lbacha's Emersed Setup (Lots of pics enjoy) - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #166
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
What are going to use as a growing medium? Or are you going to switch it up per each plants needs?

As you can see I'm not very consistent with my growing mediums, I use uncut sphagnum for my jewel orchids, hydroton for ferns, crypts, lagenadras, and anubias, the tub with the pinnatifida and reinekii is just a bag of potting soil, there are some crypts in hydroton, I've used alot of AS malaya (I'm curing this stuff right now) but I will be changing to AS amazonia whenever a new box arrives in the states (they are saying the end of this month) The large pot of Macodes petola is in a standard bark based orchid mix, I use african violet mix for crypthansus and schitsmatoglottis, I have a tray with worm castings in it full of c wendtii tropica and red there is another tray with a seed starting mix that has staurogyne repens in it, for the mosses I'm growing I normally use uncut sphagnum but I'm experimenting with the water absorbing crystals you ad to potting soil. I also have some floramax that I've planted anubias, lagenadra and aglaonema in. As you can see I'm not very consistent, lol...

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #167
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Oh yeah I almost forgot I use coco coir for philodendron cuttings.

Len
Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #168
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Wow Len, you really give them all the test shot huh? Have you used Malaya before and did anything do good for you in it?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #169
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Wow Len, you really give them all the test shot huh? Have you used Malaya before and did anything do good for you in it?
I was using malaya in my aquarium and it worked really well for me so I used the leftovers (almost 2/3 of a bag) to pot all my buces and emersed crypts in. Unfortunatly most of the clear and white water crypts I have melted while the blackwater did fine. I also had occational issues with the buces that have caused me to transplant them. I thought it was the set-up but your statement on Nick thread got me to thinking that I have only had issues with Malaya nothing else. I'm going to get some Amazonia once big bags are back in the states and do some major transplanting ans see what happens. My guess is that the PH of malaya is too acidic when you don't have a whole aquarium of water to nutralize it. Just a guess for me.

Len
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #170
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
And finally a bucket of H pinnatifida and A reinekii (There are a couple Staurogyne "purple" in there now.

Enjoy Len
Love the pics! Pinnatifida is a weed emersed though, watch the runners or else they will take over everything else (learned the hard way when i didn't watch it for like a week).
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #171
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
Love the pics! Pinnatifida is a weed emersed though, watch the runners or else they will take over everything else (learned the hard way when i didn't watch it for like a week).
It's a weed in my aquarium too, I trim it weekly and just throw it in here that where the reinekii came from as well
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #172
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
It's a weed in my aquarium too, I trim it weekly and just throw it in here that where the reinekii came from as well
Same it is a weed submersed too. I am going too honestly say it has been more of a weed emersed though. I know alot of people say it grows slower emersed, but i greatly disagree.
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #173
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

The mosses from your parents' lake are terrific.

Any updated shots of them?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #174
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The mosses from your parents' lake are terrific.

Any updated shots of them?
They didn't do well in the high humidity environment I put them in I may get some more next year
Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #175
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Where is the water level relative to the substrate surface in the container with the UG? I'm having some issues with my emersed UG. It looked like it dried out shortly after I changed lighting, but it was very close to the water level. It's possible that I baked it, but I don't think the air in the container ever got above 80.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #176
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
Where is the water level relative to the substrate surface in the container with the UG? I'm having some issues with my emersed UG. It looked like it dried out shortly after I changed lighting, but it was very close to the water level. It's possible that I baked it, but I don't think the air in the container ever got above 80.
No water level just damp uncut sphagnum moss, this seem to work well for moss as well I put my RH probe in there and it was above 95% and there is always moisture on the lid, they must like it because they have been flowering for 2 months and if you look at the bottom there are roots everywhere, I wasn't sure how well this low tech method would work but it seems to be fine, I will say temps probably stay in the high 60's to low 70's though since it is on the bottom shelve and there is no heating at night.

Len
Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #177
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

M. goodyera is a sick looking orchid! Got one for sale/trade bro?

Setups are coming along nicely.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #178
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
M. goodyera is a sick looking orchid! Got one for sale/trade bro?

Setups are coming along nicely.
I should be able to take a cutting of it when I get back from Thailand I'll let you know it will be about three weeks

Len
Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #179
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

great looking setup with lots of great looking plants! Hows the c. Nurii doing? I didnt see a follow up on that one unless i missed it ha..
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #180
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

should build a water system to feed your soil water every day keep it nice and wet.
I use the same system for growing plants indoor for aquarium plant grow and it work super.

coco nut soil stuff is pretty good, give it a try.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote