dislodged a lot of my HC. Really not looking forward to replanting the HC individually. Some of the HC is wilting/fuzzy while the rest seems to be thriving. If the HC doesn't work out I may try my hand at an all Hydrocotyle Japan carpet. I'm also waiting for the hairgrass to filll out in the back left and right.

The water is pretty cloudy even though I ran another HOB filter with a bag of Purigen. But maybe the Purigen is too old or needs bleaching.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #12
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I really like the rocks in there. So jagged and "sharp" to the eye. I see you mentioned green neons or mirorasboras, will you be adding them soon?

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
volatile
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
I really like the rocks in there. So jagged and "sharp" to the eye. I see you mentioned green neons or mirorasboras, will you be adding them soon?
Thanks NanoDave. I probably won't add them anytime soon as I want to wait to see if the HC carpet will establish itself again. The last thing I want to do in a small tank like this is put fish in it and then have to deal with replanting the HC every day.

On an unrelated note, some of the Aquasoil Powder has already started turning to mush, and it has only been a couple months (including the dry start) =(

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.