Red Cherry Shrimp repeating dropping eggs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Unhappy

Red Cherry Shrimp repeating dropping eggs

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to raising red cherry shrimp so sorry for the long post asking for help . I've been housing ~30 RCS in a cycled bare bottom, moderately planted, 10 gallon tank. The females are constantly pregnant with eggs but most, if not all, are dropping their eggs.

The temperature is ~72 to 74, pH 6.5, nitrites and ammonia are 0, nitrates ~10ppm, hardness is 50ppm.

Would RCS drop eggs due to the current being too strong in the water? I have a HOB filter covered with a sponge. However, most of the current comes from a bubble curtain in the back. It is strong enough that there is constant circulation but not to the point that the shrimp aren't able to swim easily through the curtain. Is the bare bottom amplifying the current?

Other besides that a few weeks back I went to visit a friend for a weekend and dropped in a 3-day feeder pellet usually meant for fish. I guess this was too much food for the shrimp and when I returned the sides of the tank were covered in white fungus from overfeeding. Since then all the fungus is gone, needless to say I won't be doing that again >.>
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Current shouldn't matter. I've kept my cherries in my tank with my rena filter before and now they are in a divided tank with an aquaclear right and a big sponge filter.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Current shouldn't matter. I've kept my cherries in my tank with my rena filter before and now they are in a divided tank with an aquaclear right and a big sponge filter.
Would you happen to know what could be causing them to repeatedly drop eggs :X?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure why they are dropping their eggs, never experienced that with any of my shrimp, so I can't comment. As for the feeder, don't worry about doing that again for only a weekend. Shrimp can go a long time without feeding pellets. They can find a million things to eat in substrate or the plants. I routinely "starve" mine for a day or two without feeding pellets or anything else just to let them eat some natural stuff from the tank instead of pellets all the time.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Not sure why they are dropping their eggs, never experienced that with any of my shrimp, so I can't comment. As for the feeder, don't worry about doing that again for only a weekend. Shrimp can go a long time without feeding pellets. They can find a million things to eat in substrate or the plants. I routinely "starve" mine for a day or two without feeding pellets or anything else just to let them eat some natural stuff from the tank instead of pellets all the time.
Thanks for the help. I will generally not feed them one day a week to let them flush out their systems. I thought doing so for 2 days would starve them o.O, thanks for that clarification! I guess the one problem would be since its a bare bottom tank there isn't a substrate for them to look for stuffs in
Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Thanks for the help. I will generally not feed them one day a week to let them flush out their systems. I thought doing so for 2 days would starve them o.O, thanks for that clarification! I guess the one problem would be since its a bare bottom tank there isn't a substrate for them to look for stuffs in
You do have plants in the tank though right? Get some mosses, all kinds of little things will make the moss home and the shrimp will feed on that. I have lots of mosses for my babies to hide in and they spend their first week or so hiding in there eating little things they find.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You do have plants in the tank though right? Get some mosses, all kinds of little things will make the moss home and the shrimp will feed on that. I have lots of mosses for my babies to hide in and they spend their first week or so hiding in there eating little things they find.
Yes, I have mosses. I suppose I should get more to create more cover for the babies (if the females ever decide to actually go through with the birth)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

My shrimp have dropped their eggs usually twice before they keep them. They are also brand new adults so maybe it's a learning curve they have to learn. I have noticed that the first time my shrimp carry they seem to have more eggs than they can fit under their underside. (learning curve also...not sure)
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
My shrimp have dropped their eggs usually twice before they keep them. They are also brand new adults so maybe it's a learning curve they have to learn. I have noticed that the first time my shrimp carry they seem to have more eggs than they can fit under their underside. (learning curve also...not sure)
That too. read that sometimes first time moms will drop their eggs until they learn how to take care of them and what not. And yes, after each batch, they can seem to carry more and more eggs, more make it to term, etc.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
I have heard that newer mothers will drop their eggs. I guess my main concern is that ALL the shrimps have been dropping eggs, including this HUGE one (~1.5") that is most definitely not a new mom (unless... it really is or something). I have had the shrimps for about 3 weeks now so it might be very possible it has only been their first or second pregnancy.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

They're usually pretty adaptable to new environments, and if they are berrying (rather than having arrived berried) then you're good. They'll start holding onto the eggs in the next month and by christmas you should have tiny shrimp swimming around. It often takes them a couple of months to settle in and start reproducing in earnest.

The current shouldn't be a problem, but if it is, you'll see shrimp being washed around by it or all of the shrimp huddled in one tiny spot in the tank where there is low flow. I've got 2 or 3 culled cherry shrimp that I threw into my native river tank that are living just fine in a 55 gallon tank with 600 gph flow in one direction. They've managed to avoid being eaten somehow so far (it's been a month) though they have not yet reproduced.
jasonpatterson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
They're usually pretty adaptable to new environments, and if they are berrying (rather than having arrived berried) then you're good. They'll start holding onto the eggs in the next month and by christmas you should have tiny shrimp swimming around. It often takes them a couple of months to settle in and start reproducing in earnest.

The current shouldn't be a problem, but if it is, you'll see shrimp being washed around by it or all of the shrimp huddled in one tiny spot in the tank where there is low flow. I've got 2 or 3 culled cherry shrimp that I threw into my native river tank that are living just fine in a 55 gallon tank with 600 gph flow in one direction. They've managed to avoid being eaten somehow so far (it's been a month) though they have not yet reproduced.

Yup, even my cherries took about 4 months to start getting busy. A lot of that was me rescaping, doing too big of WC's, lots of other things. Now, that they are settled in, I have probably a 100 babies or so.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post

That's good news :]. Yea the shrimp are happily swimming around even through the bubble curtain (no problems even going through it). Glad I don't have to turn that off to keep up the flow of water in the tank.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
Martin_G
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

My tank isn't a "barebottom" tank as I have substrate in it (black Eco-complete) with a number of plants & mosses.

The shrimp (cherries) forage around in the plants & substrate w/o a problem. When I first got them and the (new) adult females were berried over 85% of the fry were lost.

Could this have been from being NEW adults, NEW mothers, or just not settled in completely? I don't have a definite answer about these, however, since most of the females are now on their 3rd or 4th time being "berried", there are now much more fry in the tank.

Perhaps it was a combination of all three and not just one thing that caused problems in the beginning (new adults,mothers, & being settled).

My filter (Aquaclear #30 150gph) has a little bit of a current but the shrimp appear to "play" in the current rather than avoid it.

HTH,

Martin
Martin_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #15
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_G View Post
My tank isn't a "barebottom" tank as I have substrate in it (black Eco-complete) with a number of plants & mosses.

The shrimp (cherries) forage around in the plants & substrate w/o a problem. When I first got them and the (new) adult females were berried over 85% of the fry were lost.

Could this have been from being NEW adults, NEW mothers, or just not settled in completely? I don't have a definite answer about these, however, since most of the females are now on their 3rd or 4th time being "berried", there are now much more fry in the tank.

Perhaps it was a combination of all three and not just one thing that caused problems in the beginning (new adults,mothers, & being settled).

My filter (Aquaclear #30 150gph) has a little bit of a current but the shrimp appear to "play" in the current rather than avoid it.

HTH,

Martin
I'm glad your shrimp were able to exponentially increase after their first few batches. Unfortunately for me so far not a single fry, heck, not a single egg that made it :[. I guess if I thought logically if the adults were swimming through the bubble curtain and around the tank it MUST not be that strong >.>

Thanks for the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.