lbacha's Emersed Setup (Lots of pics enjoy) - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #61
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

What is your review of the hydrocol clay balls? I'm thinking of trying them. I have an empty 20L in on my Table "rack". How deep did you go? I'm thinking Cryts & Java fern. Not sure if the Java will work???

I currently use MTS in my emeresed tanks.

Thanks
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #62
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
What is your review of the hydrocol clay balls? I'm thinking of trying them. I have an empty 20L in on my Table "rack". How deep did you go? I'm thinking Cryts & Java fern. Not sure if the Java will work???

I currently use MTS in my emeresed tanks.

Thanks
I really don't have much to review right now, I only have lagenandras in it right now and they have only been in there for a couple weeks, the biggest issue is supporting the plant until they root, my L thwaitesii was pretty big and it kept falling now that it has developed some roots it supports itself. I'm going to try some crypts in it this weekend to see how they do in it. I saw a thread at APC where a russian hobbiest was using hydroton and his crypts and anubias's where growing great so I know it works. I really wish they sold it in a size about half of what it comes then it would be great.

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #63
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

How did I miss this tank!?!? I love it! I am planning on doing a 75g emersed (48x20x20). This is really helpful! Can't wait to see what species you get next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
Yes, bottom left is the HZ. The one next to it is Lysimachia nummularia. I'm pretty sure the last one is some type of Polygonum. Polygonum hydropiperoides if I had to guess, but I can't say for sure.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...ery_stemsc.jpg

The one in the lower right-hand corner isn't hydropiperoides, hydropiperoides have no red on them. I would bet money saying that plant is Polygonum kawagoeanum.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #64
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Len - Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing how well the crypts do in that media.

I now have an Acrylic 40gl available http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...good-idea.html I think it will make a good hydroponic tank. I have an idea about making a circulation pump from a power head.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #65
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Well I just added some C nurii to my emersed set-up, I ordered two plants and got all this, I can't complain. I bought it to see how it does in rockwool and well I guess I'm getting plenty to test with.

Len
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #66
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Len - Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing how well the crypts do in that media.

I now have an Acrylic 40gl available http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...good-idea.html I think it will make a good hydroponic tank. I have an idea about making a circulation pump from a power head.
Well I just planted a C wendtii in it so we will see, I did have an issue with a L meeboldii I had in it but I'm not sure if it was an issue with the plant. It was originally submersed grown and it had melted bad by the time I planted it. When I got home today the rhizome had esentially melted, I cut the bad part away and planted the rest in AS malaya so we'll see what happens, a L thwaitesii I have in it has rooted well and is solidly in the pot so we'll see if it was a fluke.

Len
Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #67
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
Up to about 1/2" to the top so alot more than you, how are you measuring humidity? also if the temp where the tray is is high you won't see as much condensation on the walls of the dome. Condensation only occurs when there is a temp difference on the surface that is being condensated on. My ambient temperature in the apartment is 70-74 degrees F and the humidity stays between 55-60% (this may be a factor as well, I don't know). I have a ton of plants in my apartment so my humidity levels are much higher than most, I actually work to keep them below 60% so I don't get any mold or fungus growing on anything (now that winters coming it won't be that big of an issue).

Len
My humidity is about 75-85% according to my gauge. It seems to cap out at 80 after an hour.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #68
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
My humidity is about 75-85% according to my gauge. It seems to cap out at 80 after an hour.
What is the humidity in the room where the tray is at? I wonder if that has a impact on it. For the most part though as long as you are above 70% or so you will be fine, the leaves will dry out while they are converting between submersed to emersed but the new leaves will actually be tougher from what I have heard if you keep the humidity lower. The new leaves on my wendtii in my almost 100% humidity domes arn't much different than the submersed leaves but when you see the crypts come from places like Flordia aquatic nursury the leaves are thicker, I'm sure they don't grow them in 100% humidity and that is the reason why.

Len
Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #69
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Wow Len, I totally missed this. We are, in fact, on the same page that is the same rack I was going to get even I got a Buce 'Sintang" if you are up for a trade soon. It just flowered underwater but its got some nice sized side shoot id trade. You got a few crypts id like to add to my collection. Haha, we are even on the same page on the terrestrial mosses. I got a few of those too. Along with 11 submergable mosses Great work and I cant wait to see this thread progress, its super nice. And I see you get some of your stuff from great guys like L4R
Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #70
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Hmmm...okay then I guess I'll see then. I've seen FAN's grow zones. They keep them under a huge like pavilion thing in open air in Florida. So humidity is probably like a constant 70%
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #71
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Well I just got some new plants, I also had a casualty, one of my bucephelandras melted, the rhizome still looks good but the leaves and roots melted away, odd thing is the two buces on either side of it are doing great, new roots and leaves. fingers crossed that leaves grow from the rhizome.

Len
Old 10-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #72
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Well I went more high tech I set up a 40 breeder with a circulation pump and the coolest thing ever a mistking, if you have ever seen the misters like they have in the vegetable section at some grocery stores it is like that, I figure if veggies like it them my aroids will too, it's a test for my terrarium anyways. I'm going to let it run a day or so then add plants. I want to see where temp and humidity stay on it.

Len
Old 10-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #73
peyton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
How did I miss this tank!?!? I love it! I am planning on doing a 75g emersed (48x20x20). This is really helpful! Can't wait to see what species you get next.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...ery_stemsc.jpg

The one in the lower right-hand corner isn't hydropiperoides, hydropiperoides have no red on them. I would bet money saying that plant is Polygonum kawagoeanum.
I agree it doesn't look like emersed hydropiperoides and it would lean towards kawagoeanum. However in good light hydropiperoides can turn red almost as much as kawagoeanum. Here is some hydropiperoides I collected locally (sorry, crappy phone pic)
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #74
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (112/99%)

Updated pic on the 40g please. =)
looking4roselines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #75
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
Updated pic on the 40g please. =)
You asked for pics here you go..

Some specs
Tank: 40G breeder (thanks $1 a gallon special petco)
Light: 2 x 6500k T8 (I'm planning on a 36" light fixture have to figure out what though(
Water Circulation: small powerhead (I plan on drilling the tank and adding a sump)
Air Circulation: small CPU fan
Humidity: Glass top and mistking (I mist twice a day for 20s right now)

Full set-up (the mistking pump is under the tank on the floor)

Full tank from the front (you can see the PC fan in the upper right corner)

The mistking mister (more high tech than needed but it is neat)

And now for why I set this up the Bucephelandra collection (oh yeah there are some nice crypts and lagenandras as well)

B sokan - this was one of the first ones I got and I really like it (it has a few new roots coming off it now)

B sokan 3 'Shine Blue' (I've had it one week and already it has small fuzzy roots)

B sokan 4 'Shine Green' (I didn't see any new roots but their is some fresh growth at the tip of one of the long roots)

B sanggau 2 (This is one of the bigger ones I got)

B longwave 2 (already has a new root also a larger one)

B kapit (One of my first one 3 weeks old, it has 2 new leaves and a new root) I love the small size

B belindae (You don't see leaves like this very often)

B s malinau (unfortunatly this one has melted, the rhizome still looks good so I have my fingers crossed, this is why I have a new emersed set-up)

Well I hope you like my new plants and set-up stay tuned and I'll keep you up to date on how they grow for me.

Len

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.