LED Lighting for 8' x 2' set up?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
fishtank01
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

LED Lighting for 8' x 2' set up?

Hello,

I have a dilemma. I'm working on a 8' x 2' area that contains eight 10 gallon aquariums. Aquarium dimensions are all approx. 2' x 1' x 1'.

I'm trying to find an economical solution to lighting these aquariums. I would prefer to use LED, although it is an area I have no experience. Anyone have any ideas?

I've attached a rough diagram of the set up and dimensions.

And I'm using these tanks for experimentation - so substrates, water parameters, water level, etc. will be different in each tank, possibly - and subject to change. These tanks will be used for low light to high light plants, and invertebrates/fishes.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10gallonsetup.png
Views:	35
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	35029  

fishtank01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

You're going to have lots of different variables but want one constant light? Can't say that LED would be economical....

You'd have to run them for a super long time(like 10 years) to even break even with electricity costs. If you don't intend to DIY them, then you will take even longer...

I light my breeding racks with shop light fixtures. They work great and grow many plants fine, but are on the low side of lighting.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
fishtank01
Algae Grower

Overstocked -

I don't necessarily mean just one fixture. Right now I'm leaning towards one fixture lighting tanks 1-4 and a second fixture lighting tanks 5-8. This way I can control each side to different levels of intensity. Or maybe I should use 1 fixture for every 2 tanks? But then it's getting a little more complicated and I definitely do not want to light them individually.

But, assuming I purchase 1 fixture large enough for the area, I could use a translucent material above an individual tank to deflect light without changing the lighting in other tanks. So 1 fixture is not off the table. But honestly, I don't they even make 8' fixtures.

Do you use shop grade light bulbs with your fixtures on your breeding racks?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency

Is 12W LED per tank good enough for you?

The cost is around $50-80 per tank using MR 16 bulbs.

For tank that demands more light, add one more bulb 3x2W bulb and those that does not use 2 3x2W bulbs. Finally, for those that need very little light you can go 2 pcs of 4x1W

BTW, are you in/from SUNY Buffalo, I am an alumni?
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
fishtank01
Algae Grower

Wing -

Yes, I think that 12W would cover a high light planted environment. Is that an individual fixture/tank that you're thinking of?

Or do you have any specific brands/models you could share through a link that I could look at?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank01 View Post
Wing -

Yes, I think that 12W would cover a high light planted environment. Is that an individual fixture/tank that you're thinking of?

Or do you have any specific brands/models you could share through a link that I could look at?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5175109...57626179555248

Use a 12V ac/dc adapter with a 1 to 4 splitter, you can add any amount of the bulbs as long as the adapter can handle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5175109...7626054771511/

One of my own 20G extra tall employs 3 3x2W with a remote control to dim them. I just put them on a pcs of acrylics. You can, of course, build a fixture with acrylics or such.

For other full fixture, how you like this look?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5175109...57626054771511
It's fixture heat sink, you DIY LEDs inside. How every most drivers goes in lowest of 3 pcs 3W LED. So your choice will be 9W, 12W, 15W....
Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
fishtank01
Algae Grower

Wing -

Ok I just saw your last link.

So you recommend 1 fixture/tank. I was more thinking 1-4 fixtures for the entire set up - something that hangs as opposed to sits on the top of the tank.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

4 fixtures are much better than 1 unless you expect you will never change the configuration.

Anything about 4' is very hard to handle IMO.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
fishtank01
Algae Grower

Wing -

So (4) 2' fixtures w/12W LED (per tank). That set up would involve how many actual bulbs? And what is the heat generated from these bulbs?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just tested the temperature of 30W Cree LED with 24" of the heat sink fixture mentioned above, the hottest spot on the fixture is <40 degree C after 2 hours of operation. That's they are safe to operate even without fan.

Just not to be confused, this heat sink fixture is not using the mR16 bulbs, they using Cree Xp diodles directly glued to the heat sink.

As I don't always read the forum, can you IM me ussing the Google Talk or such? It will alert me of your msg much faster.

Tags
led, lighting