Planaria- not that bad?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
lurrch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Planaria- not that bad?

This morning I found some little wriggling worms in my substrate. From what I've read online, everyone seems very concerned about removing them but no one seems to think they are particularly harmful. I just noticed the worms today, but I suspect that my knifefish has been eating them for weeks. He's been much less interested in these shrimp pellets he used to like, so either he's not eating or he's found something else.

What if anything should I do about them? As I see it, they're cleaning the substrate and feeding my most finicky eater.
lurrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

cut back on the amount of food your feeding, wipe down the tank and do water changes..
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Warlocks right, cut down on feeding and change more water. They are necessarily harmful they're just not a great sign
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA View Post
Warlocks right, cut down on feeding and change more water. They are necessarily harmful they're just not a great sign
NOT harmful
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Al Slick
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

that sounds like good advice to me!
Al Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I had these with no fish to eat them. They occur in newer tanks and by cutting down the feeding they will go away eventually.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I notice them when I stir the sand. My nitrates are low, and I do 50% water changes weekly. Maybe I do overfeed, but if theyre not parasitic, I can handle a little planaria. Now I know what my bala shark and blue rams are constantly picking at in the substrate.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

The reason most people are concerned with them is because they can attack and possibly kill a shrimp. When it's a high grade crystal of taiwan bee, sucks to loose a $40 shrimp to a little worm, so getting rid of them is important. Most fish will eat them though, so in a planted/fish tank they probably don't last as long.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I had planaria(such a nasty worm), my fish would not touch them. I'd catch a planaria with a tweezer, drop it in a shoal of fish, and none of the fish (ember tetra, cardinals, CPDs, dwarf pencilfish) would touch it. Some would swim close to it, put their mouths right to it, and quickly swim away. Some people say there is a toxic slime that coats the worm. I would believe that since my fish eat everything else including nematodes.

Feeding less will definitely reduce it, if you are really impatient and want to knock them up, put some dewormer medicine in the tank, and you won't see planaria again. I left a specific amount of flubendazole (deworming medicine for humans) in the the tank a few days, haven't seen planaria since.
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
Feeding less will definitely reduce it, if you are really impatient and want to knock them up, put some dewormer medicine in the tank, and you won't see planaria again. I left a specific amount of flubendazole (deworming medicine for humans) in the the tank a few days, haven't seen planaria since.
Would that kill anchor worms also? I've noticed anchorworms on one of my rams for months and months now. She eats well, had amazing coloration, and is confident and happy, but I do notice the occasional anchor worm on her. I can probably assume the rest of the fish are infected too even though she is the only one I ever see them on. They don't seem to be harming her, but if I can get rid of them I sure will. If flubendazole works...where does one find it, and how about dosing amounts?
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
lurrch
Algae Grower

I've probably overfed a little bit. I don't think I have an infestation, just a few under where the autofeeder dumps. I'll move that to a different spot, but I'm not going to do anything drastic.

chiefroastbeef, I'm pretty sure my knifefish is eating at least a few. It's a bit more of a carnivore than the ones you listed, so maybe that has something to do with it.
lurrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My guppies eat planaria.
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote